the beast hit 14,000 miles

fooferdoggie

IMG_3473.jpeg
IMG_3474.jpeg
the beast just hit 14,000 miles in 3 years. would have been more but crash stopped us riding for a couple of months and my wife shoulder replacement was 4 months of not riding. though them motor needs repaired or it may just be better to replace it. I think having the motor in front letting the stoker peddle freely is hard on the one way bearing in the motor. its fixable with a new side for 125.00 but I a worried after that many moles the left side bearing with all the rain may be not in great shape either.

View attachment 173613View attachment 173614the beast just hit 14,000 miles in 3 years. would have been more but crash stopped us riding for a couple of months and my wife shoulder replacement was 4 months of not riding. though them motor needs repaired or it may just be better to replace it. I think having the motor in front letting the stoker peddle freely is hard on the one way bearing in the motor. its fixable with a new side for 125.00 but I a worried after that many moles the left side bearing with all the rain may be not in great shape either.

Congratulations !!! This so very cool. I'd love to see more pictures of your tandem. The Bosch Drive system is the best in my view. I'm on
my third Trek/ Bosch Drive (Traditional bike) 12,000 miles no problems. Tandems are in a league by themselves, power, stress, wear and tear
as I'm sure you know extremely well.

I notice you're using DT Swiss Spokes, If I may, what rims and tires ? Flat protection is absolute paramount for me and I suspect you and
your wife.... I ride Schwalbe Flatless, and you ?

Thanks in advance and congratulations again for a huge accomplishment,
John

I think the problem was that the motor is in front and that lets the stoker petal independently. that will put a lot more wear on that one way gear then normally would happen. yes there is a lot of extra wear on tandems then a regular bike. the back has a velocity cliffhanger rim and the front a dt Swiss 540 rim. the tandem is tubeless and I am using Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tubeless tires right now. I had lighter tires that gave a better ride and a bit more speed but they are too delicate for winter.
IMG_3305.jpeg

poor beast needs new muscle. looks like the motor would need one new side though two would be better. but the cost of that would be about 1/2 of new. hats if I could find someone that could do it. so my bulls that got a new motor from bosch is going to be the donor. it will cost me 200.00 in labor to swap the motors. I owl take the xt brakes off the bulls as they are nicer than the deore brakes too. it will eave me with an extra wheel set and lots of parts. not sure what I will do with the frame.
IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3548.jpeg

Last edited:
Back