sure looks like a scam bike to me on indiegogo

The 100 mile range some have commented on is perfectly realistic. Let me explain: I got a 500W Rattan X from Indiegogo. This was in Jan 2020. Is has the exact same battery size as the Rocket eBike – 48V 15 Ah battery. It has regenerative braking, just as Rocket eBike.

I’m getting a 100 mile range on my Rattan X. I’m just under 175 lbs for the record. If I can get a 100 mile range on my Rattan, X, I’m sure I can get 100 miles on a Rocket eBike as well. Please quit the BS that the 100 mile range is unrealistic.
Ok, but how much extra work do you have to do in order to get the 100 mile range? The regen works by taking some of your coasting momentum, or by taking your pedaling output if you're pedaling past the point of motor assist. Sure, you get longer range, but you end up doing a lot more work for it. In the end it's not really different to riding a non-regen electric bike and just turning the assist down or pedaling it with the motor off periodically.

I like the idea of regen but my opinion is that most ebikes just aren't heavy enough for it to be practical. It works great on electric motorcycles because they are heavy and the regen capability is in the brakes, instead of the motor. That way they can still coast efficiently, and the regen only kicks in when you actually want to slow down.

Source: I reviewed the Rattan Fat Bear Plus: https://electricbikereview.com/rattan/fat-bear-plus/

Ok, but how much extra work do you have to do in order to get the 100 mile range? The regen works by taking some of your coasting momentum, or by taking your pedaling output if you're pedaling past the point of motor assist. Sure, you get longer range, but you end up doing a lot more work for it. In the end it's not really different to riding a non-regen electric bike and just turning the assist down or pedaling it with the motor off periodically.

I like the idea of regen but my opinion is that most ebikes just aren't heavy enough for it to be practical. It works great on electric motorcycles because they are heavy and the regen capability is in the brakes, instead of the motor. That way they can still coast efficiently, and the regen only kicks in when you actually want to slow down.

Source: I reviewed the Rattan Fat Bear Plus: https://electricbikereview.com/rattan/fat-bear-plus/

I only use pas at low level so I do pedal. Not so much that I get tired. I pedal but I can barely feel any resistance. It feels like you are riding in a downhill all the time even with the lowest level of pas imo. I don't use the throttle. Terrain is mostly flat. Outdoor temperature over 30 celsius, if that matters. I'm 165-175 lbs or 75kg. my wife got just over 100 miles at one time. pas as well. She weight just over 50kg so that explains it though. Rattan are transparent that you get a 100 mile range only with low levels of pas and I'm happy with mine I got from Indiegogo. They say their tech adds 60% to the range. I was a bit sceptical first but decided to give it a try. I would say that the 60% is pretty accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a link of someone else who has even created a blog post about why this bike is an obvious scam: https://rocketebike.blogspot.com/2020/10/indiegogo-scam-dont-lose-your-money.html furthermore, the address for the Secretary George is a rental office space that currently has no renters according to a quick google search, check it out yourself, you can even contact the landlord and inquire about renting space.
the blog Is suspect, the author cites questionable reasons why this is a scam.

however, I question the credibility of the Rocket bike people.

now worth a penny to me.

i,am happy to spend my hard earned money on quality products, qualified customer service and knowledgeable dealers and manufacturers

Last edited:
My rules and requirements for me to "mail order":

1. Seller must be a credit card merchant.
That's someone that can process Visa/Mastercard directly with their terminal. When someone can only accept via 3rd party methods (including bigshot Paypal), it's because they have been DENIED a merchant application for good reasons. I know what has to be done to gain this, as I myself am a credit card merchant. If I were to do something bad with it, I will be punished when Visa puts me in jail, puts a lien on my assets to refund victims' chargebacks.

2. Seller must have a published physical address.
And better look both believable and impressive on Google Streetview. I'm sure one-man show "entrepreneurs" can do well out of their own homes, but if they are truely that good, they need to get their crap together, apply for a business loan, create jobs, etc. If I want to get involved in a startup, I'll try an IPO on the NYSE instead.

3. Seller must have a published phone number that is answered during posted hours.
I don't trust anyone I can't speak to whenever I want. If they are doing so great with great products, they will certainly pay attention to the people that give them money.

There are a ton of nationwide ebike sellers/distributors that satisfy the above, the remaining rest would be governed by quality control, warranty policy, returns, customer support.

But if someone wants to give their good money away to potentially shady propositions, don't be surprised when something goes wrong. Invite it, and it will happen. There are people still waiting for their promised Noria Kapsul air conditioner after 5 years.

This is also the reason why Local Bike Shops continue to flourish, price whatever they want, and aren't going out of business anytime soon.

I doubt it is a scam; the people who backed this will likely get their bike. It is just another Chinese fat folder, after all. But the claims made are surely oversold and fantasy.
Just an FYI, BUT...

YOU were WRONG. I was RIGHT. Now random strangers are all messaging me saying they should have listened to ME. Kudos for helping the con-artists by disagreeing with me. Hope you are more sceptical in the future so less innocent people get ripped off! Yeah, this may anger you but you should genuinely be angry at yourself, if anyone.

the blog Is suspect, the author cites questionable reasons why this is a scam.

however, I question the credibility of the Rocket bike people.

now worth a penny to me.

i,am happy to spend my hard earned money on quality products, qualified customer service and knowledgeable dealers and manufacturers
my blog is not and never was "suspect". I was 100% correct!

Part of what started me on my journey to a full-suspension ebike was (what I believe) is an Indiegogo scam: The Avarax-e.

Guys, before I did my research, I SO wanted to believe in this... 32.5 pounds, 500 watts, $600 early-adopter price, 65 mile range...

I came really close to pulling the trigger...

But instead, I found EBR, and discovered that nothing about this bike makes sense, even at the $1,200. Just the physics of it seem impossible, let alone the economics. It's also just... weird. I mean, one of the marketing pitches is that it's a 'self-cleaning' e-bike? This is supposed to be something cyclists really want? I couldn't shake the feeling that these people didn't even know anything about bicycles or people who ride them.

They also didn't answer my emails, and the address I found for them was the same as a moving company which was a shakedown scam-- held your stuff hostage for twice the price they promised, etc.

I guess I could thank them for motivating me enough to research and buy a bike that I really like... but I won't.

Indigogo sucks. They prey on the vulnerable. Would love to see them sued into the ground and regulated out of existence.
kickstarter is the same way. but if you complain to any attorney general, they will mail you a form explaining what risks you took and that they won't take any action, whatsoever, as a result.

ya that's what I am thinking but that's still a bit of a scam for the price. they will juts buy a bunch of them from china and send them out. something like 150 for a extra battery man no thanks on that battery (G)
idk if you saw but the backers received NOTHING for their $1k+.

True, not a single bike has been delivered. Limited backer money has been refunded, possibly as a result of lawsuits vs indiegogo itself. There's a BIG facebook group of folks seeking commiseration with one and other in their attempt to recover lost pride, er, money.
Here's the kicker...people continue to subscribe to the con!

Drsn0w sez:
YOU were WRONG. I was RIGHT. Now random strangers are all messaging me saying they should have listened to ME. Kudos for helping the con-artists by disagreeing with me. Hope you are more sceptical in the future so less innocent people get ripped off! Yeah, this may anger you but you should genuinely be angry at yourself, if anyone.
Just a teensy weensy bit over the top. But hey, strut away!

True, not a single bike has been delivered. Limited backer money has been refunded, possibly as a result of lawsuits vs indiegogo itself. There's a BIG facebook group of folks seeking commiseration with one and other in their attempt to recover lost pride, er, money.
Here's the kicker...people continue to subscribe to the con!

Drsn0w sez:
Just a teensy weensy bit over the top. But hey, strut away!
Wow, interesting info that you just provided. Thanks. ANY idea how my title can change from "New Member" to "Active Member" or something else? I think I've earned it, exposing a scam and then following up the year after with proven results? This is just to help people find this page easier via google: #rocketebike #rocket #ebike #indiegogo #kickstarter

Wow, interesting info that you just provided. Thanks. ANY idea how my title can change from "New Member" to "Active Member" or something else? I think I've earned it, exposing a scam and then following up the year after with proven results? This is just to help people find this page easier via google: #rocketebike #rocket #ebike #indiegogo #kickstarter
I just saw your comment at the bottom. Sorry if it was over the top but my biggest pet-peave is literally when people say that the scam I am trying to expose was not the scam that it genuinely was.

Last edited:
its amazing how many ebikes are on that service. its like why what are you getting thats not already out there? I saw one guy trying to sell his stake in a ebike for more then it is selling for directly.

Back