? Suggestions/Referrals for Foldable Ebike with following features ?

ebike Richard

My foldable ebike will be mainly for street use, including hills.
Will be used primarily for exploring and recreational use in foreign travel.
I am a male, 5’ 7”, and weigh 150 pounds.
My budget is $2,000 but have some flexibility.

There are many mass-produced foldable ebikes to choose from on the market. This ebike could either be built from scratch, or modified from such a commercially-made foldable ebike. The regen braking system is an important feature for me, as well as the PAS system, and throttle.

I’m flexible about details such as the size and specs of the motor and battery, but incorporating as many as the following features would be more of a priority – listed in order of importance:

• ~5-level PAS system
• Has a throttle
• ~4-level regen braking system (focussing on its braking capabilities, not on its generating electricity capabilities)
• Comfortable, smooth ride - won’t feel every bump on the road
• Shifter shifts quickly, easily and is simple to use - I favor the Shimano Tourney Shift Lever SL-TX50 (shifts either 6 or 7 gears) or some similar-type shifter
• Gears: lowest gear is quite low; and the highest gear is quite high: would like to climb steep hills with less strain on battery and like to pedal slowly when on the flats. The actual number of gears isn’t that important.
• Durable / Low-maintenance: I’m not much of a fix-it guy and in many foreign countries it’s hard to get repair help for ebikes, in addition to dealing with the language barrier
• Ebike is lightweight or at least on the lighter side
• Electric horn wired into the electrical system of the ebike - loud motorcycle-type horn beep, not a warbling-type sound
• Folds up easily and well (I’ll be travelling overseas so it will be opened & folded up a lot)
• Electric turn signals, front and rear, wired into the electrical system of the ebike
• Difficult one (only if possible): The ebike is easily transportable on planes and its battery is able to pass airport security

Thanks!

@ebike Richard
sipkkctvu269.jpg

you can have a look here and see if you like anything : https://electricbikereview.com/category/folding/

Been doing a ton a research on folding bikes this past three months. Different application using on a sailboat, needs to be small but have many of your requirements since it will be a mode of transportation. After hours of research and test riding way to many bikes my bikes of choice would be the ejoe epic se ,the blix vika + or the magnum Premium. I prefer the down tube battery and at 13 ah the ejoe is our first choice. Check it out and the others and please keep me posted to what you find. In a perfect world that ejoe would come as a 16" foldable not the 20" so that it would be more compact.

My foldable ebike will be mainly for street use, including hills.
Will be used primarily for exploring and recreational use in foreign travel.
I am a male, 5’ 7”, and weigh 150 pounds.
My budget is $2,000 but have some flexibility.

There are many mass-produced foldable ebikes to choose from on the market. This ebike could either be built from scratch, or modified from such a commercially-made foldable ebike. The regen braking system is an important feature for me, as well as the PAS system, and throttle.

I’m flexible about details such as the size and specs of the motor and battery, but incorporating as many as the following features would be more of a priority – listed in order of importance:

• ~5-level PAS system
• Has a throttle
• ~4-level regen braking system (focussing on its braking capabilities, not on its generating electricity capabilities)
• Comfortable, smooth ride - won’t feel every bump on the road
• Shifter shifts quickly, easily and is simple to use - I favor the Shimano Tourney Shift Lever SL-TX50 (shifts either 6 or 7 gears) or some similar-type shifter
• Gears: lowest gear is quite low; and the highest gear is quite high: would like to climb steep hills with less strain on battery and like to pedal slowly when on the flats. The actual number of gears isn’t that important.
• Durable / Low-maintenance: I’m not much of a fix-it guy and in many foreign countries it’s hard to get repair help for ebikes, in addition to dealing with the language barrier
• Ebike is lightweight or at least on the lighter side
• Electric horn wired into the electrical system of the ebike - loud motorcycle-type horn beep, not a warbling-type sound
• Folds up easily and well (I’ll be travelling overseas so it will be opened & folded up a lot)
• Electric turn signals, front and rear, wired into the electrical system of the ebike
• Difficult one (only if possible): The ebike is easily transportable on planes and its battery is able to pass airport security

Thanks!
I am new to the ebike world. I am buying 2 of Green Bike USA's G5 500 models. These are the better of many I checked out and their dealers' and builders' reps are very helpful. The 500 watt 48 volt 13.5 amp hour version I am getting should work for my wife and I in Atlanta. Check these out and maybe this group will actually do a review of the new model 500 for the site some day soon. I will let you all know how I feel after a few weeks of use.

I just got two 2018 ejoe epic se's, now 500 watt motor, 5 levels ped, LCD computer, and 48 volt battery. Pretty nice, a little heavier than 2017 but working on lighting bike up a bit by removing stuff we don't need for our application. Testing the market in our area, we may become a dealer, good support so far.

I just got two 2018 ejoe epic se's, now 500 watt motor, 5 levels ped, LCD computer, and 48 volt battery. Pretty nice, a little heavier than 2017 but working on lighting bike up a bit by removing stuff we don't need for our application. Testing the market in our area, we may become a dealer, good support so far.

where were you able to find the 2018 model? i've only been able to locate the 2017 model, and it sounds like the 2018 is nicely beefed up!

After annaly researching for months, went with Rad Mini. We live on a boat in the summer and folding is essential. I couldn’t be more pleased with it. Comfort, performance, real 20mph+ & real 30+ mile range. Its probably a lot more, but longest ride I’ve done is 32miles. The fat tires and front suspension, make it almost luxurious! One minor gripe, its too low geared with the stock 48T crank, I put a 53T on now much better. Its reliable, well made and the tech support is first class. I got my wife a slightly smaller step through with a different brand. Quite a good bike, but ZERO support from the company.

Attachments

• F65294F2-B08C-4FA4-A123-BEEB57693E23.jpeg
    F65294F2-B08C-4FA4-A123-BEEB57693E23.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 791
e-bike Richard,

You are planning to use the bike, "primarily for exploring and recreational use in foreign travel". So just for your information, the batteries that are supplied with e-bikes are not allowed on any domestic or foreign flights. The are certain limits to Li-ion batteries that are allowed. iPad, phones and small Li-ion backup batteries are OK but not the larger types that are found on an e-bike.

Just googled it and this is what I found:

"Aviation rules say that batteries that are larger than 300WH are ‘dangerous goods’ and can’t be transported by air".

Doubt that even separating the batteries would ensure the bike battery would make it through the airline flight problem. Best solution is most likely to ship a battery to each new location your bike will be arriving at.

You really are an ambitious person!
My pick when it comes to folding e-bikes will be Blix Vika. I think it has most of the features you mentioned but I'm not sure about all of em.

In my opinion, Blix Vika Travel is the best folding e-bike because it's light, easy and doesn't cost that much. My Blix will get up to 20 MPH if I push it, climbs hills well and holds charge for a long time. Plus the service I've received so far has all been outstanding!

Last year I've had surgery on my left foot and couldn't get around on my own. Then I bought a Blix Vika from Amego. They got a few other cool folding bikes too: https://www.amegoev.com/electric-bikes/folding-20/

Doubt that even separating the batteries would ensure the bike battery would make it through the airline flight problem. Best solution is most likely to ship a battery to each new location your bike will be arriving at.

Unless you are hazmat-certified you can't ship a battery.

Bike Friday claims and appears to have solution that lets you fly with their e-bikes. Part of the solution is that their battery pack breaks into smaller modules, each of which is under the FAA limit allowed for carry-on batteries. I recommend you look at their website and watch their videos on the subject before you make a blanket judgement.

Back