The Empire Strikes Back: Big Bike Brand Offers $2k 28 mph E-Bike w/Torque Sensor (Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad S)

Asher

This is very encouraging. Brands like Juiced, Aventon, Ride1Up arguably exist because the big, bike shop brands neglected this segment of the market for so long. The neglect also created a near monopoly for Bosch at the higher end of the market.

Without the Bosch tax, big brands can be quite competitive on price, especially when you consider the value of local bike shop service, higher quality frames and variable sizing (often lacking at D2C brands).

One of the comments on that BikeRumor article pointed to the too-short front fender on the Cannondale Allroad, they do make some curious component choices, when Court mentioned in his review of the Treadwell they had selected a fabric saddle cover I thought that wouldn't be nice to ride in the rain.

I agree it's good to see models with hubs motors & many sizes with lighter weight for lower-priced store-supported e-bikes eg the 2023 Aventon Soltera, Pedego Avenue, Kona HD, & Electra Townie 7D and Loft models.

Last edited:
One of the comments on that BikeRumor article pointed to the too-short front fender on the Cannondale Allroad, they do make some curious component choices, when Court mentioned in his review of the Treadwell they had selected a fabric saddle cover I thought that wouldn't be nice to ride in the rain.
Now that I think about it, it is odd that their first hub motor class 3 is an MTBish bike, vs say a dedicated urban bike. Prob their urban bikes aren't being refreshed yet.

Im impressed, cant wait to see a full review from Court!

Now that I think about it, it is odd that their first hub motor class 3 is an MTBish bike, vs say a dedicated urban bike. Prob their urban bikes aren't being refreshed yet.
It's not their first hub motor, they used ebikemotion stuff on models in the past.

As a Cannondale dealer, kinda bummed about the Bafang situation. Curious to see the battery safety rating and what they plan on doing from a service and warranty standpoint.

Have these actually hit the dealers yet? Im curious as to what that torque sensor is going to feel like, i would love a test ride!

Interesting. Cannondale is a big player and it's nice to see them enter the price game. I'm waiting to see a Specialized Globe in person as well. Being older and lazier I don't mind having a local shop service my next ebike. I also have a Aventon dealer nearby. Depending on what wheel size I settle on I have supported options for a commuter.

It is not for me but has wide appeal for brining non-bike folks into the fold at an entry point they can justify. Most of the population doesn't want to think about down shifting before a stop. The hub-drive has a place. It is mind numb to ride a hub/throttle bike and many people like that.

Ah, interpreted your comment a bit differently.

And a throttle to boot! Interesting race to the bottom from a formerly reputable company.
Genuinely curious as to what leads you to believe Cannondale is a formerly reputable company? This bike?

Genuinely curious as to what leads you to believe Cannondale is a formerly reputable company? This bike?
Cannondale is just giving the market what they are demanding. I got into trouble on another thread by using a musical analogy, so here I will use a food analogy. Let' say you are a pizza snob and own a pizza place. If people demand pineapple and Spam. Are you going to tell them to take a hike. Or are you going to be quiet and sell these customers what they want even if you know it is crappy?

Eh, an obvious race to the bottom isn't great. That and their fulfillment of orders for dealers has dramatically fallen off. I suspect with the aquisition by PON they're going to focus on larger accounts (REI) and D2C sales, not to dissimilar to Specialized. Having said that, these "starter" e-bikes are a great stepping stone to the 2nd bike purchase, hopefully Bosch/Brose/Shimano powered. That said I'm very curious of those Bosch bikes that have been in the market since 2016/2017 that are looking for their 2nd home, I think the pre-owned Bosch/Brose/Shimano market is a better move for someone in the hub powered price bracket.

The Cannondale in the 90's and early 2000's was a very different company than we have today. Kinda like Diamondback, they're just a name that's bounced around several larger corporate holding groups. Most of the product is fine, not trying to say all bikes aren't great, but the hub stuff (again, I'm not sure what they have planned for battery safety and service outreach) is a double edge sword IMO. That's from a business perspective. There's lots of folks out there loving their hub stuff and I'm not trying to throw any shade their way, from a business perspective, throwing service to the IBD isn't a sustainable business solution for lots of places. Some make it, lots don't.

Again, one person's perspective.

PON will sell them using a direct to consumer model through Mike's Bikes.

This is very encouraging. Brands like Juiced, Aventon, Ride1Up arguably exist because the big, bike shop brands neglected this segment of the market for so long. The neglect also created a near monopoly for Bosch at the higher end of the market.

Without the Bosch tax, big brands can be quite competitive on price, especially when you consider the value of local bike shop service, higher quality frames and variable sizing (often lacking at D2C brands).

That is a pretty good offering, 720wh battery, rack,, fenders and Cannondale is a good brand.

This can be a great commuter plus it is available at REI which is very convenient.

Back