Supercommuter+ 8S Recall, Front Fender Bolt, $100 Reward for Bringing Bike In

chriskmee

FYI to Supercommuter 8 owners, there is a safety recall in place. Luckily it's a quick and easy fix.
If the wrong bolt that holds the front fender to the fork crown is installed during assembly, the bolt can unthread and the fender can fall on the front wheel. If this happens, the bike can stop suddenly, and the rider could be involved in a serious accident.
In addition, when you bring in your Super Commuter+ 8S for inspection, Trek will give you an in-store credit of $100 to use toward any Trek or Bontrager merchandise

Full recall notice

Brought mine in and asked the dealer. They said it was between Trek and me. Called Trek and the mumble-mouth that took the call eventually told me I needed to talk to the dealer. Took me 10 more minutes to get him to call the dealer. I'll call them tomorrow. Poorly orchestrated.

Brought mine in and asked the dealer. They said it was between Trek and me. Called Trek and the mumble-mouth that took the call eventually told me I needed to talk to the dealer. Took me 10 more minutes to get him to call the dealer. I'll call them tomorrow. Poorly orchestrated.
Find a better dealer. Sounds like a loser. You don’t need them.

I live in Paradise. My choices, within reasonable driving distance, are limited. The only other Trek dealer is not setup to service e-bikes.

Ended up calling Trek again. Got an actual human who understood what was going on. My dealer had not returned my four phone calls. Over $100 that Trek was giving him. Despite me buying 4 bikes from him including the 8S. Trek told me he would be calling and, while sounding less than happy, he finally did.
The irony of the situation is that I really only wanted the credit to buy a new sweatshirt that basically advertised the dealer! I'd purchased one 5 years ago and it was falling apart but was a quality product.
Found out in the meantime that the other dealer in town was now e-bike certified. Guess I know where I'll be going.

For whatever reason, the dealer did not report the fix to Trek. Trek explained to me that the dealer is paid for the warranty work by Trek and in order to get those funds, and in this case, the credit, they must submit the work with my serial number. Why they didn't have that, I don't know. They sold it, have updated it (both hardware and software) since new. I'm certain the Bosch software requires them to enter or, more likely, gets the serial number from the bike.
My personal guess is there's some confusion on the business end and the delay in getting the credit was due to that. I've always been happy with the service, which is why I didn't mention their name.
Despite what I said before, I believe in 2nd (sometimes 3rd) chances, so I'll keep going there.

Back