Thank you all so much

jfny1978

Region
USA
From when I couldn't even decide whether to convert a bike to an eBike or buy a pre-made eBike, to deciding what motor to get, to help installing everything, this forum has been a total Godsend.

I am happy to report that my 2019 Trek Marlin 5 is now an eBike, with a Bafang Mid-Drive Motor (BBS02) and I love it. I took it over 10 miles around my city in upstate New York today, up and down hills, and cutting through the wind like knife through hot butter.

I live less than 2 miles from the Hudson River, but never took a bike there before because I didn't want to ride it back up hill. It's a total game changer!

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who has helped me. You all rock! And now I plan to pay it forward by sharing my newfound knowledge with anyone who wants to hear about it.

untitled.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

@jfny1978 — You’ve just convinced me to convert my Trek Marlin 5 (large frame), too, so may I please ask which battery you installed? I‘ve used downloaded paper templates to check fit, but I figure I’ll buy whatever case size you bought.

Huge thanks for your various threads on this build! I’m so glad to know it’s worked out for you.

@jfny1978 — You’ve just convinced me to convert my Trek Marlin 5 (large frame), too, so may I please ask which battery you installed? I‘ve used downloaded paper templates to check fit, but I figure I’ll buy whatever case size you bought.

Huge thanks for your various threads on this build! I’m so glad to know it’s worked out for you.
Well, there have been some headaches since I last posted, but I think I am figuring it out!

I have a 36V 15.6ah battery. It fits! But not by much. I used pipe straps to mount a water bottle holder on the top of the frame right in front of the seat. It works.

From when I couldn't even decide whether to convert a bike to an eBike or buy a pre-made eBike, to deciding what motor to get, to help installing everything, this forum has been a total Godsend.

I am happy to report that my 2019 Trek Marlin 5 is now an eBike, with a Bafang Mid-Drive Motor (BBS02) and I love it. I took it over 10 miles around my city in upstate New York today, up and down hills, and cutting through the wind like knife through hot butter.

I live less than 2 miles from the Hudson River, but never took a bike there before because I didn't want to ride it back up hill. It's a total game changer!

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who has helped me. You all rock! And now I plan to pay it forward by sharing my newfound knowledge with anyone who wants to hear about it.

View attachment 82223

View attachment 82224
Nice! Where is this?

Riding a converted Trek 930 myself, though it's an off-the-shelf 250W kit from Clean Republic. Range is only 10-15 miles, so I upgraded to a mid-drive, but I'll be enjoying the Trek for a long time to come.

I'm familiar with the area around Columbiaville & Hudson NY, really love it up there. My buddy's dad bought a farmhouse up there in the late '60s, and we still hang out there sometimes, though it's been 5 years or so. Beautiful country.

Back