Suggest E Bike Hitch Rack for 2 Bikes Please!

The search tab is your friend. This subject has been extensively discussed. I bought the Thule Easyfold Xt2. Look at what racks are rated to carry. You pay more for racks that are lighter weight, easy to carry when off the car and so forth. Even though my local REI was closed got it from them with pickup I n less than a week.

This is the one I use on my jeep, pickup and suv. It tilts down or swings out of the way. It is a little heavy but tough.

I haven’t used it for two ebikes yet, just my Allant+7 and my wife’s older Verve analog bike. It’s very strong and I’m quite confident that when we get an ebike for her it will work perfectly.

I am looking for E Bike Hitch Rack for my truck. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
How big/heavy are your bikes?
What size wheels, what tire widths?
Is frame metal or carbon fiber?
Do you need/want a ramp so you don't have to lift the bikes onto the rack?
What's your price range?
I assume 2" hitch size.

How big/heavy are your bikes?
What size wheels, what tire widths?
Is frame metal or carbon fiber?
Do you need/want a ramp so you don't have to lift the bikes onto the rack?
What's your price range?
I assume 2" hitch size.
Yes its a Ram 1500 Limited. Ramp would be nice. One is 65 lbs and another one is 60 lbs. Tire size one is 3" and another is 4". I know I have to pay high price for quality product so I think between $500 to $700.

I have the Yakima Hold up 2. it's OK. I had to do two simple mods to make it work with 4" tires.
I live in Mn with a lot of salt and slush. I throw the rack right in the truck bed and put the bike on it in the winter. It works well and is stable.
IMG_4290.JPG

Couple things to watch out for on any rack:
1. make sure the wheel hoops can handle 4" tires. A lot of them can't.
2. The over the tire hooks don't play well with fenders.
3. Ebikes are heavy, make sure your rack is rated for the weights you need. Removing the batteries helps.

I had a Thule XT2 for a while and sold it. Great for one bike, but a PITA for two bikes. Having to snake the clamping arms through the frames and then find something to clamp them to took WAY too long. Thule could go a long way to making the arm/clamping easier by having arms that could be adjusted to length.
Personally, I would not recommend this rack if you plan on carrying two ebikes.

I had a Ram 1500 myself in recent years, near the start of my time getting into ebikes. Your thread here reminded me of the challenges I faced in finding a hitch mounted carrier that would accept my multiple heavy fat tire bikes.

One option available to you as a truck owner is a tailgate padded mount. It uses the tailgate to hold up the bike, strapped into place and the padding protecting the tailgate itself.

Here's an example of one I was looking at:

It does mean climbing up into the truck bed to carry your bikes. It also eliminates any worry of the weight hanging off the hitch.

I share this idea with you simply because as a truck owner you have this option that non-truck owners do not. :)

Back