T1000 replacement tires

pathfinder

Region
USA
About to hit 1000 miles on my t1000 and will need to replace both tires soon. All of my riding is on paved roads.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy? I can't seem to locate the OEM ones online. Tires are 26x4.

Thnx

I have the same ebike.

I've done a lot of searching, and there's very little available in a 26" fat tire with a street tread.

And with a regular 26"X4.00" nobby tire, the nobs will hit the frame.

I did find one tire that I am going to buy for my next tire,..

Screenshot_20230831-151613_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Apparently it fits our fat rims.
It is a Really Efficient tire with a Really Long tread life.

It comes in different TPI (thread counts) and is available in both folding and wire bead.

I'm going to go with the wire bead tire because our original tires have a wire bead.

I can remove and install my tires with no tools, just my hands.
I don't trust a folding bead to stay on the rim without popping off.

I'm pretty sure that the wire bead version is tougher and more durable but it is heavier than folding.
It's cheaper too.

Screenshot_20230831-151329_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Keep in mind that it is a 3.5" tire, as aposssed to a 4.00" tire, so your speedometer will be off.

Your speedometer will be reading faster than you are going, and your top speed will be reduced.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230831-151542_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230831-151542_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 66
i ended up buying these and am waiting on delivery, hopefully the knobbies aren't going to get in the way. they don't look that big but who knows. we'll see and i'll let u know. I did see those other tires and that will be my next option if these don't fit. i also saw them in a 4.0 instead of a 3.5.

sucks that ncm/leon can't keep them in stock for customers.

Fincci Pair 26 x 4.0 Inch 100-559 Foldable Fat Tires for Road Mountain MTB Mud Dirt Offroad Bike Bicycle (Pack of 2)​

1693517779942.png

i ended up buying these and am waiting on delivery, hopefully the knobbies aren't going to get in the way.

There was a YouTube guy that made knobbies fit by cutting off the knobs that were hitting the frame.
I think he removed his fenders too ?

we'll see and i'll let u know.

Yeah, let me know.
I don't need tires yet but I want to know what works.

I did see those other tires and that will be my next option if these don't fit. i also saw them in a 4.0 instead of a 3.5.

Are you sure?
Send me a link if you find something.

sucks that ncm/leon can't keep them in stock for customers.

I don't think that they were ever in stock ?

Tires and tubes got here today. I'm gonna have the lbs do it for me but I'm leaving tomorrow for a week so it will get done when I return.

From the look and my measurement they should clear the fenders. The knobbys are about a 1\4 inch and the fender with the OEM tire has more than that. I'll let u know when I return.

One thing though, on the tire it says foldable, so I went back to the description online and it says also used on foldable bikes? Is there a difference between a reg and foldable bike tire?
Thnx
20230902_162913.jpg
20230902_162905.jpg

Tires and tubes got here today. I'm gonna have the lbs do it for me but I'm leaving tomorrow for a week so it will get done when I return.

From the look and my measurement they should clear the fenders. The knobbys are about a 1\4 inch and the fender with the OEM tire has more than that. I'll let u know when I return.

One thing though, on the tire it says foldable, so I went back to the description online and it says also used on foldable bikes? Is there a difference between a reg and foldable bike tire?
Thnx
View attachment 161836View attachment 161837

It's not the fender, it's the frame clearance.
If you have knobbys going up the sidewalls or your tires, they will probably hit the frame.

20230902_164438.jpg
20230902_164456.jpg

Foldable is referring to the tire itself (it has nothing to do with folding bikes)

A folding tire folds up so you can easily carry a spare with you.

A wire bead tire won't fold because it has a wire bead reinforcement around each side of the tire where the tire meets the rim.

Our OEM tires have a wire bead and I can easily remove the tires from the rim with just my hands and no tools.

Perhaps your new tires have a slightly smaller inner diameter so they fit a bit tighter on the rim?

But I'm worried about a folding tire with it's floppy bead, popping off the rim.

Wire bead tires are generally tougher than folding, but they weigh more.

I want a Tough tire. Getting a flat on my ebike concerns me.

Foldable is referring to the tire itself (it has nothing to do with folding bikes)

A folding tire folds up so you can easily carry a spare with you.

A wire bead tire won't fold because it has a wire bead reinforcement around each side of the tire where the tire meets the rim.

Our OEM tires have a wire bead and I can easily remove the tires from the rim with just my hands and no tools.

Perhaps your new tires have a slightly smaller inner diameter so they fit a bit tighter on the rim?

But I'm worried about a folding tire with it's floppy bead, popping off the rim.

Wire bead tires are generally tougher than folding, but they weigh more.

I want a Tough tire. Getting a flat on my ebike concerns me.
Thnx on the foldable lesson, it's gonna be close but from my basic hand measurements and eyeballing of the sidewalls it might make it.

On the OEM tires I've had 3 flats riding on road and I saw these have a 30 tpi so I'm hoping maybe it will be less. Time will tell.

Thnx on the foldable lesson, it's gonna be close but from my basic hand measurements and eyeballing of the sidewalls it might make it.

On the OEM tires I've had 3 flats riding on road and I saw these have a 30 tpi so I'm hoping maybe it will be less. Time will tell.

It's these knobs here that might clip the frame,..

Screenshot_20230902-170914_DuckDuckGo.jpg

There was a YouTube guy with a T1000 that installed knobby tires on his bike but he had to cut the knobs off the sidewall so the tire would clear the frame.
I doubt that an LBS would be willing to do that though.

Ohh, BTW,.. there's no clearance issue on the front forks.
There's tons of room for tires up front.

Last edited:

I got all carried away worrying about getting a flat, so I installed Tannus inserts, Mr Tuffy tire liners, and FlatOut in each tire.
I spend $350 CAD on flat protection. 😂

They fit perfect, no issues at all. It looks like they actually have more clearance on the frame than the oem

Wow !!
I didn't expect that.
I guess that just about any 26"X4" tire will fit our T1000's ?

Can you do me a favor and let me know what you think of the tires?

I've read that nobby tires really buzz on asphalt. Some people like it and others hate it.
I'm curious to know if your range is reduced in any noticeable way.
Nobby tires are supposed to have a lot more rolling resistance.

And it looks like a folding bead tire works on our rims too, so I can easily carry a spare tire with me.

How did you deal with those flats?
Did you call a freind or tow truck or something, or was it a slow enough leak to make it home?
Was it taken to a bike shop to get fixed?

How did you deal with those flats?
Did you call a freind or tow truck or something, or was it a slow enough leak to make it home?
Was it taken to a bike shop to get fixed?
2x wife picked me up w SUV, last time I was a qtr\half mile from home and just picked up the rear end and rolled it home. Yes lbs for new tubes. Too hot in sfl and I'm too old to deal with it.

LBS just got me for $50 each on the tire replacement job.

.., last time I was a qtr\half mile from home and just picked up the rear end and rolled it home.

I spent $220 CAD for Tannus inserts specifically because they say that you can ride on a flat tire at 6 mph to get yourself home.
That's not case, at least not with 26"X4" tires.

I didn't realize that until I deflated my tires to install the inserts and the tires just fell off the rim, then the bead gets jammed in the frame so you have to lift and carry the rear end of the bike.

My Tannus inserts were a complete waste of money.

PS,..
You might want to consider putting ½ a bottle of Flat Out Sportsman Formula in each tire.
There's a really good chance that it can seal a puncture and at least buy you some time to get the bike home to deal with it later.

It's not available in Canada and cost me $50 CAD on Amazon.
It apparently works WAY better than Slime, and lasts for the life of the tire/tube.

I'll let u know how they ride, the flat out looks good but seems to be a pia to use?

You have let the air out of the tire then remove the valve core to put it in.
Reseating the tire can be challenging.
Perhaps your LBS can do it if you get another flat.

Wow !!
I didn't expect that.
I guess that just about any 26"X4" tire will fit our T1000's ?

Can you do me a favor and let me know what you think of the tires?

I've read that nobby tires really buzz on asphalt. Some people like it and others hate it.
I'm curious to know if your range is reduced in any noticeable way.
Nobby tires are supposed to have a lot more rolling resistance.

And it looks like a folding bead tire works on our rims too, so I can easily carry a spare tire with me.
Sorry been swimming and lifting the last couple weeks and finally got the bike out. Rides perfect, no discernable buzz noise or any for that matter that I noticed ( though I am a little hard of hearing at 61). Resistance difference was not noticable but again I'm not that tuned into what really goes on when riding. I put the earbuds in, crank up the music and do my 10-15m on the beach road.

So I'm happy overall, tires were very reasonably priced and they ride fine for my needs. Hopefully I can get more than 1k miles out of them ... and no flats!

Back