The "UNOFFICIAL" Hydra FAQ thread....

The Kindernay with a belt sounds good. Or just a Kindernay to a super strong and wide half-link chain. I am looking at a bike with a IGH and a half-link chain right now. This combo is so much better than an 11-speed. The chain line is always laser straight with a IGH. This one is a 42 to a 16-T cog. My BBS02 and HD ate my 11-speed chains and cassettes and I am a bike mechanic who has years working on chainsaws. I know about keeping chains cleaned and lubed. With this much power it is just the force is too high on such a thin chain on the sprockets. The new cargo bike IGH would be a lower initial cost possibility with 500 pound cargo durability.
Chainsaw sprocket.
1618185914017.png

XL is not on the sight as option. It is in one of the threads about the Hydra where Pushkar said Barn Boy talked him into adding it as a frame size.

@reed scott I was going to wait another day or two to let you soak in the sunshine of your new bike but this seems the appropriate time.

What is the measurement of your Hydra when adjusted how you like it:

1) - Top of pedal in down stroke to top of seat in up position?

2) - Center of handlebar stem back to center of seat post hole. (Probably measured on approximately level.)

Thanks so much if your willing to do this.

I highly suspect I want/need the XL frame.

@reed scott I was going to wait another day or two to let you soak in the sunshine of your new bike but this seems the appropriate time.

What is the measurement of your Hydra when adjusted how you like it:

1) - Top of pedal in down stroke to top of seat in up position?

2) - Center of handlebar stem back to center of seat post hole. (Probably measured on approximately level.)

Thanks so much if your willing to do this.

I highly suspect I want/need the XL frame.
36 1/2 inches and 25 inches

Last edited:
38 inches saddle top to pedal top and 22.5 inches handlebar center of stem to seat post hole center for my current bike, Sondors MXS, and it is fairly comfortable.

It looks goofy with a foot of seat post exposed.

Oh, and I was thinking toward the WW cranks shorter by (10 mm ?). My main interest was to reduce pedal strike possibilities a little more going downhill.

So that would have me raising the seat post 10 mm higher, 1/2 an inch (?).

Edit: No, closer to 3/8 of an inch.

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for the correction. Even less reduction of possible pedal strike than I thought. Probably way not worth the effort for my reasons then.

So....I'll stop hyjacking this thread then. :)

Hello all!
Now time for a little eye candy! After begging Pushkar, I got photos of my 29er rims (NXT29JF52-II 12K Weave Matt RED/ORN wrap-over). Hopefully I guilted him enough to send photos of my 26Fat to add. Now imagine these with Kindernay and on the frame shown at the very top of this thread. That will be mine….
-BB
1623470715285.png

33979BC8-C4B5-4CF6-A6BE-46C5B3ED13DD.jpeg18731891-67BF-4F00-9E42-2ADE4984B281.jpeg

View attachment 81152

Web Page Info- Use the Hydra or Hydra Frameset to configure and order your dream ebike. And be sure to read the OFFICIAL WW HYDRA FAQ page…
Screen_Shot_2020-11-23_at_8.28.54_PM_720x.png

Motor, Controller & Battery - The WW web page has the best information as to the Bafang Ultra motor, the Archon X1 power and battery options. The DERESTRICTED THROTTLE option allows you to program your throttle above 750W (1000W w/ Kindernay IGH option). This option will only allow you to break your drive train and is thus not advised. Just know that 750W is 1HP, 1500W is 2HP, and 2300W is 3.1HP. In the USA anything above 1HP or >28mph is considered a “Motor Bike” or “Moped”…

Colors- There are a plethora of colors to choose from with multiple accent options available for a reasonable price to give a one of a kind bike. Even a custom full on paint job can be done, just ask Pushkar. Currently the colors are a thin film ceramic coating from Cerakote. The “H-Series” is being used for durability. This stuff was designed to coat firearms and OMG is it tough. Get samples to verify you really like the color choice as the stuff is not really glossy like the photos nor typical wet auto paints. Standard black is actually Cerakote H-190 called Armor Black. Please see the Color Configurator thread for a full discussion on the colors…

Frame Dimensions- The picture below is what brought me to WW in the first place; the 21” Hydra Frame. The forum has many locations where others have asked for XL but were only offered a 19” Large. I’m so giddy I kept bugging @pushkar to go for the XL frame investment! I suspect there will be many more big guys like me that will be happy for this decision too. 15” Small, 17” Medium, 19” Large and “NEW” 21” X-Large frames are available.
Hydra.Dimensions_cb14d7fa-a977-4811-820b-ee54512ef574_540x.png

The Kindernay Option- (WARNING some of the below is still forum speculation and TBD!) -Though not standard (a 11-speed 11/42T cassette comes standard), the optional Kindernay IGH, when combined with the standard 14T cog/gear in the back, gives an impressive 9.5T thru 51.5T gear range. Combine that with a 42T chain ring in the front and WOW, serious high-speed and goat-gearing potential! The forum has several speed and gear calculators to play with and will make your mind go numb with the 14 evenly spaced transitions…

With a belt drive, the Kindernay can accept as small as a 22T cog, and the Hydra/Bafang Ultra potentially a 55T up front; slowing things down for better goat range. Now go have more fun with those speed/gear calculators and just drool! The WW belt system is still under double top-secret WW Labs development. Rest assured good progress is being made…

For the Kindernay cages, the 26fat and 29er will use the “Fatbike” flavor… (32 spoke)

Rear Travel- @pushkar mentioned that the rear travel on the Hydra is approximately 165-170mm. Here are the rear shock options:

Manitou Mara:
Suntour Tri Air 3CR:
Manitou Mara Pro:
Fox Float X2 w/ Kashima coat:

Front Forks – This depends upon what you have configured, but below is what is available and the web page specs for the same. Fork steerer tube (1.5 inch standard) will come uncut with several spacers to allow you to custom fit your ride for comfort.

Suntour Radion 32 Boost: Comes standard.
Manitou Mattoc: Available for 27.5x3 and 29x2.6 wheel builds. There are many version, @pushkar to confirm what one.
Manitou Mastodon: Available for 26x4.8 Fatbike wheel builds (29er too!). I assume this is the Pro Extended model with 120mm of travel based on FaceBook/Instagram photos and specs. @pushkar to confirm.
Manitou Mezzer Pro: Available for 27.5x3 and 29x2.6 wheel builds.
Fox 38 e-Optimized: Available for 27.5x3 and 29x2.6 wheel builds.

Carbon Wheel Build Options- @pushkar will not besmirch the Hydra and WW using low cost single wall rims; he is using Nextie double wall rims. He also allows for custom Nextie label color and weave options for your build. Anything you want, just give him the info and he will get it done (a very common statement from Pushkar by the way!). The Kindernay Fatbike cage uses a 32 spoke pattern, so for the 26fat you will get the Wild Dragon II and 29er is the Jungle Fox II. Pure sweetness…

@pushkar also uses spokes and nipples from Sapim in all of his wheel builds.

For those not going for the Kindernay, Rohloff, Sturmey-Archer, Nextie or other upgrades, then per @pushkar, here is the info for hubs, rims and the Shimano cassette used

Tires
– There are three different wheel build options and here is the rubber used on them all…

26fat uses Vee Tire Snow Shoe XL.
27.5 uses Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Vee Tire Crown Gem depending upon availability.
29er uses Vee Tire Crown Gem.

Headset – Per @pushkar this is a custom headset from FSA, using two different standard FSA headsets. He made the bottom wider to spread the load into a wider area for the carbon frame. It uses the 1.5 inch steerer tube standard. Good stuff!!

Stem and Bars
- The standard configuration uses the Protaper Aluminum Fat Bar. There is an optional Protaper Carbon Fat Bar for a little more as well as other options. It uses the 35mm bar standard (not 31.8!) as mentioned here. All of the forks use a 1.5 inch steerer tube….

CranksStandard offering is 170mm aluminum but you can upgrade to 165mm carbon. Both use the rather old ISIS standard used on the Bafang Ultra motor BB.

Pedals – Either the Crank Brothers Stamp 1 or Protaper ZuZu will be offered depending upon availability as standard. But the Crank Brothers Stamp 3 and Stamp 7 are available options.

Saddle- The Ergon SMC saddle comes standard but can be upgraded to the Ergon Core Prime. Another available option is the Brooks C17 Carved.

Dropper- The Manitou Jack dropper post comes standard in 125 or 150 travel options and is awesome for a standard bike configuration. But the Rock Shox C1 and AXS are also available if needed. The seat post standard is 31.6mm like the UC Pro.

Brakes- Magura MT5e come standard and Hayes Dominion A4 are available as a load stopping upgrade.

Grips- Protaper or Raceface grips come standard depending upon availability. Ergon GA2 or GP5 grips are available as upgrades. If you are thinking bar ends, you might want to consider these upgrades instead…

Tax & Shipping- Unfortunately you can't avoid the taxman and @pushkar will have to collect local state taxes. Not sure of VAT or other taxes outside the USA. For shipping there is a $300 flat-rate shipping anywhere within USA.

Ballpark Weight – There are many posts in the forum regarding weight. Do a search on WEIGHT and you will see the min weight is 50lbs and max mentioned is 73 pounds with 58 pounds being mentioned most often. This all depends upon your particular bike and how you build it. Hopefully people with actual bikes will reply in this thread with their weights for their particular bike and I will update this. But really folks, with 2.3kW of motor power, do you want to be a weight weenie???

Bike Classification Sticker- OK folks, this is a bit sticky. States like California demand that an ebike manufacturer or distributer places a classification sticker in a prominent/permanent area on the ebike. And if the bike is modified, user or upgrader is required to relabel to the proper classification. The law is very clear that in the USA Class 1 is <750W <20MPH and no throttle. Class 2 adds a throttle and <20MPH. Class 3 extends the max speed to <28mph, <750W and possibly blocks you from trails depending upon your state plus the helmet you can use (DOT). There is no Class 4! Fortunately Wattwagons is in Boston Massachusetts, and Massachusetts doesn’t have a rating system; yet. So no classification sticker will be applied… (Thank goodness!)

The forum has several excellent discussions on this and Bolton Bikes has stickers. I’m seriously considering adding their Class 4 sticker as a joke…... but then again I live in California, so maybe not!

giphy.gif
That’s a Hydra!!!

If you like this post (or any of the "Unofficial" FAQ posts) please press the "LIKE" button! Thank you!!!
-BB

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: BarnBoy is not affiliated with Watt Wagons LLC in any way, shape or form. The data contained in this “Unofficial” FAQ does not constitute any legal or binding agreement between you the consumer/customer and Watt Wagons LLC. That will be your purchase order as a legal and binding contract with Watt Wagons LLC. The data contained is for information purposes only…
Edit History
3/7/2021 - Initial post. Added Taxes and Shipping. Thank you @biruja!
3/9/2021 - Edited URLS to be hidden in text as per this reference, added additional references and pictures.. Removed -BB story...
3/15/2021 - Added Hydra Spec Sheet from WW web page...
3/18/2021 - Disclaimer (thanks @Deacon Blues!) and Weight (thanks @skelm-!)
3/21/2021 - Update WW web page references due to changes in the WW web pages....
3/29/2021 - Added standard rim, hub and cassette info... (Thanks @reed scott )

News flash - The XL frame demensions are listed. :)

Up at 5 and traveling so I better hit the sac but I'll look at it all carefully tomorrow.

have you looked at the Hydra black. I think the components are better and the price is cheaper. I think your battery will be 10% smaller and you can only go up to 2000w instead of 2300W but that’s not a big difference. If you’re just looking for the plain Jane I really think the Hydra Black. It is the best deal for the money.

500miles to next maintenance?
11s chains are not super strong so they can be replaced every 400 miles. The cassettes should probably be replaced at 1000 miles. This is all variable considering what type of riding you are doing and if you just want to ride them until failure you’ll probably get substantially longer. I have 700 miles on a 10 speed chain on my Frey.

Back