Surface 604 Shred vs NCM Moscow Plus

Johnitahoe

I’m looking at picking up my third EBike. I have two mid drives and now want to get a hub drive for people to ride along with me. I’m looking at hub drives because of the lower cost plus the throttle capability. I’ve read/watched the reviews for both the Moscow and the Shred, curious your thoughts on these two bikes. Is there a different bike I should be considering? Would like to bike to be ridden by someone as small as 5’8” but like a larger frame so someone like myself 6’5” could ride it occasionally although it will not be my primary bike. One concern I have is that during the reviews the reviewer is 5’9” and the bikes already look like they are at their max handlebar height/angle and the seat is already at the same levels as the handlebars.

I have had a Shred for 2 months. I have the larger frame. I am 5'11". My wife is 5'8" and loves to ride it.

I just did a mini review of sorts. Search Surface604. The Torque Sensor allows you to set your pace at any speed. Cadence sensors on hub drives tend to bracket your speed. For instance on my cadence sensor hub drive bike my power level 3 tops out at 15 miles per hour so you end up going around that speed in level 3. At power level 2 on my cadence sensor bike I would go around 10 or 11 mph. It was a little annoying when riding with the two bikes together. I rode the bike with the cadence sensor and would constantly start and stop pedalling to sink with my wife on the shred. She would go any speed that she wanted. I mention this because you are talking about riding with mid drive bikes. With or without a torque sensor, mid drive bikes will be less likely to bracket you speed because how the power goes through the chain and what gear you are in. There are a few hub drive bikes out there with torque sensors but not many.

Appreciate your reply. I have the Moscow Plus arriving tomorrow. I was going to have to wait until mid August to get the larger battery pack for the Shred. The price on the Moscow Plus was just too good to pass up. I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs. Thanks, John

Appreciate your reply. I have the Moscow Plus arriving tomorrow. I was going to have to wait until mid August to get the larger battery pack for the Shred. The price on the Moscow Plus was just too good to pass up. I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs. Thanks, John
It is a good price point. Would love to hear how it is once you get it.

Received the Moscow Plus in the 29” and ordered another in the 27.5”. I actually prefer my mid drive bikes but I can’t pass up the price/value of the Moscow Plus. My mid drive cost $3K and the Moscow Plus is about $1.5K. I have extra bikes so when someone visits me they can ride along. I’m near the maximum weight for the Moscow....same with the Shred so your mileage may vary. Moscow seems well thought out to me. I like the walk mode, hand grips are comfortable. Smooth shifting, on the back cassette I usually put the chain in a middle gear and then just adjust the front sprocket for hills. I know some Ebikes have done away with the front sprocket, but I still like it especially for riding hills. The 29” tires are well selected, I like the traction areas plus the center bead.

Back