Superdelite5

MD99

Region
New Zealand
City
Canterbury
I see EDEMO have posted a video on YouTube of the new Superdelite5 with 1200 Wh of batteries shown at Eurobike. Details to be officially released this month (October) and available next year.

There is another video of other R&M bikes, with the Superdelite5 starting at 6:45 into the video.

The weight appears to be around 36 kg, depending on the version. From a loaded touring perspective, at least for me, that would exceed my limit.

The weight appears to be around 36 kg, depending on the version. From a loaded touring perspective, at least for me, that would exceed my limit.
That's with a cloth cover for the top battery. no less. I predict that cloth battery cover will be nothing but trouble. Looks great on the showroom floor, tho'.

Hmm not my cup of tea in terms of aesthetics but then they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I just can't look beyond how they've tried to 'hide' the motor in the bottom of the frame like that ... all the Pinion bikes I've seen look svelte so this seems overkill.

It feels they're looking less and less like a traditional bike and more like some sort of futuristic hybrid vehicle ... this would not have looked out of place in the Bladerunner or Total Recall movies from the 90s!

Last edited:
The bike is now live on the R&M websites including full specs and pricing. Available next year.

Weight. There is a 4 kg increase in weight over a similar category Superdelite. Difficult to see where that has gone as the small increase in battery size doesn't really come into the equation, although that built-in lock won't help. I've not checked, but I guess the fork may be a bit more solid as it is built to take ABS as a bolt on. Perhaps like the Delite5 it is built to take different motor options, so that is a likely weight increase. This is NOT a bike you are going to be lifting over fallen trees on a remote trail unless you have a couple of strong mates with you!

Battery cover. The bottom one is a definite improvement. The top one seems like a bit of a disaster really. Around town not an issue but on the trails it seem pretty flimsy. But then I suppose no more flimsy than a set of panniers or framebag, so time will tell. It's probably a better option than using the Powermore, which is even more vulnerable.

Motor cover. Yuk, but as Sam said, to some it will look great. But then flares are the fashion, and how else are they going to be protected! ;). Seriously though, how do you keep the shock shaft and pivots clean, check the sag? I guess the covers could be removed as there seem to be just a few screws holding them on, but I guess they might be hiding other things.

Overall I think it probably capable and perfectly fine on back country roads, 4WD tracks and easy single track. Not sure I'd be hitting a bike park with it, but that is not what it is designed for.

@Aushiker . To a bloke like you, 37 kg is a mere nothing. Well nothing compared to that photo you put up in another thread of your tourer with front panniers, rear panniers and towing an Extrawheel with another 2 panniers! I must admit I looked at that and stared in wonderment realising I'm a total woose!

Not a fan of the aesthetics on the new model. It looks too "heavy" and busy to my eye overall. OMG what is with that top battery cover! Like @MD99 I am struggling to see where and why regarding the weight increase. Two of those and an e-bike carrier is going to push many towbar limits.

The Homage5, on the other hand, looks ok with the motor cover for some reason, and the Fox + Pinion (when it gets down this far south) would make it a worthwhile upgrade for my wife's 2020 Homage. On the negative side, its weight is up too.

It looks like my Mountain is (happily) with me for another upgrade cycle.

Back