SuperCommuter Mods

GuruUno

Some pics of the subtle mods I've made. (After 13 months of ownership)
AirZound air horn
Bodyfloat Suspension Seatpost
Hebie Kickstand 665 eFIX18- KSA18
RedShift ShockStop Stem on Super Commuter +8S w/Ritchey Supernova M99 Mount
Ritchey Supernova C220/4-Axis 44 Bicycle Stem Face Plate Light Mount
Thule EasyFold XT 2 E-Bike Rack
Top View of Handlebars showing Lumos Helmet L/R Blinker Pad, AirZound Trigger, iPhone Mount
These mods have made my ride so much more enjoyable

Attachments

• Air Zound.JPG
    Air Zound.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,658
  • BodyFloat 1.JPG
    BodyFloat 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,605
  • BodyFloat 2.JPG
    BodyFloat 2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,558
  • Facing Head On-Rack.JPG
    Facing Head On-Rack.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,517
  • Hebie Kickstand 665 eFIX18- KSA18 .JPG
    Hebie Kickstand 665 eFIX18- KSA18 .JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1,687
  • RedShift ShockStop Stem on Super Commuter +8S w:Ritched Supernova M99 Mount.JPG
    RedShift ShockStop Stem on Super Commuter +8S w:Ritched Supernova M99 Mount.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,815
  • Ritchey Supernova C220:4-Axis 44 Bicycle Stem Face Plate Light Mount.JPG
    Ritchey Supernova C220:4-Axis 44 Bicycle Stem Face Plate Light Mount.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,791
  • Thule EasyFold XT 2 (903202) Folded Down 1.JPG
    Thule EasyFold XT 2 (903202) Folded Down 1.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 1,504
  • Thule EasyFold XT 2 (903202) Folded Down 2.JPG
    Thule EasyFold XT 2 (903202) Folded Down 2.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,388
  • Thule EasyFold XT 2 (903202) Folded Down 3.JPG
    Thule EasyFold XT 2 (903202) Folded Down 3.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,531
  • Thule Rack 2.JPG
    Thule Rack 2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,457
  • Thule Rack 3.JPG
    Thule Rack 3.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,789
  • Thule Rack-1.JPG
    Thule Rack-1.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,573
Last edited:
RedShift ShockStop Stem on Super Commuter +8S is the way to go for this bike. When I rode it, this was the first upgrade that came to mind being you have a CF stock fork.

Very nice set up on your Super Commuter. Its a great bike. What is your opinion on the Body Float, and also are you satisfied with the Thule bike rack. I have two Ebikes that weigh about 58 lbs. each and have some back problems so the idea of having a ramp interests me. Also a ramp would potentially allow my wife and daughter to use the rack.

Body Float is a must. Makes a world of difference.
Re: Thule rack, best rack ever, but I never use the ramp, just lift the bikes, I still can.
However anyone using the ramp, it's a balancing act, hanging on to the bike while "walking" the bike up the ramp, a tedious effort, hence I just lift it.

How often have you used the airzound? Did it make people pissed off with the loudness? Just curious since I am about to install one on my ebike.

It's the ONLY answer.
Given people walk with earphones/iPods, music, given that they are 2-3-4 abreast and "clog" the bike paths, given that the other 'horns' that 'chirp' make people look up in the trees to see if it's a bird, given that windows are rolled up at an intersection and the driver is ignorant, the AirZound is the ONLY horn I'd EVER use.
Actually, if I could, I would, I'd consider this:

Hey GuruUno - Just bought my 8s and I'm looking to do several of the mods you've made. Perhaps you could answer a couple questions for me? Which length seat post did you get? Which length RedShift? I'm not a bike mechanic and don't want to kill myself, so how difficult was the install of the RedShift? Could you mount the headlight directly to it or was the additional mount needed? Lastly - which phone mount are you using?
Thanks so much for your help! Great looking setup!

Last edited:
Nice looking bike, I should have ordered the Ritchey Supernova mount like you did. I ended up purchasing the ProMax stem direct from SuperNova. How do you like the Shock Stop stem? I have one installed on my Haibike Trekking, but it's virtually transparent in feel until you ride for an hour without it.

Nice looking bike, I should have ordered the Ritchey Supernova mount like you did. I ended up purchasing the ProMax stem direct from SuperNova. How do you like the Shock Stop stem? I have one installed on my Haibike Trekking, but it's virtually transparent in feel until you ride for an hour without it.

Pro max...? What’s that?
Agreed. My wrists thank me. I thought it was minimal but agree give it time.....then you acknowledge it’s presence

OK - figured out and purchased the light mount.

Still trying to decide on seat post and stem length.

Hopefully all the parts are in by Friday so my lbs can do it in one shot.

Edit: seat post is 330mm on large per Trek.

Last edited:
Hope GuruUno doesn't feel I'm hijacking his thread here, but I've completed a number of the mods he made, so his pictures show the basics of what I've done, as well.

I'm looking to do a couple of other additions and I'll add photos once those are complete.

Need wider pedals - platform only, don't like to clip in. Looking at Crank Bros Stamp models.

I bought Bontrager pannier bags, but I would like a trunk. That poses some challenges given the stock rack setup. Ortlieb makes a rack-agnostic line that snap to the rails. However, the mechanism used may not work for the 8s given the height of the fender between the pannier rails.

Finally, I'd like to see some alternative tires - tubeless? And something that will offer more traction in the winter.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Just updating: bought Shimano XT platforms. So much nicer. The Kinect makes a world of difference, too. Best mod you can make on this bad boy. Truly incredible.

Also got - finally - my ShockStem. Mine took a bit longer because I bought the 100mm with 30% rise. Hopefully I'll have it installed, along with barends, on Wednesday.
375 miles on the bike.

Apologize for the delay, was on a road trip.
I also put the Shimano XT platforms on when I did all the other items at my 3,000 mi. (at 3,850 as of today) 'tune-up'.
New cassette, new chain, new brake pads, ABUS frame lock.
I have been looking for a solution for the trunk bag, found none, have you?
Help me a bit, the 100mm/30% rise ShockStem, does that bring the handlebars closer to you with a more 'hybrid' type ride?
Any pics yet?

Both up and back. Looks to be (putting the stems side-by-side) about an inch rise and half inch closer. BTW - they have some in stock that have cosmetic flaws but are new for 20% off.

I've not found a trunk that isn't a kludge job.

I'll take a few shots after my visit to the lbs on Wednesday.

Come to find out the handlebar clamp is much wider on my stem than the adapter is. Waiting for RedShift to get back to me on actual sizing.

Unless I can find someone who can custom build one, looks like I'm stuck.

Update - neither I nor my tech saw that the mount is adjustable. Should be done tomorrow.(Sigh)

Last edited:
With the exception of a rear rack - which we're working on - Big Red is done!
Many thanks to GuruUno for his suggestions and help.

which topeak bag is that what size? haven't been able to find a bag that works with the bodyfloat.
Thanks

Back