The Climate and Tax Bill: Dropped from the deal is a tax credit worth up to $900 to help cyclists purchase electric bikes.

Most e-bikes use non US components.

Can’t see a reason for a subsidy until we start manufacturing them here. ( not just assembly)

Most e-bikes use non US components.

Can’t see a reason for a subsidy until we start manufacturing them here. ( not just assembly)
I would think the idea is to get more people to ride them which has nothing to do with where they are made.

I would think the idea is to get more people to ride them which has nothing to do with where they are made.
In an ideal world yes, but since there is no proof that they are being used for commuting instead of an ICE it’s just a subsidy for Euro and Asian bikes.

I know a lot of folks with $$ e-bikes, some use them in warm weather for leisure and do a few hundred miles a year. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you think those cheap bikes would be almost free? The price would probably adjust upwards for the subsidy.

In an ideal world yes, but since there is no proof that they are being used for commuting instead of an ICE it’s just a subsidy for Euro and Asian bikes.

I know a lot of folks with $$ e-bikes, some use them in warm weather for leisure and do a few hundred miles a year. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you think those cheap bikes would be almost free? The price would probably adjust upwards for the subsidy.
Not sure what the ICE reference means but they are being used more and more for delivery, police are starting to use them, and I expect more and more people will use them to commute especially if they get a rebate. One of the reasons I had heat pumps installed a few years ago was a rebate so they are good incentives.

Although I was hopeful on a credit this year, the ebike cost criteria didn't make sense. Also should have applied to any bike. The benefit they were promoting with the credit applies to any cost ebike or analog bike. Foolish plan, but I don't mind taking advantage of government foolishness.

Not sure what the ICE reference means but they are being used more and more for delivery, police are starting to use them, and I expect more and more people will use them to commute especially if they get a rebate. One of the reasons I had heat pumps installed a few years ago was a rebate so they are good incentives.
If you are “doing your bit” for climate and your wallet, a subsidy should reduce your driving of an Internal Combustion Engine vehicle.

IMHO, there are way too many e-bikes that are impulse buys as just another toy. Pre-Pandemic I bought my ebike with157 miles on it . We are starting to see the same kind of thing now, bikes that haven’t been used since last year. Battery not maintained at a decent charge level so dead. More landfill.

If there were a way to clock the ebike miles using an app ( like some of the health insurance ones) you could maybe figure out a way to incentivize actual use rather than just purchase. So do 900 miles in 1 year you get a rebate.

The heat pump you will use most of the time and your lower electricity consumption and emissions benefit us all A subsidy is justified as is solar/ battery if you have the climate to support it. We have one too and it’s very efficient.

Back