Superdelite purchase

CyclingDan

Region
USA
Hello,
As a retirement gift to myself I’m looking at getting a Superdelite. Been mainly stationary training on my Kieser the past decade (wore out two other stationary bikes before that!) and now will have the time to do more outdoor riding. In terms of e-bikes I‘m not finding another as versatile, I like the cable containment, plus I’ve been wanting a hub/belt forever.

Anyhow the price is obnoxious but oh well - the world has gone crazy and thinks everything is suddenly worth $$ more. On the other hand it does come with basically everything I’d outfit anyhow. Couple questions if anybody knows …

• Pricing: List or do dealers discount? I’d expect demand to be softening this year but don’t know if that would come through. What extra fees to they tack on, like shipping?
  • Updates I’m not in a rush, researching around it looks like Bosch is coming out with
    • ABS system (rumors of being released this year in the US)
    • Anti-theft system (not as important to me as I won’t leave it unattended, but sure why not?)
  • Fox suspension: Appears to be one of those expensive upgrades for micro incremental improvements - I doubt I’d notice. But wondering what people think about it
  • Front carrier bag - any reason to get the R&M bag? I’m not up on bags and such but I’ll need to get some.
  • Light: Is it true that the light button just changes from full to down light, and you have to turn the light on via some switch on the cockpit?
  • Bell: It comes with an old time ding-bell? I thought I saw a version with a horn, not sure about this.
Thanks -

In answer to your questions based on my experience in the UK
1. I paid full list price but there was no additional charges
2. I recall ABS being on some R&M bikes but it restricts models and options. I had no real interest in this. On my Kioxx system I paid for the security option on the app that disables the bike without the display. The lock also has a siren built in.
3. I really like the Fox suspension upgrade and I would urge you to get this, it really hugs the road over bumps around bends.
4. I bought there front carrier but almost never have a bag on it.
5. The HS versions have a headlight permanently on and there is a button to change between high and low beam.
6. My HS version came with an electric horn

I really love mine and I have never had something soak up the miles like that bike.

I've been following this forum for years now and can tell you R&M has ALWAYS charged a high premium for their heavy-set and built ebikes. They do have their enthusiastic following. But do check the Riese and Muller threads within this forum to get a better all-around snap shot of the brand and the ownership experience.

Have you considered the Zen brand ebike, designed and built in Canada by long time friend to EBR, Ravi Kempaiah and his team? Their Samurai ebike is the equal to the R&M, with an option to build out your bike with premium components by Kindernay, Supernova, Kinekt. And you won't be getting the "Germanic Post-Sale Attitude" that I recall reading in a few R&M ownership experiences over the years (though to be fair, customers do get taken care of at the local dealership level).

A link to the Zen page: https://zenebikes.com/samurai-customize

Have you considered the Zen brand ebike...
The SuperDelite is a full suspension road/gravel bike with a rear rack. I don't think anyone else makes anything like it.
Having ridden both full suspension bikes (including a SF test ride on a SuperDelite) and hardtails with Kinect suspension seatposts, there's nothing like a full suspension bike for comfort and road hugging.

• Pricing: List or do dealers discount? I’d expect demand to be softening this year but don’t know if that would come through. What extra fees to they tack on, like shipping? Depends if it's a special order bike or in stock at least at our shop. The last Superdelite I sold was from our available inventory in store so I knocked some bucks off
  • UpdatesI’m not in a rush, researching around it looks like Bosch is coming out with
    • ABS system (rumors of being released this year in the US) don't hold your breath on that one
    • Anti-theft system (not as important to me as I won’t leave it unattended, but sure why not?) You can "lock" the bike in the Bosch app, or you can just remove the display which makes it impossible to turn the bike on, don't forget to use the included folding lock to lock the bike to something
  • Fox suspension: Appears to be one of those expensive upgrades for micro incremental improvements - I doubt I’d notice. But wondering what people think about it Most of the SD's I've sold are "box checkers" what I mean by that is, Rohloff, High Speed, GX/Fox, etc. Most folks it's a bucket list bike that they've graduated to from something else
  • Front carrier bag - any reason to get the R&M bag? I’m not up on bags and such but I’ll need to get some. I've started stocking the front carrier, bag, and light extension cable so folks can decide once the bike gets in. Important that the front light needs to be moved to the front of the carrier so it isn't blocked when you use the front carrier. I advise most to use the rear carrier as it's more stable to carry things than the front carrier. That said it's all personal preference. If you get the carrier the R&M bag makes a ton of sense, get that too as it's made for that rack
  • Light: Is it true that the light button just changes from full to down light, and you have to turn the light on via some switch on the cockpit? You can turn the lights completely on or off via the display unit, when the lights are on you've got a brake light activated by the brake levers (on HS bikes) and a high/low beam too
  • Bell: It comes with an old time ding-bell? I thought I saw a version with a horn, not sure about this. HS bikes have a horn, class 1 have a bell I believe
Hope that info helps, otherwise feel free to DM me or call the shop!!

Have you considered the Zen brand ebike, designed and built in Canada by long time friend to EBR, Ravi Kempaiah and his team? Their Samurai ebike is the equal to the R&M, with an option to build out your bike with premium components by Kindernay, Supernova, Kinekt. And you won't be getting the "Germanic Post-Sale Attitude" that I recall reading in a few R&M ownership experiences over the years (though to be fair, customers do get taken care of at the local dealership level).

A link to the Zen page: https://zenebikes.com/samurai-customize
Thanks for pointing that out - I appreciate any links to other options. In this case unfortunately it’s similar to what I’ve seen with other bikes which is the integration and options just aren’t as good. Namely the second battery is a piggyback and I don’t see a Rohloff option. Call my foolish but I want a bike that looks as good as it rides so the batteries need to be integrated, and I‘ve been wanting the Rohloff for years - also it’s not full suspension which I’d like. Spiffy looking bike otherwise and I like the price.

But yeah, while I’d like to not get the R&M because of the nosebleed pricing, being an engineer I appreciate the design and engineering that went into this one, would be nice if somebody made a similar design for a better price, and with paint options!

3. I really like the Fox suspension upgrade and I would urge you to get this, it really hugs the road over bumps around bends.
Lll
I really love mine and I have never had something soak up the miles like that bike.
Thanks Lumos - two things that jump out for me. Safety is a priority with me, so anything that helps with that, I’ll take a close look at the Fox upgrade. Otherwise sounds like the Bosch upgrades are not worth waiting for.

Thanks everybody else, appreciate the posts.

Last edited:
In early 2020, I had the same idea for a retirement “gift” - Superdelite GT Rohloff with Fox Float and Kiox Cockpit. This was in the early days of Covid and my purchase was made “online” and involved phone discussions with the bike shop.
The Superdelite is a wonderful bike and you will love it. Yes there may be other e-bikes but for me at the time it was the one I wanted. I had come from a light weight Cannondale hybrid bike and I will say the Superdelite is a heavy bike but it rides sooo well! I have put 16,000 km on the bike since I received it. The weight is a challenge if you want to put it on a vehicle bike rack (rack needs to be able to handle the weight - particularly if you have 2 e-bikes.

1. My bike had to be ordered from Germany so there was no negotiating price - shipping was free and I just had to pay sales tax.
2. No ABS was offered at the time but I have purchased the ‘lock‘ feature with the Kiox - the Abus lock is still needed if left unattended.
3. The Fox suspension is wonderful, but I cannot tell you how it compares with the standard suspension.
4. I did not get the front rack - the rear is all I need. I did purchase a bag for the rack. With the rear suspension, the rear rack never moves which is an awesome feature of the Superdelite.
5. For my bike, the light on/off is controlled through the Kiox display. There is also a high beam/low beam button. I always have the light on since there is a rear brake light that only operates when the front light is on. The rear light is also on when the front light is on. This makes you very visible on the road/trail.
6. A simple bell was supplied with the bike. The horn is only on the high speed version of the bike.
Another point to consider is closeness to R&M service shop - if you can perform some repair this may not be important.

I have ridden both R&M with standard Suntour and Fox, and Fox is more than an incremental improvement. I don't think I will ever get a non R&M bike without Fox - well I probably will with the Homage my next purchase which I will add Fox post factory. Off road they are night and day. On road the difference is smaller but noticeable enough to warrant the upgrade.

Single in built battery and as expensive, but good alternative.

Do you mean Suntour?
Sorry, I meant Fox is a substantial improvement over Suntour - hope that makes it clear.

A closer look on the Nicolai site will show higher quality components than provided by R&M at a comparable price. Take the Hope cranks, something I changed to on my R&M aftermarket (to the Hope 155mm cranks). Don't get me wrong, I love my Superdelite Mountain and could not be happier. But there are other options out there these days.

Got it.

Well I’m a newb when it comes to components, but those can be upgraded later, but you can‘t upgrade the bones and the Superdelite is dual battery. Not sure the Nicolai is truly comparable price since it’s single? No matter …

Anyhow thanks for the link, as mentioned I’d love to find a built in dual battery alternative but not finding one - surprising maybe nobody has done a knock off design.

One of the things that set the Delite apart for me was not just a rear rack, but a suspended rear rack. My butt appreciates the suspension, and my camera and computer appreciate the suspended rear rack. Less unsprung weight probably helps with the handling of the bike too. As far as I know, nobody else offers this (as always, I Could Be Wrong). The rack is also natively MIK compatible. MIK is a fast, clip-on clip-off bag mounting system that I really like. I have a pair of Basil panniers with MIK, and it makes it very easy and fast to take them or leave them. Very secure mounting, too.

The front bag is handy for stashing my cell phone and garage clicker in. I use the two zip pockets for that. I can throw my lock or whatever else inside the main bag compartment if I need to.

If you order one, there probably won't be a discount. If you find one in stock that happens to be just what you want, they may discount it. In my case, I figured that with the amount of money I'm spending, getting *exactly* what I wanted was more important than saving a few hundred bucks. Nobody seems to stock the largest frame size in stock anyway :-( (I'm 6'4" / 193cm).

my camera and computer appreciate the suspended rear rack
Funny i was thinking the same thing, planning on bringing my expensive camera gear along and would rather not have it bouncing

Otherwise I’m 6’3’ 1/2 - so this is a good bike for taller guys? Haven’t had a chance for a test ride yet, but it would be the largest frame size for me?

I must have missed it when I was shopping around. I saw 1 or 2 of theirs with rear racks, but not fully-suspended ebikes with frame-mounted rear racks. I still don't see one on their site, but maybe they don't offer that in the US?
Available in selected European countries only. The name is Stormguard E+ and the e-bike is ugly compared to Superdelite! Not advocating for Giant! :)
I'm very glad when the people I like have bought a good thing such as a Superdelite!

Back