The new turbo Vado 2017

Ya know, I have enjoyed my Turbo and do not regret purchasing it. While it is true that I wrote a detailed letter to Specialized outlining a support program Id like to see, I, like many, am not too concerned. Yes, I would like to see a product life cycle management approach that emphasized customer satisfaction a bit more, but I am willing to take 2021 at face value.

I already know that certain aspects of the Turbo design make supporting and evolving it difficult. The battery architecture is part of that. As long as I have some reasonable expectation of support, I expect to continue to enjoy my bike.

It is quite clear that the investment and development of ebikes is going into mid drive and digital integration. Assuming that the Vado performs well and is not afflicted with firmware or mechanical bugs, I will certainly consider one as a replacement sometime in the next 2-3 years. I like many aspects of the design particularly the ability to leverage the advances in standard wheel and mechanical developments. I also like the aesthetic of the frame and think it does a decent job of leveraging the look of the turbo while hiding and protecting the mid drive.

If my Turbo dies an untimely death and Specialized is unwilling to provide replacement batteries, motors, or handlebar controllers then I will not replace it with a Specialized bike.

Lets move on.

Last edited:
As usual Mr. Ruby, you present a reasonable, rational and cool headed view. Do you ever get out west to the Ashuwillticook trail? It might be nice to have a frosty beverage at CJ's some fine Spring afternoon following a round trip on that nice piece of pavement.

As usual Mr. Ruby, you present a reasonable, rational and cool headed view. Do you ever get out west to the Ashuwillticook trail? It might be nice to have a frosty beverage at CJ's some fine Spring afternoon following a round trip on that nice piece of pavement.
Love to share a frosty. I get out to central Ca. every once in awhile. Where r u?

Waterford, NY, between Albany and Saratoga Springs. Tons of great bike paths around here with the Mohawk River/Erie Canal stuff, but I do enjoy that trail in Adams, Mass... a fairly quick hop across the state line.

The reality of current ebikes is that you buy them expecting a 3-5 year service life - maybe less if you thrash the heck out of them. If you don't like the idea of that then buy a cheap Chinese import for a few bucks and hope that it lasts 2 years.

My thoughts so far about the bike, the display is of the simpler model, a bike that is so expensive should have a better display. The cycling gets a little rough about 25 km / h. The bike is very nice to drive, please let me know if you have any questions

@jwb, you must work at a pretty cool place that they have so many electric bikes; Turbos no less! Lucky you :)

It is a good perk, but unfortunately it is a consequence of our ludicrously sprawled-out Silicon Valley corporate campus that necessitates 10-mile bike rides to attend meetings.

Those interested in the inner workings of the new Vados will find a well executed exploded diagram of the bike at this page on the Specialized New Zealand website. Scroll down a bit to find it. Likely found elsewhere as well, but new to me.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks for posting that Scott. So I am excited for this new model. I owned a Turbo S a few years ago but sold it when I needed the cash. I regretted it and found myself wanting to mostly commute by bicycle again, I picked up the S at what I thought was a good deal. Well the bike had quite a few issues and the shop took it back. Specialized is all out of the Turbo in my size and its gone. I really preferred the look of the S turbo the best and not a huge fan of the Vado look, but I could not find a rack for the turbo as it is also discontinued. So the ability of parts for the new bike, the new display, the new rack, the easy maintenance of the mid drive, I have high hopes, looking forward to Curt's review this month.

Thanks for posting that Scott. So I am excited for this new model. I owned a Turbo S a few years ago but sold it when I needed the cash. I regretted it and found myself wanting to mostly commute by bicycle again, I picked up the S at what I thought was a good deal. Well the bike had quite a few issues and the shop took it back. Specialized is all out of the Turbo in my size and its gone. I really preferred the look of the S turbo the best and not a huge fan of the Vado look, but I could not find a rack for the turbo as it is also discontinued. So the ability of parts for the new bike, the new display, the new rack, the easy maintenance of the mid drive, I have high hopes, looking forward to Curt's review this month.

Couldn't find a specialized rack so I went with a bontrager Disc brake model. Worked out ok. Kinda odd having trek parts on a specialized though

Ha. Of course in California it would be unlawful to ride a type 3 e-bike on a class 1 bike path, like the one on the Golden Gate Bridge shown in the video.

Ha. Of course in California it would be unlawful to ride a type 3 e-bike on a class 1 bike path, like the one on the Golden Gate Bridge shown in the video.

What about type 2 e-bike? My bike is an Turbo Vado 4.0 (sweden) class 2 in usa if i'm correct.

What about type 2 e-bike? My bike is an Turbo Vado 4.0 (sweden) class 2 in usa if i'm correct.
The Vado 3.0 and 4.0 are both Class 1 (20 mph non throttle) in the USA. The Vado 5.0 is Class 3 as are all of the earlier Turbo models.

Reactions: jwb
That's true, it would be OK with one of the lesser Vado models. But anybody can ride an ordinary bike at those speeds :)

That's true, it would be OK with one of the lesser Vado models. But anybody can ride an ordinary bike at those speeds :)

I do not think anyone buys an electric bike for the speed of the race. It's about comfort, and to enjoy cycling. I used to have around 35 minutes to work and now with e-bike about 28-30 minutes. There are high slopes in both directions so my knees and back etc feel much better.

So they just released even more Vados in the US and now show a Vado 6.0. I have enough money on the shops books cause they took back my Turbo S. It looks like the Vado 6.0 added a better shifter and a front shock. I know the shock will add more weight but would that be an improvement, should I cancel my 5.0 order and grab the new one win a front shock. I know all the video reviews on here, he always loves that front shock.

Back