TCD/Garmin Mount on 2022 Turbo Vado SL

mogulman

Region
USA
City
Colorado
I have the 2022 Vado SL that includes a TCD/Garmin Mount. Initially I thought it was great. I'm using it with my Garmin Edge 530. After riding a bunch, I'm not so sure. Do you all use it? If so, any way to tighten it down more?

I've found that the connection to the stem is a clip that doesn't seem to be able to be tightened, so it wobbles around a little. Also, the hinge that allows it to be angled is really hard to tighten, so that it doesn't move when going over bumps.

Attachments

• 20220518_084825.jpg
    20220518_084825.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Highly recommend using a torque tool when re-tightening the bolts. If you don't have one, I am sure a local LBS could help and should do it free... takes 20 seconds.

Already took it apart. Removed the bracket. Decided I didn't like the little hole where the bracket was. Since I had the bracket out, I secured it with some removable glue so it doesn't move around Not sure if it will last, but I'll try it. Put it back together already.

Highly recommend using a torque tool when re-tightening the bolts. If you don't have one, I am sure a local LBS could help and should do it free... takes 20 seconds.
Curious why you highly recommend this? I know torque tools are a good idea, but have you crushed a handlebar or broken something?

Curious why you highly recommend this? I know torque tools are a good idea, but have you crushed a handlebar or broken something?
It is especially important with carbon bars to ensure even distribution of the clamping force across all 4 bolts so that you don't put so much stress that you cause any damage. It is also good practice to ensure the minim spec is met so that there isn't any slippage. It's always good practice on aluminum bars again to ensure consistent connection force to prevent any slippage of the bar under load or to cause unequal force to the bolts that could increase the chance of a bolt shearing under heavy load or sudden impact. Chances of happening are slim but ... I torque every bolt to factory spec. The owner's manual will list the specs.

as said below but also I have found if those bolts are too tight or too lose you get squawks too. tightening more does no help its one of the few places I always use a torque wrench.

Now that a lot of bicycle components are carbon, a torque tool is generally recommended. It's not really necessary on the aluminum Vado SL stem face plate but still a good practice. I didn't/don't use the TCD and I also broke the original light bracket. I use a Lezyne Direct X lock system with the Garmin on top and light mount on the bottom. I use a K Edge Duo mount on my Creo.

Now that a lot of bicycle components are carbon, a torque tool is generally recommended. It's not really necessary on the aluminum Vado SL stem face plate but still a good practice. I didn't/don't use the TCD and I also broke the original light bracket. I use a Lezyne Direct X lock system with the Garmin on top and light mount on the bottom. I use a K Edge Duo mount on my Creo.
Yeah. My light bracket just broke on my ride. 😢

Attachments

• 20220518_180856.jpg
    20220518_180856.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 222
Looks like the light uses a GoPro type mount. Ordered this from Amazon in aluminum. I got the extension 9cm so I can have the light lower, so it doesn't interfere with my handlebar bag. Disappointed in the crappy bracket quality from specialized though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-195628_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-195628_Samsung Internet.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 195
Mine broke while I was riding. Could have been agrivated by my handle bar bag, but I didn't have anything heavy in it at the time. Maybe just because I was riding a lot of gravel roads.

Already took it apart. Removed the bracket. Decided I didn't like the little hole where the bracket was. Since I had the bracket out, I secured it with some removable glue so it doesn't move around Not sure if it will last, but I'll try it. Put it back together already.
My Vado SL came with a little plastic 'thing' which fitted into the slot left in the stem after I removed the mount. Check the bag of miscellaneous bits supplied with the bike.

Here's the aluminum light mount from parts off amazon. I had it a little farther down so it didn't interfere with my bag.

Attachments

• 20220523_124615.jpg
    20220523_124615.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 20220523_124341.jpg
    20220523_124341.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 333
Back