Stromer ST2020 concept bike - Gates belt drive and 5 speed integrated gearbox

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
This is a nice looking bike with very low maintenance drive system.

Indeed very very nice. Belt drives and ABS are the future for ebikes in my opinion. I hope they consider completing this prototype with front and rear suspension like the new 2020 R&M Delight and SuperDelight.

36913637ee.jpg

At present, Stromer engineers working hard to make the Gates2020 as agile and sporty like a typical Stromer. The hardest part is the position, setup and fine tuning of the torque sensor. All Stromer riders know: This benchmark is high. In the concept is foreseen, the frame is ST1 but the equipment shall be ST3.

The concept bike is fitted with a Gates CDX belt. The company stated clearly, its "concept" - changes might happen before going on sale. Find a few details more in the attached file.

Attachments

• Stromer Gates 2020.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,292
Great read . Thanks Blue cat for the link. Looking forward to riding a new Stromer belt bike.

Once again: It's not finished yet.

Especially the motor and the fine-tuning are remaining issues. The major challenge is to achieve the typical, sporty and dynamic riding feeling of a Stromer.

37001357jw.jpg

37001369iv.jpg

It just looks way too heavy, but nice color and integration.

The older Stromers will probably sell for 70% off if this one is a good product. No chains, no mess, no casettes , etc..

Trek ALLANTE carbon is the 2020 ebike to beat.
625+500=1125wh on a 47-48lb carbon ebike.
They will probably have similar prices.

I wish i had say it’s an BH ebike the one for 2020,but they keep those under wraps under feb. 2020.

So this will have a 500w motor and a 5 speed transmission in the rear hub?
I hope they can do a really wide range 5 speed with a very tall 5th gear.

I rarely use more than 5 gears out of my 11 so this could be a really nice setup

Looks like the Pedego Conveyor

For those who select rather by tech specs than by similar color:

Have a closer look on the MTB Cycletech "Code"! The small Swiss factory has also a gearless hub drive with belt transmission finished. Instead of the Sturmey Archer like Stromer it uses, they placed the Pinion at the crank. They planned with the Go SwissDrive, but changed to Alber's (Germany) Neodrive.

Please find more details on their website:

Sourced said, MTB Cycletech applied to become a "Vehicle Manufacturers" in the EU. This would open a bigger market, but also brings new restrictions through the Brussel bureaucracy. I don't expect, they will enter the US market, but the project remains interesting. As they are only at the beginning with the 45km/h series, the gap to a Stromer is huge: Poor lighting, unsuitable suspension fork, horrible battery mechanism, complete lack modern anti theft and no connectivity... but pricing close to an ST3.

1579892409635.png

On the other hand, the Neodrive is already a 48V system - and the color palette offers a broad variety.

MTB_Cycletech_Code-man.jpg

For those who select rather by tech specs than by similar color:

Have a closer look on the MTB Cycletech "Code"! The small Swiss factory has also a gearless hub drive with belt transmission finished. Instead of the Sturmey Archer like Stromer it uses, they placed the Pinion at the crank. They planned with the Go SwissDrive, but changed to Alber's (Germany) Neodrive.

Please find more details on their website:

Sourced said, MTB Cycletech applied to become a "Vehicle Manufacturers" in the EU. This would open a bigger market, but also brings new restrictions through the Brussel bureaucracy. I don't expect, they will enter the US market, but the project remains interesting. As they are only at the beginning with the 45km/h series, the gap to a Stromer is huge: Poor lighting, unsuitable suspension fork, horrible battery mechanism, complete lack modern anti theft and no connectivity... but pricing close to an ST3.

View attachment 44468

On the other hand, the Neodrive is already a 48V system - and the color palette offers a broad variety.

MTB_Cycletech_Code-man.jpg
Hi Bluecat,I know you like Stromer bikes and represent/defend them in this forum.
I believe that your "on the other hand" comment is unfair.
This looks like a great alternative to the Stromers, preorders are through the roof in Belgium says the marketing / sales director of MTB Cycletech that I met @ Velofillies last week.
The Code 45 which is made in Switzerland ( as you mentioned), close to you ,i believe, looks to me, component wise, like a great deal and starts at CHF 6899 / €6099
The Stromer-concept-store.ch list the ST3 starting @ CHF 7580 .........
While it is true that this is a new model they've been making bikes for over 20 years... and this model has been designated: German design Award WINNER for year 2020

I think YOU should have a closer look at the high quality components
Poor lighting? Supernova M99 Mini Pro 25!!!!! vs Roxim pro
Unsuitable suspension fork? Well at least it has one ( Suntour Mobie-E) 75 mm travel , 15 mm through axle. Very expensive add-on option for Stromer bikes. Not factory available onST3
Horrible battery mechanism,? what's wrong with it? No finicky bluetooth . A good old lock that works...
Lack of modern anti-theft mechanism and no connectivity? Given the widely reported reliability problems discussed in this forum with Omni connectivity and poor service by Stromer AG and countless issues encountered in local bike shops unable to fix these complicated bikes, even by fans of the brand and the bikes ,I would not put these features forward as premium . A good quality Lock and care in storage works just fine and I would guess that most owners don't park their 10K bikes on the street or anywhere they're likely to be stolen for any extended period of time. Also GPS features no sooo reliable hear......
These "premium" features would be great if they worked when needed. Could be reliably updated. And didn't add hundreds of dollars to the price of an already expensive bike.

I would say that the Neodrive system (made in Germany by a well known electric motor company) which comprises the Z20 RS motor 48V 500W nominal 700w peak 40Nm torque, 650Wh battery, and clear no frills comprehensive display ; with the Pinion C-series gearbox Transmission and the Carbon Gates belt , Schwalbe Marathone E-Plus tires, Magura MT5e brakes, in my opinion guarantees very low maintenance , No surprise/headache, fast ,fun , reliable ride.

Maybe you should test ride one! I will be test riding one when the demo bike arrives at my local shop next week. (Btw i have ridden ST1X, ST1 Launch Edition and ST3. all great rides but with high price stickers and known reliability issues)

Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the new Swiss competitor

Last edited:
this member , Bluecat,is well known "payed" to adverstise on behalf of Stromer.
Actually he should disclose that, as that's what the law says here in Us.

Anyway the time of the heavy clunker Stromer is gone for good.
When they wake up to the ebike realities of 2020, they should release a sub 47lb ebike , w/o reliability issues and under 5k .

I believe that your "on the other hand" comment is unfair.

My last ordinary bicycle before I bought a Stromer was a MTB Cycletech. It was a commuter bike like the Stromer – and also like Stromer, MTB Cycletech was renowned to build elegant and functional bikes in one. Meanwhile, Butch Gaudy has left the company, but I was convinced, they learned from him how to design bikes which bring functionality and elegance together. Today I know I was wrong.

The elegance of the frame of the “Code” might blind the spectator. As the frame is the sole part of a bicycle which is made by the bicycle-manufacturer, it should be perfect – especially, when the build a new bike from scratch.

The battery handling should be as easy as taking out the cabin case from the trunk. 43km is the average daily commute of a Stromer. With the 650Wh battery and the 700W motor, the “Code” needs to be recharged every day. Few might have a private garage with electricity; some will have a bike shelter or a bike room wherein they can bring electricity with a reasonable effort.

Several users have to dismount the battery for charging in their flat. At a nice sunny evening this will be practical. But commuting is not limited to the summer. It might rain, being dark, the bike wet and dirty or even icy. Now, the removal of the battery becomes annoying.

Then, the winter approaches. Temperature can fall below 0ºC. The battery will allow the ride home even when the bike was outside in the cold the whole day. But never ever charging! Nothing will damage the battery quicker than charging at low temperature.

Therefore, the BMS (in a Stormer battery) will not allow charging as long as the battery temperature is below 0ºC. There is no other way than bring the battery into the warm flat. In a garage it will be frost-proof, but still too cold.

I see the following options to overcome this hurdle:
  • Ignore the degradation of the battery, buy earlier a new one
  • Do not ride in winter
  • Install heating devices where your “Code” stays overnight
With this in mind, it becomes clear, why the battery handling should be at least as easy as on a Stromer. The more complicated handling which MTB Cycletech implanted on their “Code” is well known in the eMTB sector. But mountain biking is leisure, only occasional during the nice weather season. In this field, such construction is acceptable.

I mention this not only because of the better solution of the competitors but also to create awareness what must be observe if someone tends to buy a commuter ebike. I’ll come back on the other issues later.

Watch the video of the keyless battery handling: First you see, the eject button is locked (like when the bike is off or in standby). Then the lock is released by the display-button. Pushing eject, the battery door opens and the battery can be taken at its handle.

Back