The cheap ebike. Take 2.

harryS

These are used motors, taken off a bankrupt ebike share venture, but they are pretty strong Bafang units. Good for 500W, I bought a pair for $113 shipped. MIne came well packed in a box with bio-degradeable styrofoam peanuts, 26" rim, tire, tube, attached disk brake rotor, and a Textro Model 300 caliper. The latter two, well the latter four would be at least 40 dollars new.

I've tested both motors. They spin up to an indicated 22 mph on a 36V 15A controller.

The only issue was one wheel was all wobbly, but this is a good learning exercise for those who want to learn about trueing wheels. I had 1/2" of side wobble but it diminished to almost useable after loosening all the spokes, Tightened up 3 spokes and it spun straight, Then I retightened everything, About 15 minutes.

All I need now is a bike, a battery, and electronics. This might be the bike, a Hyper 26" all steel cruiser that I bought for $155 shipped from Walmart. I haven't opened it yet. Unfortunately, it won't take disk brakes.

PICT0341.JPG

Only looking to build something for a 15 mile range. so 36V, and any number of small batteries will work.

$45 is a great price for these Bafang hub motor wheels, good idea to buy a spare

I think Walmart sells a "hyper" ebike for ~$500usd that would get you a battery and controller (crappy controller). Gets you a motor too but yours sound better. Not sure if voltages align but I figured I'd toss it out there. LeonCycle.com (or LeonCycle.ca) sell batteries at very good prices for known good cells in them if you want a pre-made battery pack and mount.

$199

Last edited:
Dang. No shipping to Nova Scotia (Canada) I'd have snagged one of those for my son, he's looking to build a bike.

The Walmart Hyper bike has no throttle or display. I got those laying in my junk box. If someone threw away a suitable bike, I could do this for under $200.

These are used motors, taken off a bankrupt ebike share venture, but they are pretty strong Bafang units. Good for 500W, I bought a pair for $113 shipped. MIne came well packed in a box with bio-degradeable styrofoam peanuts, 26" rim, tire, tube, attached disk brake rotor, and a Textro Model 300 caliper. The latter two, well the latter four would be at least 40 dollars new.

I've tested both motors. They spin up to an indicated 22 mph on a 36V 15A controller.

The only issue was one wheel was all wobbly, but this is a good learning exercise for those who want to learn about trueing wheels. I had 1/2" of side wobble but it diminished to almost useable after loosening all the spokes, Tightened up 3 spokes and it spun straight, Then I retightened everything, About 15 minutes.

All I need now is a bike, a battery, and electronics. This might be the bike, a Hyper 26" all steel cruiser that I bought for $155 shipped from Walmart. I haven't opened it yet. Unfortunately, it won't take disk brakes.

View attachment 85591

Only looking to build something for a 15 mile range. so 36V, and any number of small batteries will work.
How long have you had that bike? I haven't seen a chain guard like that on a new bike in quite a while.

thanks. ordered 2. I hopethey are legit, no physical address under contact info. Ready when the Mac12 wears out.

thanks. ordered 2. I hopethey are legit, no physical address under contact info. Ready when the Mac12 wears out.
I think the vendor must have bought these at auction when Uber had 20,000 JUMP bikes scrapped last year. Nothing wrong with the motor, and it comes with a disk brake rotor

Viribus single-speed lightweight electric bikes include an LCD display, and 36V 6Ah battery which offer about 15 miles of powered operation or about 37 miles of hybrid use. and it on sale now :>

Blowing off this build. These tough little guys are great and reliable.

Items Ordered​

Subtotal $79.00
Shipping & Handling $64.31
Grand Total $143.31
GBK-100F 250~350W36V brushless front motor, high speed, light weight
RPM: 328
$79.00
Ordered: 1
Shipped: 1
Price: $79.00

Installing my uber recycle motor today. The julet - bullet connector harness came the 2nd day via USPS. Those 7 lobe nuts are funny; found 2 12mm-1.25 hex nuts at the flea market yesterday. Burnt the pin off the harness to the Mac12t in the rain 7/12. One more hole to drill in the torque arm, clip the wire to the strut, ride out to the summer camp where the ebikeling controller is. Ordered a controller 7/14, got a USPS tracking # only 7/27.
I'm nervous about the schalbe marathon tire on the uber wheel. Road tires have a lot of flats. Has a long brass shrader stem, probably tubeless. I should probably take it off now and put on a knobby kenda, but I'm out of long stem tubes. If I do ride the marathon tire, will carry a knobby tire with me.

Last edited:
Installing my uber recycle motor today. The julet - bullet connector harness came the 2nd day via USPS. Those 7 lobe nuts are funny; found 2 12mm-1.25 hex nuts at the flea market yesterday. Burnt the pin off the harness to the Mac12t in the rain 7/12. One more hole to drill in the torque arm, clip the wire to the strut, ride out to the summer camp where the ebikeling controller is. Ordered a controller 7/14, got a USPS tracking # only 7/27.
I'm nervous about the schalbe marathon tire on the uber wheel. Road tires have a lot of flats. Has a long brass shrader stem, probably tubeless. I should probably take it off now and put on a knobby kenda, but I'm out of long stem tubes. If I do ride the marathon tire, will carry a knobby tire with me.
Schwalbe Marathon tires are pretty flat proof. They have an extra anti-puncture layer and are expensive touring tires. I use them on my commuter bikes.

I started putting mine together 10 days ago. Still a work in progress. No torque arms yet, but fork is steel, and Uber did not use torque arms either. Using v-brakes.

Using a KT square wave controller, 20A, and a 36V 10AH UPP battery off another conversion. Cranks along OK in PAS 1 at 12 mph. Tops out at 20 mph. It's comfy, and the high handlebars bars are novel.

cruiser.JPG cruiser-5.JPG

The controller was too large for the only controller box I had, so I cut a slot for it. The power cord was too short too, but I'll fix that.

I also bought the Uber 36V battery for $40, a nice 40 cell unit in a metal case that is 19" long. I daydream about cutting out a wooden "tank" and hiding the battery in it, but that would be a wide tank.

cruiser-3.JPG

I started putting mine together 10 days ago. Still a work in progress. No torque arms yet, but fork is steel, and Uber did not use torque arms either. Using v-brakes.

Using a KT square wave controller, 20A, and a 36V 10AH UPP battery off another conversion. Cranks along OK in PAS 1 at 12 mph. Tops out at 20 mph. It's comfy, and the high handlebars bars are novel.

View attachment 94842 View attachment 94843

The controller was too large for the only controller box I had, so I cut a slot for it. The power cord was too short too, but I'll fix that.

I also bought the Uber 36V battery for $40, a nice 40 cell unit in a metal case that is 19" long. I daydream about cutting out a wooden "tank" and hiding the battery in it, but that would be a wide tank.

View attachment 94844
I'm sure you know this but that rim isn't meant to be rim brake compatible.
I need another ebike like I need a hole in the head but I ordered a similar new/never used "Bafang FM G320.250.R 250W DC36V Front Wheel Electric Motor Hub" laced into a 26" wheel (same type rim as yours) to put into a 70's Sears 10 speed that I had converted into a 3 speed IGH several years ago. The hub has a roller brake interface but I'm not sure if I'll use a roller brake or not. These were surplus from Jump rental bikes, cost was similar - $30 plus $28 shipping.
I was sort of intrigued because the motor is supposed to have 11:1 gearing while a no name rear hub motor that I have is 4.5:1. That motor works great in steep terrain which is where I need assist so the Bafang should have twice the hill climbing torque (based on internal gearing), at least that is what I'm hoping, although the motor might be less powerful.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that rim is wrong for v-brakes. I will have to change the rim.

Last edited:
Back