Superdelite front wheel quick release axel

eaphoto1988

Region
United Kingdom
Hi all. Before my 1500km trip I tried to learn about my superdelite as much as possible. I was told many things by fully charged (company that I bought it through). For example, I am not allowed to change my own tires even if I have a flat one during my trip (need to walk it to the nearest service), I am not allowed to change carbon fiber belt or to even have a spare one (R&M will only send one if I have proof that it snapped) etc. Had many issues with my front guard from the day I bought the bicycle. Numerous times I have asked them to fix the problem of it getting stuck if I get on a bumpy road and then damaging my tire until I stop and push it back up. So for my long trip I took the front mud guard off since with extra added weight it was even worse. But I could not take it off easy... Front wheel quick release axel just does not come off at all. Back wheel is different design and have no issues. This one I can undo it by loosening from the other end, then instead of being able to pull it away, all I can do is undo the thread. After it reaches the end, nothing happens because the frame is keeping everything secure and 0 give no matter what I do. I won't go back to them just to be told I am not allowed to take the wheel off, but there must be something I am missing here... Anyone had this problem before? Would also help me in the future if I do get a flat tire and need to change inner tube. In the photos I took you can see starting point and what it looks like after I undo the thread

Attachments

• DSC_1642.JPG
    DSC_1642.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_1644.JPG
    DSC_1644.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_1645.JPG
    DSC_1645.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_1646.JPG
    DSC_1646.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 159
Hi all. Before my 1500km trip I tried to learn about my superdelite as much as possible. I was told many things by fully charged (company that I bought it through). For example, I am not allowed to change my own tires even if I have a flat one during my trip (need to walk it to the nearest service), I am not allowed to change carbon fiber belt or to even have a spare one (R&M will only send one if I have proof that it snapped) etc. Had many issues with my front guard from the day I bought the bicycle. Numerous times I have asked them to fix the problem of it getting stuck if I get on a bumpy road and then damaging my tire until I stop and push it back up. So for my long trip I took the front mud guard off since with extra added weight it was even worse. But I could not take it off easy... Front wheel quick release axel just does not come off at all. Back wheel is different design and have no issues. This one I can undo it by loosening from the other end, then instead of being able to pull it away, all I can do is undo the thread. After it reaches the end, nothing happens because the frame is keeping everything secure and 0 give no matter what I do. I won't go back to them just to be told I am not allowed to take the wheel off, but there must be something I am missing here... Anyone had this problem before? Would also help me in the future if I do get a flat tire and need to change inner tube. In the photos I took you can see starting point and what it looks like after I undo the thread
your saying the axle wont pull out when its loose? is there weight on the bike when your doing this?

For example, I am not allowed to change my own tires even if I have a flat one during my trip (need to walk it to the nearest service)
That cannot be true! That simply cannot be true!
Even the most restrictive proprietary companies cannot demand that!

Front wheel quick release axel just does not come off at all.
Your e-bike seems to be equipped with the most modern thru-axle equipped with a quick-release lever. Chances are someone tightened it too strongly. If you have not mismatched the release direction (anti-clockwise), just put a piece of a tube onto the QR lever and pull it. The thru-axle should never be removed by acting on it from the other end.

Front wheel quick release axel just does not come off at all. Back wheel is different design and have no issues. This one I can undo it by loosening from the other end, then instead of being able to pull it away, all I can do is undo the thread.
Hard to know exactly what you're saying here, but I'm guessing:
1) Front axle screws into threads inside the axle hole of the fork.
2) Rear axles has a separate nut into which the axle threads.

The procedure for removing the front axle is to loosen the lever, then rotate anti-clockwise to unthread it, then it should slide out.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to be more descriptive about what's going on for us to help you.

I meant replacing the tyres. Bullshit.

But, it does actually say that in the manual, even the the US:

Check the air pressure once a month using an air pump with gauge. You will find the minimumand maximum pressure on the sidewall of the tires (see section 5.5 on page 26. The air pressurein the tire must be greater than the minimum value and not exceed the maximum value.Check the tires for wear, tear or damage and true running. A worn tire will provide less tractionon wet or dirty ground. It is also less puncture resistant. Only your authorized dealer may change the tires.
bolding added.

Whether this runs afoul of the US's "Right To Repair" laws is another question.

Based on how unscrewing it seems to be pushing the fork apart, it seems like the axle is stuck in the bearings. If I were you I'd thread it back in by just one or two threads, and then give the thread side of the fork a very light tap with a mallet. It's probably just crusty dirt that will pop loose easily.

Which model Sueprdelite do you have, Touring, Vario, or Rohloff?

R&M has some particular things in their manual but the general consensus is correct, you're welcome to work on your own stuff. That phrase is likely intended for warranty work which an authorized dealer must perform.

The front thru axle simply unscrews from the fork once the QR lever is released

I have had issues removing the front Quick Lock axle bolt in the past on my Nevo3.

Once undone, if stuck, I use a socket extension bar and a soft headed mallet to start to get it to move, which usually does the trick then pull it through.

When reassembling, give everything a good clean, then add some saddle stem grease to all the surfaces, including the holes in the forks. This will help to remove it in the future.

DG…

I have had issues removing the front Quick Lock axle bolt in the past on my Nevo3.

Once undone, if stuck, I use a socket extension bar and a soft headed mallet to start to get it to move, which usually does the trick then pull it through.

When reassembling, give everything a good clean, then add some saddle stem grease to all the surfaces, including the holes in the forks. This will help to remove it in the future.

DG…
Hi, for some reason I did not get any notification that I had replies, so I have booked a golden service for my mudguard replacement (broke it while trying to put it myself without taking the front wheel off :D) So I will ask them to show me how they take it off. I did try to tap it a bit, but was too afraid to brake something. Thank you for you comment, seams I am not the only one that has this issue with front axel...

your saying the axle wont pull out when its loose? is there weight on the bike when your doing this?
Done everything by now apart tapping with a mullet - was too afraid I bent something. Booked a service end of the month and I will see what they say about it. Should not be that hard to take it... I mean it is called quick release :D But yeah, tried bicycle upside down, tried somebody holding front end up to release any pleasure - no result

I meant replacing the tyres. Bullshit.
Yep, I was shocked while hearing all of what I can't do. I get the warranty part but I would think this is for more deep modifications etc. That is why they don't have how to explanations on their website and only one guy on YouTube has some videos that were helpful. I remember when I changed my seat and had sooooo many hours spent on it :D There was this spring attachment I was not aware off and it came off. Since I have a leaver to push it down or up (nice feature) they were shocked when I told them I replaced it myself. They said I should bring it to them with the seat for replacement in the future. Funny part is that I fixed the mechanism by re-doing it myself. The first free service they did made the seat lock up and on my ride back home it almost made me crash into a car, because I let the seat down to stop and wait but when I saw an opening thought my seat is all the way up, but it was not and lost my balance going straight to the middle of the road. Second time it just went by itself while cycling and scared the s*it out of me. But again, I am not allowed to fix it... Just like they did not really apologise for the fact that I had to re-adjust my front and back brakes after golden service. Had to emergency stop and almost went over the front of the bicycle because they made the front brake super sensitive and the back ones barely doing anything. This is even with ABS! When I told them I had to take the back wheel and adjust the brake pads, they were also not impressed because I was not allowed to do that. R&M made sure that carbon belt system is super hard to replace or take off.

Hard to know exactly what you're saying here, but I'm guessing:
1) Front axle screws into threads inside the axle hole of the fork.
2) Rear axles has a separate nut into which the axle threads.

The procedure for removing the front axle is to loosen the lever, then rotate anti-clockwise to unthread it, then it should slide out.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to be more descriptive about what's going on for us to help you.
Thank you for the help but since google did not send notifications, I though nobody replied to my thread and I have booked a service. I will ask them to show me how they undo the front axel and inspect if I have something wrong or maybe it is just stuck. It could also be that they don't want anybody to take the wheels off by themselves so they have a special way to do it and refuse to show me... They done that on multiple areas of the bike where they just say it is for the service guys to know only. Was not aware I was getting an apple product...

maybe they mean change what tire you use rather then changing a flat.
Nope, he is totally right - any work you do yourself may cost you a fortune if you have something go bad with the gears or the motor. If they see or know you took something off or added, goes on the paperwork and they will charge you full price even though you have warranty by them on those most expensive part on the ebike. They don't want to show or give tips how to and that is the system you buy into by the looks of it. Since I had many reasons to go back to the service, seen many people come in for simple things. Would be not a big issue if I would not live 1 hour and 30 min cycling away from them and had to cycle into central London from the outer London...

Thank you for the help but since google did not send notifications, I though nobody replied to my thread and I have booked a service. I will ask them to show me how they undo the front axel and inspect if I have something wrong or maybe it is just stuck. It could also be that they don't want anybody to take the wheels off by themselves so they have a special way to do it and refuse to show me... They done that on multiple areas of the bike where they just say it is for the service guys to know only. Was not aware I was getting an apple product...
Which front fork do you have? If it's a Suntour, that's your problem.

Back