Technically an Ebike or not???

lol crap like these Electric Motorcycles with pedals slapped are just going to ensure a wonderful future of 250watt bikes with 18mph speed limits, we have it good now but it wont last, machines like this have no place on a public bike trail.
great machines just loose the pedals and stay of public roads and bike trails.

Last edited:
All your points are valid. I think the best way to describe it though is an electric motocross. That's what Merkava eBikes calls it and it's pretty accurate in my opinion.

What this really shows is how overpriced the traditional bike manufacturers are. Look at the cost of a Specialized Vado 5.0 with a tiny battery compared to this or a SurRon.
Can you imagine one of these with only a 1,000 watt motor, less suspension travel and half the battery size? Probably cost $2,000.

What this really shows is how overpriced the traditional bike manufacturers are. Look at the cost of a Specialized Vado 5.0 with a tiny battery compared to this or a SurRon.
Can you imagine one of these with only a 1,000 watt motor, less suspension travel and half the battery size? Probably cost $2,000.

I've seen some of these in person. They're not nearly as lightweight, nor have they had the fit and finish, of a Specialized, or a Trek, or a Kona, etc.

I have no doubt the main LBS bike manufacturers could make cheaper e-bikes if they weren't concerned about mitigating weight and were willing to use cheaper components.

As for customer service and after-sale support, most of the electric motorcycles pretending to be e-bikes that I've seen in person have been ones people bought aftermarket after the company went out of business, so there's that.

I've seen some of these in person. They're not nearly as lightweight, nor have they had the fit and finish, of a Specialized, or a Trek, or a Kona, etc.

I have no doubt the main LBS bike manufacturers could make cheaper e-bikes if they weren't concerned about mitigating weight and were willing to use cheaper components.

As for customer service and after-sale support, most of the electric motorcycles pretending to be e-bikes that I've seen in person have been ones people bought aftermarket after the company went out of business, so there's that.
I think you hit the nail on the head with light weight components. Because an ebike has a motor weight is much less of an issue. Getting rid of all those extra grams comes at a high cost.

Speaking of fit and finish I own a Specialized Vado 4.0 and the gaps and fit of the battery cover is very poor. Also the battery is next to impossible to remove and because of that the battery pops out while riding. LBS can’t redesgn the mechanism and admits it is a problem. Specialized keeps making the same design!

Back