The Empire Strikes Back: Big Bike Brand Offers $2k 28 mph E-Bike w/Torque Sensor (Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad S)

That said I'm very curious of those Bosch bikes that have been in the market since 2016/2017 that are looking for their 2nd home, I think the pre-owned Bosch/Brose/Shimano market is a better move for someone in the hub powered price bracket.
Canyon is selling class 3 Bosch for $3k. Unless a used old Bosch is ~$1500 or less, it's not worth it. And those are hard to come by.

I think that people will get it both ways. They have the right to repair and will have a warranty and dealer support. I take back what I said about Pon pushing these bikes thru Mike's Bikes, who they own. Mike's does not want to be in the Bafang hub service sphere. They want Mike's to be a bit higher end as they seek to transform Mike's into the Starbucks of Bike Shops. One on every several blocks, nationwide while selling direct to consumers from the internet, undercutting the locals.

I get liking products regardless of the right to repair. I'm all in with Apple products. But I can't repair a.macbook or iPhone. But handing over my Bosch motor and having no access to parts and repairs means they bring nothing to my plate. Bafang has been a struggle fro time to time, but the market is so strong that even a helpless dullard can find a fix.

It is true. Search Bafang Motor Core and you will get 652,000 hits. That's like the population of Boston. You are not going to be stuck with dealing with one dealer. I did a motor core replacement yesterday.

The lesser powered one is something like $1650. That kicks butt. A good brand, giving what people want and with local support. I will next do a gravel bike with a torque sensor, cadence sensor, and throttle with high power. Through frame. Middrive. lightweight. Clean. No one else has that offering. It cannot be shopped.

I've checked the availability of the new Cannondale Adventure Neo. It looks it is yet another attempt of a big brand to sell something in the undemanding U.S. market, where "cheap" and "throttle" are the features sought for. The Class 2 version is already available at REI. Yet another online e-bike, a regular bike with the battery, motor and controller slapped onto the bicycle. Well, money does not stink. (The other e-bike I'm talking of is Specialized/Globe Haul cargo e-bike, again, only available in the U.S.)

1683772295691.png

The U.S. Adventure Neo Allroad.

1683771817024.png

Meanwhile, it is what Cannondale calls Adventure Neo in Europe. Bosch motor, nicely integrated battery and all.

Most of the population doesn't want to think about down shifting before a stop. The hub-drive has a place. It is mind numb to ride a hub/throttle bike and many people like that.
I ride a hub motor bike and it's a very active experience. In addition to pedaling and braking, I'm frequently adjusting throttle, gear and assist levels. It's not for everyone, but it's about as manual as you can get.

I've never ridden a Bosch but the main downside of my bike, a juiced ccs, is the ride is very stiff in the back even with a wider plush tire. The motor is too bulky and powerful for my needs I realize but there's not a ton of choice out there for a low cost athletic torque sensor class 3 commuter.

I ride a hub motor bike and it's a very active experience. In addition to pedaling and braking, I'm frequently adjusting throttle, gear and assist levels. It's not for everyone, but it's about as manual as you can get.

I've never ridden a Bosch but the main downside of my bike, a juiced ccs, is the ride is very stiff in the back even with a wider plush tire. The motor is too bulky and powerful for my needs I realize but there's not a ton of choice out there for a low cost athletic torque sensor class 3 commuter.
A really sweet suspension seat post may help, that is if you don't already have one! CCS is a nice bike from what i hear.

A really sweet suspension seat post may help, that is if you don't already have one! CCS is a nice bike from what i hear.
Thank you, yeah I'm planning to get one but I also realized a lot of that harshness is coming through when I'm partly or fully standing on the pedal, at which point the post won't help. But maybe sitting on the post will be a lot better than standing now.

Thank you, yeah I'm planning to get one but I also realized a lot of that harshness is coming through when I'm partly or fully standing on the pedal, at which point the post won't help. But maybe sitting on the post will be a lot better than standing now.
Sounds to me like you would enjoy a full suspension bike were you can benefit in both the sitting and standing position!

Sounds to me like you would enjoy a full suspension bike were you can benefit in both the sitting and standing position!
The funny thing is I had no issues with a carbon fiber road bike on 32mm tires. It must be the bike/hub motor weight and the crude aluminum frame. The Canyon Precede ON CF and the Grail look very tempting...

Threads like this have helped me. It is not about what I like. It is all about what people want. I went ahead and purchased a throttle mid-motor last night for a all thru-frame gravel/adventure build next week that will have a torque sensor and will weigh 42 pounds with a compact 48V battery that looks like a water bottle. People like to have a throttle even if I personally don't. It will have twice the power of high-end bikes from bike shops and will look and feel better.

Have these actually hit the dealers yet? Im curious as to what that torque sensor is going to feel like, i would love a test ride!
It's NOT a torque sensor bike. I pre-ordered the 'S' because it didn't have a throttle and I like to pedal. I've got about 60 miles on mine, it's powerful and has good range, but it does not have a torque sensor.

It's NOT a torque sensor bike. I pre-ordered the 'S' because it didn't have a throttle and I like to pedal. I've got about 60 miles on mine, it's powerful and has good range, but it does not have a torque sensor.
oh ok well that is a bummer, not saying a cadence sensor is bad i was just more excited about it being a torque sensor.

I get liking products regardless of the right to repair. I'm all in with Apple products. But I can't repair a.macbook or iPhone. But handing over my Bosch motor and having no access to parts and repairs means they bring nothing to my plate. Bafang has been a struggle fro time to time, but the market is so strong that even a helpless dullard can find a fix.
I spent an hour at the LBS a Trek dealer. Brad tells me Bosch has never asked for the return of a motor, or battery replaced under warranty. AND he finds Bosch to be incredibly cooperative and in full support of easy warranty replacements and repairs. Looks like the Ms will be a Boschevic.

I'm skeptical. It says right on their page it has a torque sensor.

Back