Tero 3.0 vs Tero 5.0 & new owner

ALscott

Region
USA
Great forum! I came across it in my research for my first e-bike. I ordered the 3.0 in M as that's what I thought I needed. Picked it up and it was great. No 5.0 were available in M. I rode it home and was truly amazed at what a difference it made riding an ebike. Started reading info on it, manual, etc and noticed the stand over on M was the same as L and overall size differences were negligible. I went back to the shop since they did have a L 5.0 and tried it. I was completely blown away. The difference between the 2.2 and 2.0E was significant, probably mostly due to 90nm of torque for the 5.0 and 50nm for the 3.0. I could feel the 5.0 pushing me much more and right now that's what I need. I am sure the 3.0 would have been fine but I would have second guessed it every time I was on it. Plus, I have a long history in cycling, been away for far too long, and appreciate the difference in upgraded components. Both are brand spanking new bikes but the SRAM GX stomps the Alivio in shifting performance. I am sure the Alivio would have gotten better with some wear but the GX was crisp and smooth. Also, the extra power of the 5.0 is easily felt. I went up a short-ish but very steep hill with no problem. For anybody looking at the two get the 5.0 and don't look back. I think the difference in components, motor and battery more than justify the extra $1,750.

Congratulations! AL, apart from the stronger motor and the bigger battery (!!!), I value the 5.0 for the fork very much. The one (steel coil) on the 3.0 is very heavy, and does not perform too well off-road. The air fork of the 5.0 just rocks! :)

Back