Surly Pugsley all season all weather commuting eBike - $3,400

PatMac

For this project, my design brief was to build a bike that could I could ride 15 miles each way to work. Year round in Minnesota any road, any weather. For components I aligned with Grin Technologies, as I like their quality, innovation plus their general social philosophy regarding eBikes. The battery came from another trusted resource EM3EV. Overall a very nice machine. The controller is fully programmable and can interface to a laptop, lots of eBike nerdery here.
With teenagers keeping me busy, I have not been able to ride this bike as much as planned. The bike has never seen road salt. The battery has less than 20 charging cycles.

Details:
• 18" Surly Pugsley original arctic white (medium)
• 2 sets of tires for summer (Vee Speedster) and winter (Surly)
• High quality components from Grin Technologies in Vancouver, BC.
• Phaserunner Field Oriented Motor Controller for smooth sensor less operation.
• Open Source Motor Controller programming
• Direct Drive Motor with 5 speed integral geared hub
• Single Speed drivetrain for winter ease of maintenance
• Regenerative Breaking
• Encoder system provides cadence control for motor
• Hard wired front and rear lights.
• Large EM3EV 52V 21-Ah Battery for long range (~60 miles)
• Big-O Fenders
• Ergon Cork grips
• Thudbuster seatpost
• Rear rack for panniers
• Nice platform pedals
• All components to return to stock Arctic White Surly Pug.

Please see the .PDF file attachment for photos and build cost.

Attachments

• Surly Ebike Dec 2018.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 839
For this project, my design brief was to build a bike that could I could ride 15 miles each way to work. Year round in Minnesota any road, any weather. For components I aligned with Grin Technologies, as I like their quality, innovation plus their general social philosophy regarding eBikes. The battery came from another trusted resource EM3EV. Overall a very nice machine. The controller is fully programmable and can interface to a laptop, lots of eBike nerdery here.
With teenagers keeping me busy, I have not been able to ride this bike as much as planned. The bike has never seen road salt. The battery has less than 20 charging cycles.

Details:
• Regenerative Breaking
• Big-O Fenders
• Ergon Cork grips
• Thudbuster seatpost
• Rear rack for panniers
• Nice platform pedals

Great build!
Shame that you have to sell it.

Nicely done, your CA3 should be reading 0w at rest however. Not a deal breaker but it can be adjusted, look it up.

Good luck with the sale.

I think the wattage display is from the head/tail lights that I had activated during the photos. But will verify the next time I plug in the battery. Thanks for the heads up!

I think the wattage display is from the head/tail lights that I had activated during the photos. But will verify the next time I plug in the battery. Thanks for the heads up!

That would have that effect.

I am thinking about switching my son's wheel chair attachment to the TCDM, which is a BBS01 now, over to one because it would add front end weight for traction he is missing currently and provide enough gearing for his needs I think? Looks like a grip shifter? I try to get over to Grin when I go to visit my son in Vancouver I'll have to look into it, thanks for the reminder!

Overall a very nice machine. The controller is fully programmable and can interface to a laptop, lots of eBike nerdery here.
With teenagers keeping me busy, I have not been able to ride this bike as much as planned

Can you elaborate on what kind of pedal assist it is?
Is there a way to wrap the phase runner in some kind of weather proof material?
This is such a unique build. A great long distance commuter.

Details:
• Regenerative Breaking
• Big-O Fenders
• Ergon Cork grips
• Thudbuster seatpost
• Rear rack for panniers
• Nice platform pedals

Hi PatMac,
Great build
Just curious on how you mangage the torque at the dropouts with only the lock washers as I can’t see any torque arms

Hi PatMac,
Great build
Just curious on how you mangage the torque at the dropouts with only the lock washers as I can’t see any torque arms

Hello E-Wheels,

The TCDM motor does not use conventional torque arms. There is a splined fitting on the left side of the motor. The inner spline is attached to the motor. The outer spline engages to the inner spline and has a raised section that fits into the sliding dropouts. This raised section acts as the torque arm.

Best,

PatMac

Hello E-Wheels,

The TCDM motor does not use conventional torque arms. There is a splined fitting on the left side of the motor. The inner spline is attached to the motor. The outer spline engages to the inner spline and has a raised section that fits into the sliding dropouts. This raised section acts as the torque arm.

Best,

PatMac
Hi PatMac,
Thanks for the explanation
Have you ever had the outer spline damage or turn in the dropout due to the motor torque

Can you elaborate on what kind of pedal assist it is?
Is there a way to wrap the phase runner in some kind of weather proof material?
This is such a unique build. A great long distance commuter.

Ravi,

The pedal assist is the standard Grin Technologies Cadence sensor. At around 520 watts the cadence is nicely matched to motor speed.

PatMac
Hi PatMac,
Thanks for the explanation
Have you ever had the outer spline damage or turn in the dropout due to the motor torque

No, the spline assembly is very rugged.

PatMac

Back