Switched to an e-bike. It took me too long to smarten up.

Yeah, I apply my rear brake and tilt my bike towards me at about a 45 and swing my leg over. I don't have to but once my foot caught on the pannier and I almost ate s$#%,,,

I hear ya. I’m probably asking for it as I mount and dismount my ride like I’m riding a horse!😳
Me too, My grampa died at 90 when I was 3, He was a mustanger back in the day when 13 million wild horses roamed
the west, back in 1908. Been 45 years since I worked with horses, but I still bring a carrot for 3 nags on a route I ride regular.

The only real difference is that I use my pedal like a stirrup, then I hop on my back leg to then swing that leg up over the saddle!🤓

My solution to the old leg swing issue was to buy a bike with a dropper post. Thank God for bike technology!

getting on and off a tandem is real fun. if my wife is still on I can only tilt iso far. and even if she is not on it you cant really swing your leg over well because her seat is in the way and her bars.

I guess I’m a Scooter! That’s exactly what I do and always have but never knew that’s what it’s called. There’s no way in hell I’d try to just jump onto the seat. I’d be very afraid of crushing a nut! I don’t need to single-foot-hop when I’m going downhill such as taking off from my driveway.

Last edited:
This is a cycling classic... I use the Single Foot Rollaway or the Flying Mount.
It's really important to maintain your flexibility as you age... use it or lose it! ;)

Note: do not attempt these mounts with loose baggy clothing; consequences may result in a variety of fractures & possibly
a herniated kidney as well.👨‍🦽

getting on and off a tandem is real fun. if my wife is still on I can only tilt iso far. and even if she is not on it you cant really swing your leg over well because her seat is in the way and her bars.
I saw one yesterday when I was out. Cool as hell! 👍

I look at it this way. At 74 (as of today), I can still swing a leg over my conventional Trek MTB's but just how much longer I will be able to do so is unknown. I bought a step thru because E-bikes are expensive and I want to be able to enjoy my investment as long as possible. I've long since ceased to care what others think about a man riding a girls bike. I have the satisfaction of knowing they will find out for themselves eventually.

I look at it this way. At 74 (as of today), I can still swing a leg over my conventional Trek MTB's but just how much longer I will be able to do so is unknown. I bought a step thru because E-bikes are expensive and I want to be able to enjoy my investment as long as possible. I've long since ceased to care what others think about a man riding a girls bike. I have the satisfaction of knowing they will find out for themselves eventually.
Happy Birthday buddy!

You get a tip of my hat for getting on any bike at 74! The fact you are still getting the miles in too.... let anyone try and take the piss! If they don’t know the jokes on them as soon as they open their mouth, well.... ya know! Lol

All my e-bikes are of the step-through type. No shame.

All my e-bikes are of the step-through type. No shame.
Hey gang,
Better riders than I. I started riding in 1961 and never could master the foot on the pedal 'flying start'. Hats off to you. Long ago I had to admit to not being a very fluid and flexible rider. I like the tilt the bike over technique but I have planted my face in the dirt a couple of time too many. I learned to appreciate step-throughs back in the late 60's. My cousin and I rode rural Tennessee and collected old bikes that kids had outgrown and left at their parents homes. With a 'girls bike' you can carry rims, frames and all and then still have a way to safely get aboard...just never fall while carrying that much metal! Easy on and easy off.

Hey gang,
Better riders than I. I started riding in 1961 and never could master the foot on the pedal 'flying start'. Hats off to you. Long ago I had to admit to not being a very fluid and flexible rider. I like the tilt the bike over technique but I have planted my face in the dirt a couple of time too many. I learned to appreciate step-throughs back in the late 60's. My cousin and I rode rural Tennessee and collected old bikes that kids had outgrown and left at their parents homes. With a 'girls bike' you can carry rims, frames and all and then still have a way to safely get aboard...just never fall while carrying that much metal! Easy on and easy off.
I cannot do the "flying start" anymore because of my ill legs. I technically could swing my leg over the high-step frame but why suffer?

Back