Stromer ST2 S Crank Replacement

dfgarci17

Hi all,

Took a hard fall on some black ice with the brunt of the fall centering on the right crank arm. I believe the fall bent the crank arm in every so slightly which is now causing the chain ring to grind against the chain stay. I have a couple of options:

1) Buy a new crank set - If I go this route, seems like the Stromer ST2 S replacement is in the high $300 range for an entire set, but I only need to replace the right crank arm it seems. If I wanted to completely upgrade, can I purchase any 1x11 crank sets?
2) Try to bend back the crank arm back - Not sure if this is smart.
3) Change back to the original 52 tooth chain ring - I made an upgrade and swapped out my original chain ring for a 54 tooth (thanks to a recommendation on this forum). The clearance for a 54 tooth is a couple millimeters, and reverting back may stop the grinding, but ultimately wouldn't solve the bent issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Took a hard fall on some black ice with the brunt of the fall centering on the right crank arm. I believe the fall bent the crank arm in every so slightly which is now causing the chain ring to grind against the chain stay. I have a couple of options:

1) Buy a new crank set - If I go this route, seems like the Stromer ST2 S replacement is in the high $300 range for an entire set, but I only need to replace the right crank arm it seems. If I wanted to completely upgrade, can I purchase any 1x11 crank sets?
2) Try to bend back the crank arm back - Not sure if this is smart.
3) Change back to the original 52 tooth chain ring - I made an upgrade and swapped out my original chain ring for a 54 tooth (thanks to a recommendation on this forum). The clearance for a 54 tooth is a couple millimeters, and reverting back may stop the grinding, but ultimately wouldn't solve the bent issue.

Thanks in advance!

This happened to me. I let my friend ride my bike. He didn't engage the kickstand properly, the bike fell hard because of the weight in my panniers and the left crank arm was bent severely. I replaced it with FSA crankset.
You can replace it with any 52 teeth crankset and I'm sure you can get a high quality one for <$150.

sorry about your fall. I haven't had any issues with my ST2S's but I had to replace the lefty on my ST1x (non warranty issue) and it was like $15 shipped for an FSA. I'm a bit of a cheapskate. Do what Ravi is saying.

I couldn't get anything in at a reasonable time (I bike courier), so I did the next best thing - lit the crank on fire and smacked it with a hammer to get the mm of needed clearance. Working on replacing, however.

Back