Switched to an e-bike. It took me too long to smarten up.

Alvin1957

Region
USA
City
Midlothian, TX
Hello,
Been riding forever but only got my Giant Explore E+4 Sta just over a year ago. Originally, my wife was having trouble on the longer rides and finally just quit riding. So we rented a couple of Giant LaFree just to see what she thought. She very quickly test rode and bought an Amiti. I could not keep up and was working myself to death. I relented and tried a several brands. I chose the Giant with the open frame. I no longer enjoy swinging my leg over the wheel, panniers and seat! I did what I think most of us do and changed things out for a better fit. I've always had trouble my hands and feet going numb and had worked up solutions on my previous bikes. I really like Pedaling Inovation wide pedals. That moved my feet forward and did away with toe and foot problems.
I'm addicted to Brooks saddles and so switched to a their Flyer. A very smooth ride. The handlebars were extended back with a pair of mountain bike bar ends and some grips. You can ride on the flat bar grips about 60% of the time and then raise up to watch the scenery and take all the weight off the hands with the extensions. No more finger numbness and you can relax the shoulders and neck. Yeah, I could have gotten an e-bike with a different configuration but I really like the Explore and I love to tinker. Thanks for reading this a thanks to those that have offered help on some electronic problems.

Attachments

• 20201130_164907.jpg
    20201130_164907.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 357
Bike Humor...sort of.
For those of us that have watched too much TV while we were young.
Why get an e-bike for Christmas? For the only time in our lives, we can 'have the strength of 10 Grinches, plus 2.'

I know what you mean about swinging one's leg over the saddle, etc. I had to do that with my last analog bike. Here's a helpful response if your are challenged for that choice: Kid: " Hey boomer, how come ya riding a girl's bike?" Rider: "This ain't no girl's bike kid, it's a STEP THROUGH!" Whoever came up with that designation is a marketing genius.

Last edited:
I have more problem hiking my leg up on a step through then I do swinging it over the seat. it tales me more effort it seems
I found that clearing the trunk bag / panniers on the step through was a big issue. Went to a diamond frame with frame bag instead and all is well.

Curious what seat post that is. I don’t recall seeing one that slants back before.
Hello Dallant,
If it's the black Explore your looking at...it's simple 'layback' seat post that is often used on mountain bikes (I think). Only about $10(U.S.). Have to buy an old style clamp at LBS. Could not find a seat post with enough setback. Also need a shim to fit properly into frame (about $7.50). My dino-bikes use Velo orange seat posts but that's just not quite far enough for the Explore. The layback post works supremely well with the Brooks Flyer and B-17 saddles.

Thanks, Alvin

I found that clearing the trunk bag / panniers on the step through was a big issue. Went to a diamond frame with frame bag instead and all is well.
Huh? Why would you swing your leg over the bag/panniers on a step through? I stand to the left of my bike, shove my right foot through the gap between the down tube and the seat tube, and slide my butt up onto the seat. Easy peasy.

Good for you. With some weight in the trunkbag, on a large step through, I damn near fell over, every time I climbed a really steep hill. Did fall. Twice.
Got a medium diamond instead. Only the helmet ever goes on the rack, I use a frame bag for everything else. Happy .

Hello Dallant,
If it's the black Explore your looking at...it's simple 'layback' seat post that is often used on mountain bikes (I think). Only about $10(U.S.). Have to buy an old style clamp at LBS. Could not find a seat post with enough setback. Also need a shim to fit properly into frame (about $7.50). My dino-bikes use Velo orange seat posts but that's just not quite far enough for the Explore. The layback post works supremely well with the Brooks Flyer and B-17 saddles.

Thanks, Alvin
I have never seen or heard of one before.

Good for you. With some weight in the trunkbag, on a large step through, I damn near fell over, every time I climbed a really steep hill. Did fall. Twice.
Got a medium diamond instead. Only the helmet ever goes on the rack, I use a frame bag for everything else. Happy .
Said it wrong. Not just the leg swing and hop to mount the seat, but also stopping on the step through, and trying to touch ground w/o leaving the seat was an issue.

I know what you mean about swinging one's leg over the saddle, etc. I had to do that with my last analog bike. Here's a helpful response if your are challenged for that choice: Kid: " Hey boomer, how come ya riding a girl's bike?" Rider: "This ain't no girl's bike kid, it's a STEP THROUGH!" Whoever came up with that designation is a marketing genius.
My masculinity is under greater threat from my top tube, than derision for riding a girlś bike.🙄

I have never seen or heard of one before.
Hello Dallant,
Please look for Black Ops seat post and Alta seat posts. They are on Amazon and and various bike shops and especially mail order parts suppliers. My mistake on saying mountain bike...they are normally found on BMX bikes (wouldn't ride one...I am too old and easily broken now.).

Hello Dallant,
Please look for Black Ops seat post and Alta seat posts. They are on Amazon and and various bike shops and especially mail order parts suppliers. My mistake on saying mountain bike...they are normally found on BMX bikes (wouldn't ride one...I am too old and easily broken now.).
It’s not that I want one, just noticed how different it looked.👍

My masculinity is under greater threat from my top tube, than derision for riding a girlś bike
i hear ya. i traded my 96 proflex kitbike with a dd hub for a test ride on my sister-in-law's "small" haibike. almost had to pry me off it when i came to a stop and got wedged between the seat and the top tube. holy cow!

Is that like a walk in tub? Seriously, One of the best bikes I ever had was a girls 10 speed. It rode super fast and cornered excellent

My bike is is brutal for said dangers! I have had a few squashed... "ya knows"? Takes your breath away sometimes!

I ride with the front shock full open and load it up as i stop to prevent it as much as possible, if it's locked out you're taking your "chances". I also lean it over a little as i come to a stop.

I'm 5'10 - 5'11 and kinda lanky so not a short a55 by any stretch...

Back