Texas to Florida -- With the bike -- In a Prius

cal25

Going to head to Florida with the wife in a few days for a few weeks with the in-laws. Trying to determine the best way to store the bike in the car. I saw the post on here where someone used a tote box from Lowes to keep the XP stored maginably and that would be my preferred method if it will fit in the upright folded position. I did fold the bike and put it on it's side to get it in the car once to get it to a trailhead. It would not fit upright then I think because of the milk crate zip-tied on the rack. I certainly will cut the zip-ties this time and just take some extras for the other end of the trip. At the time I did not think of pulling the handlebar stem like the bike was in the box and as a result, the only way I could get it in the car was laying on the derailleur. It was ok for for a short trip but not a 2500 mile round trip. Don't want to use a bike rack either.

Any tips from anyone that has tranported their XP in a hatchback or small/midsize car like a Prius?

I have a 2005 Prius and my e-bike fits in the back with seat folded down. I just have to take off the front tire. The only problem is that there's not a lot of room for anything else.

I have a Toyota Matrix hatchback and my XP fit perfectly. I am not familiar with the Prius but I suspect it probably does not have the same overhead clearance as a Matrix.

Yeah, it looks like you have me beat by headroom in the cargo area. Tried the tote box last nite and it is a no go for my Prius. Will use it in the Suburban when pulling the travel trailer though. I did remeasure and it is within 1 inch of the lowest spot in the roof of the car so should fit with a little tilt while loading.

I also found that removing the handlebars completely out of the stem allowed me to place my XP down sideways in my RV on the non-geared side. That took away a lot of worry about damage to the derailleur system. I should think that this would work for a car as well.

Back