student- E-BIKE research

I wouldn't say that... Even if you compare MTBs and road bikes from 10 years ago, the technological improvement is quite obvious.
I still think the traditional bicycles are about at the pinnacle. There is no way to see what the pinnacle of motors and batteries will get to. But for people that buy in the $1500 or less eBike range, I believe they won't be buying a much more advanced eBike either. The only way that tech is going is for cheaper and that will be hard to improve on from what they are using today.

I still think the traditional bicycles are about at the pinnacle. There is no way to see what the pinnacle of motors and batteries will get to. But for people that buy in the $1500 or less eBike range, I believe they won't be buying a much more advanced eBike either. The only way that tech is going is for cheaper and that will be hard to improve on from what they are using today.
I have a more optimistic view here as well. Knowing full well that the current controller programming on most hub driven bikes is complete crap compared to what is possible, with no or very little change in hardware (no additional sensors), it's very easy to see that customers are going to realize the current generation controller software being used is what it is (crap), and will start demanding better. IMHO, it will take little to improve on it.... That's a very reasonable request. -Al

Last edited:
hi everyone, my apologies the research is for all aspects of an E-Bicycle I'm doing the research as my project is to design one. so we have been given the task of asking users of E-bicycles to find out what their likes and dislikes of E-bicycles are. we have to find out what current brands are favourable and why to help us design our own. so the research will cover trends of E-bicycles, materials, sizes, frame types and styles (i.e mountain or city E-bicycles) and any general things about your E-bicycles.
Hi Tyler. It’s great that you’re taking an interest in transport design. Like others have said, it’s a broad topic. I ride a Pedego Ridge Rider Mostly on road and trolly trails. It’s a class 2 and I use the throttle only to get going from standstill. For a >60 lb bike that’s a safety feature. I like the integrated battery for esthetics and mostly charge it off bike at home. So ease of removal. I like the adjustable air forks and I’ve installed a Kinect suspension seat post. Between these two items the bike is very comfortable for me. And fully adjustable. I’ve installed Schwalbe Marathon tires and have been flat free for over 1500 miles.
I think my next bike will belt driven and either a hub gear ( Rohloff, Enviolo) with mid drive motor, or a Pinion gear with hub motor. These are maintenance free systems and technically advancing bicycle drive trains. Notwithstanding price, normal gears and derailleurs, while cheaper and lighter, are questionable for use on ebikes today. These historic systems always need cleaning, adjustments and chain replacements.

in your design, think about two groups. First is young people who don’t want/need a car with it’s related expenses. Try to include some anti theft or tracking device if stolen. (Hide an Apple pod under the seat). Secondly, design for Boomers who want to stay active. In this group figure out a gyroscopic feature (like Segway) to help with balance. More women fear biking as they age since they worry (a lot) about falling a breaking a hip. In both cases visibility matters a lot for safety. Lights, bright colors, horns/bells that can be heard by seniors walking ( frequency) and penetrate ear buds playing music or podcasts (blue tooth warning). Maybe some new sensor device that is more visible to autonomous vehicles. It’s time for tech to help keep cyclists safe from cars.

Good luck. You are our future developers.

Last edited:
Hi Tyler. It’s great that you’re taking an interest in transport design. Like others have said, it’s a broad topic. I ride a Pedego Ridge Rider Mostly on road and trolly trails. It’s a class 2 and I use the throttle only to get going from standstill. For a >60 lb bike that’s a safety feature. I like the integrated battery for esthetics and mostly charge it off bike at home. So ease of removal. I like the adjustable air forks and I’ve installed a Kinect suspension seat post. Between these two items the bike is very comfortable for me. And fully adjustable. I’ve installed Schwalbe Marathon tires and have been flat free for over 1500 miles.
I think my next bike will belt driven and either a hub gear ( Rohloff, Enviolo) with mid drive motor, or a Pinion gear with hub motor. These are maintenance free systems and technically advancing bicycle drive trains. Notwithstanding price, normal gears and derailleurs, while cheaper and lighter, are questionable for use on ebikes today. These historic systems always need cleaning, adjustments and chain replacements.

in your design, think about two groups. First is young people who don’t want/need a car with it’s related expenses. Try to include some anti theft or tracking device if stolen. (Hide an Apple pod under the seat). Secondly, design for Boomers who want to stay active. In this group figure out a gyroscopic feature (like Segway) to help with balance. More women fear biking as they age since they worry (a lot) about falling a breaking a hip. In both cases visibility matters a lot for safety. Lights, bright colors, horns/bells that can be heard by seniors walking ( frequency) and penetrate ear buds playing music or podcasts (blue tooth warning). Maybe some new sensor device that is more visible to autonomous vehicles. It’s time for tech to help keep cyclists safe from cars.

Good luck. You are our future developers.
Love those ideas! I’m in the first group and got rid of my car and saving lots of money. Love the sensor idea for self driving cars. I see them driving around Scottsdale and always want to get as close as possible on my bike to see if the cameras see me on my bike or not. They are coming to my kids school for a demo and that would be a great question to have him ask, how are they making streets safer for walkers and bikers!

I can advise you to use the SWOT matrix of your analysis in your research. In this way, you can find out all the pros and cons of e-bikes in comparison with classic or other vehicles. Also, if you have problems with the research you can use the service https://essays.edubirdie.com/dissertation-writing-service for dissertation writing for students. There is a lot of useful information in a convenient format so that you can improve your knowledge.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm a transport design student and I'm doing research on E-bikes for a current project at university. I was wondering if you could give me insight on what you believe to be the best features on E-bikes, best styles, sizes and anything else.

kindest regards, Tyler :)
they're fun and i laugh at wind and hills....nuf said

Back