Suggestions for mini folding bike

I saw a video on YouTube for a 52v upgrade as well as uncapping the speed to 25mph. BBSHD would be cool too
I’m giving a second look at the Luna folding bike. I bet the rider weight limit is low, but if I lose 20 or so pounds... Owners of that bike claim that the BBSHD would be too powerful. I had a (non-electric) Tern that was pretty similar, so I wonder about the sturdiness of the folding mechanism, but with a small motor the Tern would have been a blast to ride on pavement. Maybe with slightly bigger tires (Big Ben Plus) and a Thudbuster? I like the Radmini, but I know that it would be a real pain to fold and move around every day.

Brampton May be the strongest for heavyweights. Edit, damn spiel chicker doesn’t like Bompton!
Heh, heh, I haven’t figured out yet how to stop the spellchecker on my iPad... Yeah, it wasn’t so long ago that I was 40 lbs less than today- graduate school can do that- if I just get something to ride I will lose weight. I wonder what 16” wheels are like? 20” are squirrelly enough. If I plead ignorance of weight limits the Luna folder could be an option. Have to see if Luna’s wait times are as bad as Rad Power’s are now.

Heh, heh, I haven’t figured out yet how to stop the spellchecker on my iPad... Yeah, it wasn’t so long ago that I was 40 lbs less than today- graduate school can do that- if I just get something to ride I will lose weight. I wonder what 16” wheels are like? 20” are squirrelly enough. If I plead ignorance of weight limits the Luna folder could be an option. Have to see if Luna’s wait times are as bad as Rad Power’s are now.
Have you checked the banana from Luna? Not a folder but still mini style.

Two of the best names in the folding bike genre are Brompton and Bike Friday, but prices are are far beyond what I care to spend on a single bike.

I prefer the Bike Friday approach. Geared motors make more sense for a smaller package. The mid drive might work for a bike that isn't folded often (like ours). Both use those nice LiGo batteries from Grin.

My wife prefers to ride a 20" folder for maneuverabilty. She has a big beach cruiser and a 700cc step-thru to ride, both electric. I ride a 20" when we ride together. Skinny tires. Don't care about power, so a small battery is good for 20 mile. I can carry two extra in a pannier bag to give us 40 miles. That's a lot of seat time.
Yeah, 20” wheels are fun for short rides, not so much for distance. I’m considering the Luna folder now because it is lightweight, but I know that I’d stress the frame with my current weight. Maybe if I change the tires to as large as the rims will accept and use a Thudbuster or whatever. I need something soon, and this is the wrong season to be buying an ebike- RadMinis sell out in minutes!

Did you look at the Biktrix Kutty LT? Granted they're sold out too, but you can see if their wait time is any better. Max weight load is 120 kg or 264 lbs. The iGo Fat E Folding bike is the same frame design but they're not shipping until July 31st. I find it odd that no one seems to have any inventory right now or it's very low. Not sure if China went on vacation, or if their labor pool is drying up, or raw materials are in short supply, or the bureaucracy of overseas shipping is to blame. It certainly is strange.

Have you checked the banana from Luna? Not a folder but still mini style.
I need a folder because I can’t bring a regular bike inside university buildings, and bikes locked outside are stolen very quickly here. I used to put my Tern in a shopping cart when I went grocery shopping!

Did you look at the Biktrix Kutty LT? Granted they're sold out too, but you can see if their wait time is any better. Max weight load is 120 kg or 264 lbs. The iGo Fat E Folding bike is the same frame design but they're not shipping until July 31st. I find it odd that no one seems to have any inventory right now or it's very low. Not sure if China went on vacation, or if their labor pool is drying up, or raw materials are in short supply, or the bureaucracy of overseas shipping is to blame. It certainly is strange.
I don’t know about the inventory thing- maybe has something to do with potential tariffs on imported aluminum and steel? The bikes Luna uses are old, so if they are out, they’re permanently out.

On a follow-up to an earlier post I made in this thread, I did test ride the RadMini yesterday while in Seattle and was impressed with the bike. It climbed the hills in the area with relative ease and the throttle made it quick to move from a dead stop. The employees at the Rad Power Bikes store were extremely accommodating and friendly throughout the entire test ride process.

I looked at all the bikes discussed above and chose the ejoe epic se. Have had it for a year now and can’t say enough good things about it. 500 watt motor 48 volt 10ah battery and quality and service have been great. We bought them originally thinking they would become our boat bikes. Alas 20” wheels were to big for our sailboat locker so we sold our full size bikes and use the ejoes for our home bikes. We are now looking at the Sondors fold mini, they sold out the first run and that was just delivered to original buyers this week. From what I have see now from owners postings and videos very nice, and the smaller size will definitely fit in our sailboat. Waiting for next preorder and will probably pull the trigger. There is definitely a market for small folders,the last mile market is growing by leaps and bounds look at what is happening in the scooter market, I’m just to old for a motorized scooter, but a small bike were there.

I looked at all the bikes discussed above and chose the ejoe epic se. Have had it for a year now and can’t say enough good things about it. 500 watt motor 48 volt 10ah battery and quality and service have been great. We bought them originally thinking they would become our boat bikes. Alas 20” wheels were to big for our sailboat locker so we sold our full size bikes and use the ejoes for our home bikes. We are now looking at the Sondors fold mini, they sold out the first run and that was just delivered to original buyers this week. From what I have see now from owners postings and videos very nice, and the smaller size will definitely fit in our sailboat. Waiting for next preorder and will probably pull the trigger. There is definitely a market for small folders,the last mile market is growing by leaps and bounds look at what is happening in the scooter market, I’m just to old for a motorized scooter, but a small bike were there.
So doors are the absolute bottom of the class. But if limited use they may well be OK. If you are active riders, don’t fall for the low price. You get what you pay for.

Tom, totally understand what I am looking at, but as I said, Boat Bike. Used for travel in port, get milk or beer and go up the street for dinner. Size matters the most for me, and a throttle to get me started, older rider and ebikes have been a great.

Damn spell checker... Sondors!
Tom, totally understand what I am looking at, but as I said, Boat Bike. Used for travel in port, get milk or beer and go up the street for dinner. Size matters the most for me, and a throttle to get me started, older rider and ebikes have been a great.
I just hate to see someone who ends up being dependent on a bike, end up either spending quite a bit on upgrades, or selling at a loss to get what will perform better. There's a few here who have folders from other sources, more expensive, and more reliable IMO. Throttles are found on nearly all American eBikes.

Tom, thanks for concern, we have our two ejoes the newer version and actually quite happy with them but 20” wheels even folded will not fit in our 37’ sailboat. So need 16” or even 14” wheels to create a compact package. Much prefer going to biggest wheel that would give us a small package. If you have suggestion to alternatives I’m all ears. The good news is this last mile design is catching on and every year more options are available, in fact Brompton got in the game last year. Unfortunately, very disappointed in the product design they put out. For that kind in money I expected way more. Hearing reviews now about Sondors mini, they seem to be fine with what we would need, would like more distance per charge (saying about 20 mi) but that is all about ah and maybe they offer an upgraded battery pack. Our ejoes have almost twice as many ah and we’re getting close to 50 mi on average, my wife the 50 me at 190 about 42.

Tom, thanks for concern, we have our two ejoes the newer version and actually quite happy with them but 20” wheels even folded will not fit in our 37’ sailboat.
Having been a small boat sailor and sailing instructor I have a soft spot for your adventure. Of course you know better what will fit and work for you. I'm opinionated when it comes to Sondors, please forgive any sour grapes. I have to say I'mkinda surprised by you Brompton review. I'd interested in your opinions there. It is on my short list with a Ebikes.ca motor/controller/wheel build. Moving to a condo in the next couple of years will mean folders for us. I dislike cheap bikes and ride everyday.

Having been a small boat sailor and sailing instructor I have a soft spot for your adventure. Of course you know better what will fit and work for you. I'm opinionated when it comes to Sondors, please forgive any sour grapes. I have to say I'mkinda surprised by you Brompton review. I'd interested in your opinions there. It is on my short list with a Ebikes.ca motor/controller/wheel build. Moving to a condo in the next couple of years will mean folders for us. I dislike cheap bikes and ride everyday.
I'm interested in the same kit, although I'm over the weight limit of the bike and Brompton does not suggest using a trailer like a Travoy that attaches to the seat post.
I'm in that hole with my current folder, a Montague Paratrooper Pro, but I'm liking it better since I put on Jones Loop Bars- this bike doesn't fold small anyway, and my hands don't go numb anymore- and I fixed a bs foam motor cutout/gen mode sensor support on the base of a brake. WT-? That expensive of a kit, and that funky of a critical part? I glued the hell out of it and now this thing hauls, compared to before when it was in gen mode even tho I had it on assist. Maybe there are some sturdier manufactured ones still around, rather than this foam and glue garbage.
Hehe, why didn't any Bionx dealer I took it to recognize this? I didn't notice the crack in the foam support until it got so large the sensor fell off and the motor threw on max brake. Gen mode is pretty powerful, and I don't need beefy brakes because of it.

Last edited:
On a follow-up to an earlier post I made in this thread, I did test ride the RadMini yesterday while in Seattle and was impressed with the bike. It climbed the hills in the area with relative ease and the throttle made it quick to move from a dead stop. The employees at the Rad Power Bikes store were extremely accommodating and friendly throughout the entire test ride process.
One of these days I want to ride a fatty and see how much more comfortable they might be than my current bike, although fixing my current ride has improved it a lot.

One of these days I want to ride a fatty and see how much more comfortable they might be than my current bike, although fixing my current ride has improved it a lot.
The fat tires definitely soak up road imperfections.

Back