Stupid E-bike games?

Chancelucky2

I have a class 1 bike (BMW Cruise) and I get passed now and then by cyclists in multi-colored jerseys who are riding carbon fiber-framed bikes with drop handlebars. I don't exactly race them, but I wait a few seconds then see if I can re-close the gap. Most of them are going about 22 to 23 mph and my power assist tops out at 20, so I'm basically going on human power on the downhills and flats while getting help on the uphills below 20. For some odd reason, I never pass them, even on those rare occasions when I can. I don't and can't do it for very long, just enough to feel like I'm going all out for a bit. It's sort of like being a dog chasing cars.

I find that it breaks up the ride, makes me feel a bit younger, etc. I don't think I'd ever do it on a Class 3 bike which would have me keeping pace with most anyone I'd see out on the road. For me, it's more about using the foundation of the pedal assist to get to 20 then having to sustain the higher speed for a bit and feeling like I'm riding a regular bike for a bit, even though I never go that fast on my regular bike or haven't for many years.

I've noticed that I have a few of these little e-bike games.
1. hypermiling
2. finding the lowest power assist setting that I can use on a steep hill
3. keeping the battery monitor at two bars or below (sort of a close cousin of the hypermiling)
4. seeing how long I can go without using power assist
5. staying at exactly 15 mph
6. guessing when to go from eco to tour mode on my way home without going below 2 battery bars.

are there other e-bike games out there?

I have a class 1 bike (BMW Cruise) and I get passed now and then by cyclists in multi-colored jerseys who are riding carbon fiber-framed bikes with drop handlebars. I don't exactly race them, but I wait a few seconds then see if I can re-close the gap. Most of them are going about 22 to 23 mph and my power assist tops out at 20, so I'm basically going on human power on the downhills and flats while getting help on the uphills below 20. For some odd reason, I never pass them, even on those rare occasions when I can. I don't and can't do it for very long, just enough to feel like I'm going all out for a bit. It's sort of like being a dog chasing cars.

I find that it breaks up the ride, makes me feel a bit younger, etc. I don't think I'd ever do it on a Class 3 bike which would have me keeping pace with most anyone I'd see out on the road. For me, it's more about using the foundation of the pedal assist to get to 20 then having to sustain the higher speed for a bit and feeling like I'm riding a regular bike for a bit, even though I never go that fast on my regular bike or haven't for many years.

1. hypermiling
3. keeping the battery monitor at two bars or below (sort of a close cousin of the hypermiling)
6. guessing when to go from eco to tour mode on my way home without going below 2 battery bars.

Hypermiling is popular among car owners especially to hybrid cars such as the prius. Owners basically brag on their achievement to attain 100 miles per gallon on some side street journeys (low speed rides).

To make a comparable achievement, you need to know how much watthours of battery juice is consumed over a specified number of miles travelled. Ebike's consumption is measured in whr/mile. Some ebikes have real time display of whr/mile consumption such as the Juicedbiles CCX.

Many ebikes average at 20 whr/mile. Some new ebikes with efficient mid drives can do as low as 10 whr/mile if ridden at lower speeds (10-14 mph).

Generally the whr/mi consumption correlates with the actual speed from 10 mph to 18 mph. Above 18 mph the increase in whr/mi consumption is more of exponential rather than linear to the actual speed.

Since my battery is a wedge on the front, I tell people it is a canard to reduce the sonic boom when I go supersonic. Watch Nova about the Concord if you really want to know the details. That fairy tale is as good as any other.

One of my favorite trails in Western MD. has a 12 mile uphill grade which exceeds 10% in some spots. Several racing bike clubs like to practice there since you get a good workout on the slope. A game I can't resists playing is to follow a group of them at a discreet distance using a low PAS setting. At about the 8 mile mark, the pack usually slows a bit and most riders are standing on the pedals working the grade trying to maintain speed. I kick the PAS to max and pass them while pedaling sitting down. My bike is quite stealthy and it's hard to tell it's an ebike without close inspection. The looks I get are priceless as a 70 ish rider, more than twice their age, on a fat tire girls bike (step thru) complete with saddlebags, breezes past!

I always pull over in the scenic overlook at the top and wait for the group to catch up. Most of the riders are curious enough to stop and check out the bike. So far, I haven't heard any "that's cheating" comments. Most of the guys and a few girls were quite interested in the bike. I suspect they were all a bit relieved to find it's actually an ebike.

Best answer I've heard to date for the "that's cheating" comment is "who am I cheating?"

One of my favorite trails in Western MD. has a 12 mile uphill grade which exceeds 10% in some spots. Several racing bike clubs like to practice there since you get a good workout on the slope. A game I can't resists playing is to follow a group of them at a discreet distance using a low PAS setting. At about the 8 mile mark, the pack usually slows a bit and most riders are standing on the pedals working the grade trying to maintain speed. I kick the PAS to max and pass them while pedaling sitting down. My bike is quite stealthy and it's hard to tell it's an ebike without close inspection. The looks I get are priceless as a 70 ish rider, more than twice their age, on a fat tire girls bike (step thru) complete with saddlebags, breezes past!

I always pull over in the scenic overlook at the top and wait for the group to catch up. Most of the riders are curious enough to stop and check out the bike. So far, I haven't heard any "that's cheating" comments. Most of the guys and a few girls were quite interested in the bike. I suspect they were all a bit relieved to find it's actually an ebike.
Try this for a laugh..
Carry a toothbrush in an accesible pocket and overtake one handed with a nod whilst brushing your teeth!! A good way to learn previously unheard expletives.

Hypermiling is popular among car owners especially to hybrid cars such as the prius. Owners basically brag on their achievement to attain 100 miles per gallon on some side street journeys (low speed rides).

To make a comparable achievement, you need to know how much watthours of battery juice is consumed over a specified number of miles travelled. Ebike's consumption is measured in whr/mile. Some ebikes have real time display of whr/mile consumption such as the Juicedbiles CCX.

Many ebikes average at 20 whr/mile. Some new ebikes with efficient mid drives can do as low as 10 whr/mile if ridden at lower speeds (10-14 mph).

Generally the whr/mi consumption correlates with the actual speed from 10 mph to 18 mph. Above 18 mph the increase in whr/mi consumption is more of exponential rather than linear to the actual speed.

Hypermiling isn't just about attaining high mpg on low speed side streets. It's really driving to get the best efficiency out of your vehicle. For example, my car is EPA rated for 28 city / 40 highway. I usually get 42 mpg driving normally but when I hypermile, I get 48 to 50 mpg. I do drive at the speed limit (where most folks are doing 5 to 10 over). And I drive like I don't have any brakes. I ride my e-bike the same way. Why storm up to a stop sign and slam on the brakes when I can coast in and barely touch the brakes to stop?

If anyone is interesting in getting the most mpg out of their car, check out cleanmpg.com. It's a good resource.

Actually roaring into a stop sign uses far less energy than roaring away from one. It is harder on brake pads however.

Actually roaring into a stop sign uses far less energy than roaring away from one. It is harder on brake pads however.

That could be true but extra energy is used in both cases, the amount of energy used depends on several factors. When hypermiling, one would coast to the stop as much as feasible and accelerate slowly away after the stop.

When biking, Ive noticed that most drivers don’t coast at all. They are either accelerating or braking. It always amazes me how much energy they waste in doing so.

That could be true but extra energy is used in both cases, the amount of energy used depends on several factors. When hypermiling, one would coast to the stop as much as feasible and accelerate slowly away after the stop.

When biking, Ive noticed that most drivers don’t coast at all. They are either accelerating or braking. It always amazes me how much energy they waste in doing so.
Interestingly, or not as the case may be.. My car has 3 drive settings, Auto and Sport as one might expect, but also an economy setting where it coasts whenever I take my foot off of the gas. Took a bit of getting used to but it really does make a difference.

1. hypermiling

In addition to playing with the bike, I play online poker on the site to relax.

Sorry, the topic is old, but I still want to respond. I have to say that these games have not only added fun to my rides, but will help improve my fitness and cycling skills as well

Last edited:
I'd like to play some games, but the problem is, there is only 3 bikes around here, and I own 2 of them!....

As an update, there is another bike in town, so I own 2 outa the four, just in, another up date there's another one, that's 5 total, the town is growing.......I think...lol ymmv

Back