The new AM1000 V6

brake034

Region
Asia
Frey celebrates their 5th anniversary by releasing the upgraded AM1000 V6 with the following exciting improvements:

1. Built-in battery 1008WH;
2. 29/27.5" wheelset
3. 3 New color releases plus black.

The video is here;

Attachments

• mmexport1639645323312.jpg
    mmexport1639645323312.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 359
  • mmexport1639645325433.jpg
    mmexport1639645325433.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 361
  • mmexport1639645319159.jpg
    mmexport1639645319159.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 359
More info and prices on the Frey website;
It says for the first time Frey is offering a frame kit!

They also have some decent deals on someone wanting to pick up a v5 - including shipping to US or Europe.
I picked up a Luna X2, but that's not a bad deal at all for an AM1000v5!

New year's promotion for new bike release:​

Right now, We are offering extensive promotions for the 5th-anniversary celebration thanking Frey’s users and supporters. The promotion runs from December 16, 2021, to January 15, 2022.

Offer 1: Purchase the AM1000 V5 in Black for 4380 USD with the delivery cost included (some conditions applied). Remote areas or non-mainland areas confirm whether they can be delivered to the door when making the purchase. The delivery date is expected to be about 1 month after the order is placed.V5 group buying link: https://shop.frey.bike/products/am1000-v5-group-buying

Offer 2: Return customer Discount. The brand new AM1000 V6 is priced at 5180USD. We are offering returning customers a discounted price of 4980USD. You can also get a referral from a friend who is a Frey owner and enjoy the sweet discounted price of 4980USD. The delivery date is expected to be April 2022.V6 ordering link: https://shop.frey.bike/products/am1000-v6

Note: Free delivery to the United States and European Union countries for offers 1 & 2. We ship to other countries and regions, but shipping fees may apply depending on the carrier.

Offer 3: The AM1000 V6 frame kit is priced at 2980USD. Loyal customers who have purchased the V3 or earlier version can enjoy a special offer price of 2022USD. Other returning customers and friend's referrals will also receive a deal of ordering the frame at 2880USD. The package price does not include the shipping cost. Please contact our customer services to receive more information on delivery channel and shipping cost. V6 frame kits ordering link: https://shop.frey.bike/products/am1000-v6-frame-kits

If I had come to the conclusion that I would like an Ultra motored bike a few years sooner instead of being focused on the M600 motor as it turns out I could have had a Frey one and been perfectly happy I suppose?

Actually I don't mind the reention style visible battery especially due to the fact that it is relatively simple to swap out different wh rating batteries which I always thought to be a useful concept. Especially now as I see there is a 2170 cell battery that will work on there.....

Oh well at least I ended up getting there eventually! Albeit with a carbon framed similar spec to the V6 bike for the same money as the V5. But I wouldn't have minded an alu frame though.

While the V6 is a good looking bike and I too like the burgundy, the fact that it is over $5k would have put it out of my "I would never pay that much for a bicycle" price range. Barely stomached the over $4k price as it was.

And about the marketing video above. Why do companies always think that showing eBikes roosting berms with dirt flying everywhere is a good idea? To me it is not a good look.

Actually I don't mind the reention style visible battery especially due to the fact that it is relatively simple to swap out different wh rating batteries which I always thought to be a useful concept. Especially now as I see there is a 2170 cell battery that will work on there.....
I do agree that a top-loading battery is preferable, especially with regard to compatibility. (I also find the idea of a hanging battery... unsettling.)

I mostly wish for an AM1000 v5 or CC type frame, with front rack mounting points on the steerer tube, & rear rack mounting points on the back of the seat tube.

Aside from possibly shaving some weight (it's got a big motor & battery to support), & aforementioned note that rack mounts are best added by the OEM, I have no other critiques of the CC or AM1000 v5 frames, so far.

The vertical buttress on the rear triangle, eliminates the wiggle I've felt on some lighter built full-suspension rear ends...

TLDR: is there a third party supplier for AM1000 v6 batteries?

I am looking to purchase a full-suspension m620e-bike with non-fat tires... I have narrowed it down to the AM1000 v6 and the Luna Z1 and I am looking for any thoughts on selection. The two bike are very similar the main difference for me comes down to the batteries - the Frey has a whooping 48v21a battery and the Z1 a 48v17.5a however it is a standard dengfu e10 battery, which I can get on aliexpress. I like the flexibility of being able to get the battery for others, especially with the supply chain issues going on now.

Thoughts?

Keep a watchful eye on GBK (Green Bike Kits) @SereneMal. They will soon be selling the batteries for the newer standard of frames.
As soon as they become plentiful in availability (and update their website), I'll do my utmost to spread the word 👍🏿

In addition (although I will be looking into this in more detail), I am starting to suspect that these newer batteries may not be as good compared to older styles of batteries like the Shark/Dolphin pack or the Reention Dorado.

You'll hear from me once I'm ready to publish my findings but so far,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, only the physical reduced weight difference is a plus for these newer batteries.

TLDR: is there a third party supplier for AM1000 v6 batteries?

I am looking to purchase a full-suspension m620e-bike with non-fat tires... I have narrowed it down to the AM1000 v6 and the Luna Z1 and I am looking for any thoughts on selection. The two bike are very similar the main difference for me comes down to the batteries - the Frey has a whooping 48v21a battery and the Z1 a 48v17.5a however it is a standard dengfu e10 battery, which I can get on aliexpress. I like the flexibility of being able to get the battery for others, especially with the supply chain issues going on now.

Thoughts?
There's also a likely ~15+ lb weight difference. The AM1000 is kind of a tank, for both good and bad. The Z1 is carbon fiber frame.
Depends on your purpose, really - the Z1 is more of an off-road 'mountain bike' IMO while the AM1000 is kind of a 'do it all' to some extent at the penalty of weight.
I expect the AM1000 to probably (worth confirming) ship with CANBUS motors, which means - no programming/configuration by the end user, while the Z1s ship with UART motors so can configure like the BBSHD + via the additional torque page in the software. That one alone would have me choosing the UART Ultra motor...

As far as a Z1 battery goes there could be one that is optimized for use in both it and the X2 in a few weeks available manufacturer direct. Better cells and higher Amp BMS than stock are the main attraction. DengFu gets its batteries from a supplier and doesn't make them and the generic AliExpress ones are not optimised.

I have a Z1 and am not a huge fan of the stock battery but not going to just get another one like it if I can help it. It is important that it is plug and play though.

There's also a likely ~15+ lb weight difference. The AM1000 is kind of a tank, for both good and bad. The Z1 is carbon fiber frame.
Depends on your purpose, really - the Z1 is more of an off-road 'mountain bike' IMO while the AM1000 is kind of a 'do it all' to some extent at the penalty of weight.
💯

I expect the AM1000 to probably (worth confirming) ship with CANBUS motors, which means - no programming/configuration by the end user, while the Z1s ship with UART motors so can configure like the BBSHD + via the additional torque page in the software. That one alone would have me choosing the UART Ultra motor...
Frey has been shipping both UART & CANBus Ultras for a hot minute now (as well as a limited number with 'custom' 60V controller), so I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually follow a strategy similar to Luna's, of fitting aftermarket UART controllers to Bafang's g510 motor cores... 🤞

This is all great info, thanks. The CANBUS vs UART motor is an important distinction - i definitely want to be able to program it. I am definitely leaning towards the Z1.

As far as a Z1 battery goes there could be one that is optimized for use in both it and the X2 in a few weeks available manufacturer direct. Better cells and higher Amp BMS than stock are the main attraction. DengFu gets its batteries from a supplier and doesn't make them and the generic AliExpress ones are not optimised.

I have a Z1 and am not a huge fan of the stock battery but not going to just get another one like it if I can help it. It is important that it is plug and play though.
Where would I find info on the direct battery manufacturer? How would I order from them? Any more info would be appreciated. Thx.

Where would I find info on the direct battery manufacturer? How would I order from them? Any more info would be appreciated. Thx.
There are sooo many vendors, it's good to investigate thoroughly before buying something so critical (& costly!)...

The battery we got from Frey was priced well enough that we bought two, essentially on faith & a handful of positive reports. I haven't opened the case to confirm what's inside, because they both perform consistently so far.

EM3ev has a good reputation among the builders I've heard from on the subject, & there's a whole thread started by Shanghai Aijiu Energy Tech, on the Reention cases they use, here.

Last edited:
I am reluctant to share at this time the manufacturer I am in contact with until I get it figured out if they can provide a battery that will outperform the stock 48v 840wh in the Z1/X2 frames. Also taking into account a higher Amp BMS for those with upgraded controllers that allow for higher potential watt output. Progress was halted by the Lunar New Year but hope to be back in touch on the 8th. Best guess is that a sample battery is at least a month out.

I have no plans on trying to do anything other than get myself the best possible battery for my bike as I am not all that happy with the stock one and hope there is a better solution. When, and if, I do achieve my goal I will gladly share my results with all here. I have some past experience with dealing with Asian battery manufacturers and communication can be iffy at best with them understanding me and vice versa.

EM3EV and ReEntion will be of no assistance unless you plan on some way to fit their batteries into the frame as they won't be plug and play. Luckily there are stock cases available from other manufacturers and some will even sell the empty case. I personally don't want to be a battery tech/distributor but do have a good idea of what might make a better pack that can be sourced, made and shipped direct.

Back