Suggestion Dost Drop or Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000

I bought a DOST Kope over the Biktrix Juggernaut because it has better range and is not street legal in both Canada and the USA. The 1000W motor just eats through the battery like no tomorrow. I tried both bikes locally and thought the performance on the Kope was way better. just my 2 cents.
Honestly I saw Juggernaut assembly video. It looks 2nd class compare to Dost.
Have you test ridden any bikes.? Can you test ride any? Even if your LBS is out of stock maybe you can find a few on Craigslist to ride and compare. Mid drives are nice but a cheap rear hub might work just fine for you. Or you might balk at the weight. Same for the relatively heavy mid drives you are considering. I love my Frey CC, but at 73 pounds I can pretty much forget about throwing it in the back of the SUV like I can my lighter eMTB. Even with a heavy duty rack I'm not sure how it would work to transport 2 heavy (60-70) pound bikes. You might be better off getting something lighter and more portable depending on intended use (which may change once you start riding more). Best not to rush into this ordering bikes online.
Greatly appreciated your input. Please see review of Dost and give me your thoughts. Wish you a wonderful weekend!

I bought a DOST Kope over the Biktrix Juggernaut because it has better range and is not street legal in both Canada and the USA. The 1000W motor just eats through the battery like no tomorrow. I tried both bikes locally and thought the performance on the Kope was way better. just my 2 cents.

Have you actually gotten your Kope delivered?

Greatly appreciated your input. Please see review of Dost and give me your thoughts. Wish you a wonderful weekend!

I try not to pan Dost at every opportunity but yes, I've seen the video and with all due respect to Court, I don't feel either of their bikes should have gotten an EBR choice rating. A bit overpriced IMO for a Chinese manufactured bike with outdated mid drive (no torque sensing) and wires hanging out of the bottom. The aftermath of the review got a bit spicy with Dost taking liberties with the marketing and I got the impression Court gave an inch and they took a mile. I tend to support companies that exude integrity, and that remains to be seen with Dost.

I try not to pan Dost at every opportunity but yes, I've seen the video and with all due respect to Court, I don't feel either of their bikes should have gotten an EBR choice rating. A bit overpriced IMO for a Chinese manufactured bike with outdated mid drive (no torque sensing) and wires hanging out of the bottom. The aftermath of the review got a bit spicy with Dost taking liberties with the marketing and I got the impression Court gave an inch and they took a mile. I tend to support companies that exude integrity, and that remains to be seen with Dost.
Make sense. thanks.

Also, keep in mind some companies offer stellar pre-purchase support and difficult to get a hold of post-purchase. FLX would be a great example of one to avoid if you want post purchase support. Biktrix has been in business for a long time, I'm not a fan of the looks of their bikes, but their support is pretty good from what I hear and if you are looking at a bike with the Bafang Ultra motor they reportedly do some tuning that makes them smoother than the competition. Dost is a new kid on the block, they offer a product with reputable components, and may prove to have staying power, but don't read too much into how hungry they are pre-purchase.

I would concur the Bafang Ultra devours battery, but there are pros and cons to the motor. Some prefer torque sensing and the raw power, others are just fine with cadence sensing of the BBSxx motors. You can program the Ultra to be legal so that's not really an issue. Biktrix sells a BBSHD version of the Juggernaut (no torque sensing) that might be more comparable to the BBS02 on the Dost. The BBS02 is quieter due to having a nylon reduction gear, but not as powerful as the BBSHD. I have a bike with BBS01 and I love it for how quiet it is, only real downside of the BBSxx series is the lack of torque sensing (and they don't integrate as cleanly).

I would concur the Bafang Ultra devours battery, but there are pros and cons to the motor. Some prefer torque sensing and the raw power, others are just fine with cadence sensing of the BBSxx motors. You can program the Ultra to be legal so that's not really an issue. Biktrix sells a BBSHD version of the Juggernaut (no torque sensing) that might be more comparable to the BBS02 on the Dost. The BBS02 is quieter due to having a nylon reduction gear, but not as powerful as the BBSHD. I have a bike with BBS01 and I love it for how quiet it is, only real downside of the BBSxx series is the lack of torque sensing (and they don't integrate as cleanly).

Seems like there are always trade-offs. I have been suffering from "bike searching fatigue" (BSF). This one has this advantage, that one has a different advantage. I have looked at Dost and Biktrix but the one that is in the lead for me at this moment is the Evelo Aurora Limited. I'm not knocking the other two brands, but that Aurora limited gives me the power, the torque and a lot more. Yes it is a bit more expensive than the Dost bikes, but apples/oranges. No place to try any of the bikes I'm interested around here, so there's that, too.

I have not heard good things about the Dapu mid drive motor used on the Aurora Limited. Dapu makes great rear hub drives but I'm not sure i would invest in the Evelo Aurora Limited:

Might be best to do some test rides first, get an idea of what you like and don't like about the bikes you've ridden, where you plan to ride, typical terrrain, physical limitations if any, height etc. and come back to get some recommendations based on those criteria.

Edit: sorry, got you confused with the OP

Last edited:
I note the OP is Georgia so might be worth contacting M2S to see if they have any bikes to test ride. The M2S bikes are similar to Biktrix's offerings and it doesn't look like too far of a drive from GA.

I test rode a Dost before the pandemic shut everything down. The bike was decent and handled well, and looks to be priced well, compared to something like a Vado 4.0, until you take a more in-depth look at the bike. Not offering a torque sensor is a minus for me and I really, really don't like the way they routed the cable underneath the motor. Looks very DIY. The Dost's front cables look more DIY that the Vado's too. Mind you, In Canada the Vado is a $1000 more.
It's unfortunate that Dost tried to keep the price down by offering an old Bafang motor. Personally, I'd pay the same money and buy the Giant or Liv models.
On the plus side, the bike has tons of power and looks really nice.

I note the OP is Georgia so might be worth contacting M2S to see if they have any bikes to test ride. The M2S bikes are similar to Biktrix's offerings and it doesn't look like too far of a drive from GA.

thanks i just emailed them.

I test rode a Dost before the pandemic shut everything down. The bike was decent and handled well, and looks to be priced well, compared to something like a Vado 4.0, until you take a more in-depth look at the bike. Not offering a torque sensor is a minus for me and I really, really don't like the way they routed the cable underneath the motor. Looks very DIY. The Dost's front cables look more DIY that the Vado's too. Mind you, In Canada the Vado is a $1000 more.
It's unfortunate that Dost tried to keep the price down by offering an old Bafang motor. Personally, I'd pay the same money and buy the Giant or Liv models.
On the plus side, the bike has tons of power and looks really nice.
Thanks.
thanks i just emailed them.

Thanks! this e bike shopping is super exhausting and confusing 😔

Thanks. By next week I will make my decision. I understand there will be always pros and cons in every bike. I learn a lot from this platform. one thing I learn today which I didn’t know about until today is that there is a repair service who come to home and work on most e bikes. Velofix.

I have not heard good things about the Dapu mid drive motor used on the Aurora Limited. Dapu makes great rear hub drives but I'm not sure i would invest in the Evelo Aurora Limited:

Might be best to do some test rides first, get an idea of what you like and don't like about the bikes you've ridden, where you plan to ride, typical terrrain, physical limitations if any, height etc. and come back to get some recommendations based on those criteria.

Edit: sorry, got you confused with the OP

I have been trying to get a response from Evelo about this, but crickets.

tomdav, I think there is some question if the Evelo Auora Limited uses the same motor as the one reviewed in that article. In another thread Evelo was quoted as working with Dapu on another 750 motor with them. May be the same motor but not sure. I hope someone is able to find out. Thanks

Thanks! Dost offer 2 years warranty. Is this something important to consider one over the other? Also Dost comes fully assembled. My personal experience on communication with both is different. Dost I have got 3 direct contacts including CEO. He called me as well. Where as Biktrix I have to leave voicemail few times to get their attention.
I contact biktrix via email or message them via the Facebook group,they have always responded within 24hours! Their
bike frames are warrantied for life and the electronics and battery for one year.

Back