The Stormtrooper: My White Surface Rook

Amanda

So I decided to transfer my chatter about my future bike to this new thread, as continuing in my search thread would be a bit misleading.

I'm going to try to blog and vlog as my bike gets delivered and assembled and as I break it in.

Right now I'm looking into the accessories for security. I talked to a tech at Surface today to find out Kore about the wheels. I'm going to trade he quick release skewers for either Kryptonite Gravity skewers or Pinheads.

Chime in if you've used either!

I'm hoping unique bolts from ether company will keep components like my saddle and wheels safer.

I'm toying with the idea of using a luggage tracking service like lugloc hidden beneath the seat to potentially track the bike in the event of theft. But I'll probably order a Linka lock instead. I've already got an abus ready for installing.

Anyways, a coworker of mine was the one who started calling the bike by name, the storm trooper. She had no clue how big of a star wars fan I am! THE name has stuck!

Now to find a storm trooper helmet to match lol!

https://goo.gl/photos/qonYFGUqkSXWVCAt6
My bike has arrived! Tried feeling around for where the keys are located.

Feeling a bit under the weather so I'll be making a run over to Canadian Tire for an appropriate grease before returning home for my very first build.

My local bike shop has a Groupon for a tuneup with wheel truing, and they are only a ten minute bike ride away. I may assemble, then call and ask if they have the time to tune her up for me. If they aren't busy my favourite pho place is next door, and I can hang out and fill my stomach.

Knowing my luck, they will probably be servicing a fleet LOL. but I'll hold onto hope!

Tomorrow - :D

Really nice looking bike, Amanda. I really like the matching, integrated rear rack.

Thanks for sharing your entire ebike search and purchase with us. Looks like you picked a winner. Have fun!

She's a comfy one. I wasn't sure about size, since I'm right on the lower end of a larger frames height range. but she's solid - and doesn't feel heavy at all considering she's got a few pounds on the old men's Raleigh I've been riding this summer.

Must be because the weight is low.

I was awfully happy to test ride once I bought the Allen key set (.....a full set because the trio was out of stock and I was NOT gonna go home without it!)

She is super zippy. will have to set her Max speed tomorrow morning, I think it lists a much higher number of 56km/Hr at the moment (No thank you sir, even if that is glitches lol! I need my helmet only head!)

I'll update as I get her broken in and her first tuneup done. I'm happy so far with my purchase.

The tuneup is done but I'm facing a setback.

The broker at the home insurance agency is a birdbrain (seriously, I won't get into the history about her mishandling things) and has gotten into a snit. She's mad for some reason that I've registered and paid money towards the Kryptonite Anti Theft Protection Offer.

Some back and forth occurred, and ultimately the addition of my bike to the home insurance as a scheduled item will be complete next year.

Three weeks from now.

I am not happy. I'm really not.

@Amanda, insurance people don't always get ebikes or the lock insurance; that's unfortunate and confusing. Guess they think the Kryptonite protection offer would duplicate the homeowner's coverage but I really doubt it. You have to have pieces of the lock left and other evidence to get any $$ from the Kryptonite people and that policy is only good for a few years unlike your ongoing home policy. It's a smart idea to do both.

Like your determined attitude, keep those updates coming :)!

I have used the pinhead locks on the seats of both my bikes and am satisfied they are tamper proof. I removed the front axle pin head lock from my e bike because I did not not take the time to space it properly and the front disc was rubbing so the original front axle was re installed. A word of advice, use 2 locks on your bike and make sure its secure. I took my non ebike to work one day and a thief used the quick release front axle and took the bike leaving me just the front wheel locked to a cast iron bench. This on the Main street in front of the Via Rail station in Winnipeg. If I had installed the front axle pin head on my 2nd bike that day I am positive I would still have it.

@Amanda, insurance people don't always get ebikes or the lock insurance; that's unfortunate and confusing. Guess they think the Kryptonite protection offer would duplicate the homeowner's coverage but I really doubt it. You have to have pieces of the lock left and other evidence to get any $$ from the Kryptonite people and that policy is only good for a few years unlike your ongoing home policy. It's a smart idea to do both.

Like your determined attitude, keep those updates coming :)!

If the agent had read the attached details she'd know that, but I doubt she did. So I lose the warmest month I have of winter commuting because a professional broker won't stay professional.

It just rots me to know someone like her handles the lost important kind of insurance for home owners. Freaking terrifying. My mom shopped around for insurance as cheap when we moved because of problems with this lady and paperwork for the new house. She had no luck. But I told her saving money with a vindictive and confused person like this to treat us poorly and take weeks to complete paperwork is silly.

I'll keep updating as this plays out.

@Kelly @ CitrusCycles.ca Do you know if Surface has touch up paint available? Just remembered I have a bit more than a nick on my fork, and wasn't sure what I could cover my exposed metal with. I even thought buying enamel paint (normally for bathroom fixtures) from work could be a temporary fix.

Styrofoam packaging must've slipped during shipment. It's not a huge cosmetic concern just worried about rust :)

My Arkel hardware to convert my laptop bag to a pannier arrived and it's gonna work really nicely as an indoor battery bag in my locker :D

So while temperatures were around -10c I made my first trip in and home from work yesterday. I misjudged my speed on one of the first turns and enjoyed a soft snowy landing. Other than that everything worked great! The short ten minute ride didn't impact the charge icons or the battery ticks on the screen. I locked her up indoors at work, and roved the battery.

Here's my question @Surface604 #surface604 : I had to stay on pas three because it seems my Max speed it set at 56km, and the higher pas levels looked ready to confirm it. The manual doesn't really give me a clear tutorial on setting that speed.

Has anyone seen an explanation online on how to do it? And shouldn't my bike have come with this preset at 32km/Hr?

Back