Test ride on a ST5

hurricane56

Well, I now know the gold standard of factory built ebikes, and that's the ST5. I was able to participate in an ebike festival/demo day called Super Bicycle hosted by The New Wheel ebike store. They're a great SF Bay Area ebike store that has two locations, one in San Francisco and the other in Marin County. I was extremely impressed at how well constructed the bike was. It has a super high level of fit and finish that really is unrivaled. The one most impressive feature is how well the direct drive motor works. I was able to easily maintain 28mph and above speeds riding into a light headwind. After riding my two other ebikes well over 10,000 miles, my butt dynamometer was telling me the motor was putting down more like 900ish watts at peak output. The programming on the controller is very organic and smooth even at the highest level of assist. One thing I did appreciate was the bike is virtually silent compared my my Bosch mid-drive and geared fat bike commuter. It really was quite a thrilling ride!

Now to find that extra $10k to pay for one.

Attachments

• IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    986.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 60
I was able to easily maintain 28mph and above speeds riding into a light headwind.

That's because of the real torque a hub direct drive provides - instead of the the "paper-sheet"-torque of a mid drive. If, however, you switch to the (S) mode on a slight uphill road, no other street legal bike will be able to follow.

Last edited:
That's because of the real torque a hub direct drive provides - instead of the the "paper-sheet"-torque of a mid drive. If, however, you switch to the mode on a slight uphill road, no other street legal bike will be able to follow.

Yep true that. Also, the controller programming doesn't seem to artificially dial down the motor output once you're at those speeds. My main gripe with Bosch motors is the speed restrictions that start to taper off the power right before 27mph. By 27.5mph the motor isn't doing anything. For those that have big stretches of ground to cover, maintaining 28mph is a reality.

Well, I now know the gold standard of factory built ebikes, and that's the ST5. I was able to participate in an ebike festival/demo day called Super Bicycle hosted by The New Wheel ebike store. They're a great SF Bay Area ebike store that has two locations, one in San Francisco and the other in Marin County. I was extremely impressed at how well constructed the bike was. It has a super high level of fit and finish that really is unrivaled. The one most impressive feature is how well the direct drive motor works. I was able to easily maintain 28mph and above speeds riding into a light headwind. After riding my two other ebikes well over 10,000 miles, my butt dynamometer was telling me the motor was putting down more like 900ish watts at peak output. The programming on the controller is very organic and smooth even at the highest level of assist. One thing I did appreciate was the bike is virtually silent compared my my Bosch mid-drive and geared fat bike commuter. It really was quite a thrilling ride!

Now to find that extra $10k to pay for one.

When you ride the ST5, there is a sense of royal feeling. The stability and quietness are quite something. Cruising at 25mph, you know that you are barely stressing the motor and it is completely quiet.
When you ride any mid-drive at 25mph, you know that you are pushing the motor. I have always enjoyed the quiet, powerful ride feel of the Stromers.

I am pleased to read this. Although I’ve never ridden an ST5, I just bought one and am awaiting delivery. Not exactly sure when it will arrive, but I’ll post up pics when it does.

Last edited:
I continue to be amazed that this company still has money in the bank. Way overpriced products with almost no sales in North America after many years of trying. Way too many issues with previous model builds. There are so many better value propositions on the market today and as far as performance is concerned I'll put an FLX Blade against the ST5 any day for less than half the cost.

My daily commuter pushes out 1700w on a fresh battery, but for usual rides I find myself cruising around 30mph. If someone wanted to join my commute with this type of bike, the could keep up with some of the DIY bikes.

I also appreciate that the Stromer is a real 28mph speed pedelec. Although I put down roughly 5000 miles on my Bosch powered bike, the thing that was disappointing is the power curve and and speed limitations they program into the system before you even reach 28mph.

For a high mileage commute application, a rear hub motor is really the better option since they are easier on the drive train.

Bosch motors are wimpy and I do agree that rear hubs are easier on the drive system. I'd prefer a mid-drive for the ease of changing a rear flat. For road use where speeds are relatively constant, drive wear is negligible. Now I do agree that if you are changing elevations and gears constantly, with constant strain on the chain, then a rear hub will have less impact on transmission wear. Plus, rear hubs get up to speed more easily without regard to the gear you are in. If you are in the SF Bay area, then PM me and come ride an FLX Blade before you plunk down $6K more for an ST5.

Bosch motors are wimpy and I do agree that rear hubs are easier on the drive system. I'd prefer a mid-drive for the ease of changing a rear flat. For road use where speeds are relatively constant, drive wear is negligible. Now I do agree that if you are changing elevations and gears constantly, with constant strain on the chain, then a rear hub will have less impact on transmission wear. Plus, rear hubs get up to speed more easily without regard to the gear you are in. If you are in the SF Bay area, then PM me and come ride an FLX Blade before you plunk down $6K more for an ST5.

The good thing is that I'm not currently in the market for an ST5 as I agree the price point is way out of reach for most people. Since I started ebike commuting, I've enjoyed testing bikes even though I own two ebikes currently. On my regular route, I sometimes see more ebikes than regular bikes. Guessing the overall speeds of the different bikes, the people riding Stromers are the ones that can keep a consistent higher speed compared to most other factory built bikes.

I might have to take you up on your offer to try your Blade, it looks like an amazing rig. Most of my riding is commute riding and I'm regularly going from Fremont to Palo Alto daily.

The good thing is that I'm not currently in the market for an ST5 as I agree the price point is way out of reach for most people. Since I started ebike commuting, I've enjoyed testing bikes even though I own two ebikes currently. On my regular route, I sometimes see more ebikes than regular bikes. Guessing the overall speeds of the different bikes, the people riding Stromers are the ones that can keep a consistent higher speed compared to most other factory built bikes.

I might have to take you up on your offer to try your Blade, it looks like an amazing rig. Most of my riding is commute riding and I'm regularly going from Fremont to Palo Alto daily.
I ride the FLX Blade strictly on the street and put a set of Schwalbe super moto tires on it. C'mon by anytime. I live in Dublin.

There are so many better value propositions on the market today and as far as performance is concerned I'll put an FLX Blade against the ST5 any day for less than half the cost.

Different situation in here. E-bikes have to be strictly street legal.

With this in mind, the range of possible competitors (gearless direct hub drive) will shrink to... Go Swissdrive, Kymco/Klever and...

When you ride the ST5, there is a sense of royal feeling. The stability and quietness are quite something. Cruising at 25mph, you know that you are barely stressing the motor and it is completely quiet.
When you ride any mid-drive at 25mph, you know that you are pushing the motor. I have always enjoyed the quiet, powerful ride feel of the Stromers.

I'd love to ride a ST5 but my mid drive doesn't feel stressed at all at 25 and above. Quiet too.

Back