The new turbo Vado 2017

Specialized has a tradition of having brightly coloured demo bikes, so that is likely what Court's bright yellow is about. I rather like it.

I think they have done a nice job on the Vado, or 'open' as I read it. Hands-on, I feel that every element of the bike is slightly better than before, and it definitely has a better ride feel. Whether is is better than an equivalent Bosch-powered bike or not? Don't know, comes down to what you can get from a trusted dealer, brand loyalty, how it feels to you, and small factors. It's a bit like other bikes, there really isn't a lot to separate brands at a given price point.

I am just waiting to get the 3.0 bike back from Spesh and return from a business trip so that I can complete my review and photography. Should be done in a week. electricbikesnz.com

I'm waiting for the new mission control app for the new Turbo bikes, i can't pair my bike with the old one. . My dealer told me that the app will be out this week. Have You heard anything about this
Bengt, where are you located? Stockholm? Would be great to see your Vado IRL and hear about your experiences.

I believe I read somewhere or maybe it was mentioned in a video that the Brose motor forms part of the Vado frame
This would suggest that the motor is actually welded in situ to the seatpost, chain stays and down tube as opposed to a conventional bolt connection
Does anyone know if the case

Last edited:
I've not read of many EBR members who have bought the new Vado
Are they not selling that well or it too early in the game
What the general feeling of this model compared to the previous
Would you buy one

As for sales, my local Specialized dealers haven't had any ever, so either they are selling like hotcakes, or they aren't making any.

Would you buy one
The Vado series was just launched on May 18 in the US and were not orderable prior to that. They have been available in Europe before this.

That none of us have these is not surprising.

Would you buy one

They are not available and was told on the boat in route to the states. The 5.0 model is supposed to arrive the first few weeks in June and the 6.0 model has a July delivery date. I really want mine now and have it on order, but I am waiting for the 6.0 to arrive

I believe I read somewhere or maybe it was mentioned in a video that the Brose motor forms part of the Vado frame
This would suggest that the motor is actually welded in situ to the seatpost, chain stays and down tube as opposed to a conventional bolt connection
Does anyone know if the case
I don't know about the Vado motor arrangement, but using the motor as a "stressed member" of the frame is very common in motorcycles. Basically they use the strength of the motor frame to form an integral part of the frame geometry, thus saving weight, since you can use less frame material. This can be accomplished with the motor bolted into the frame, it doesn't have to be welded permanently. I would suspect this is the arrangement on the new Vado.

I don't know about the Vado motor arrangement, but using the motor as a "stressed member" of the frame is very common in motorcycles. Basically they use the strength of the motor frame to form an integral part of the frame geometry, thus saving weight, since you can use less frame material. This can be accomplished with the motor bolted into the frame, it doesn't have to be welded permanently. I would suspect this is the arrangement on the new Vado.
Thanks Douglas Ruby and Charlie Rohlfing for your comments.
This extract;

Brave design decisions
When it came to the design of the Turbo Vado Specialized didn’t want to be restricted by the constraints that surround the bolt-on motor solutions used by most manufacturers. Instead, Specialized took the unusual step of developing its own e-bike battery and worked closely with motor manufacturer Brose to produce a custom motor. The result is a totally integrated frame, motor, and battery that you won’t be able to buy from anyone else.

from the review at this link;

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/ge.../product/specialized-turbo-vado-review-51250/

cast some doubt in my mind as to how the motor coupled to the frame

<<The result is a totally integrated frame, motor, and battery that you won’t be able to buy from anyone else.>>

Given some of the confusion and concern about the original Turbo batteries of late around here, that's almost an enticement to go with a Bosch system.

Given some of the confusion and concern about the original Turbo batteries of late around here, that's almost an enticement to go with a Bosch system.
Would have to agree
Full battery integration on the Vado makes the bike more aesthetically pleasing, but it could also be the "Achilles Heel" in the decision making for a lot of potential buyers for the reasons owners of the superseded Turbo model have voiced in this forum
I think the semi integration of the battery on the Trek Super Commuter has merit and adds value to the overall aesthetics of the bike

Last edited:
Back