Stromer ST2 Pulsing (Please vote)

Does your Stromer "pulse" when peddling at a constant speed, on a flat surface, in Mode 3?

• Total voters
Good news. I took the Stromer ST2 that had been adjusted with the iPhone app to maximize agility and that almost completely eliminated the pulsing. I say almost because when on a flat road at top speed I could still feel it, but not to any degree that annoyed me. When going up an incline I could not detect it at all. I've attached the screen of the app where these settings are.

Note you can also set the top speed and the torque both of which I set to maximum. These settings affect Mode 2 and consequently its not longer as eco friendly.

But the most important things are:
  1. There definitely is a problem with pulsing in mode 3 of the Stromer St2.
  2. Not everyone believes its a problem (see the poll) results so far.
  3. Stromer considers this pulsing "normal" behavior.
  4. You can almost completely eliminate it with the iPhone app settings.
  5. I have no clue why Stromer makes fixing this so obscure or why even dealers are not aware of it.
I'm buying this eBike!

Thanks for everyone's participation. I hope you all learned something from it.

Mitch

stromer_app_agility_img.jpg

There was defiantly a problem with YOUR st2.
If problem is not happening on my bike, it is not a problem.
Stromer considers when assist cuts off(when you coast or hit limiter), you will experience a negative pulse - not pulsing you are describing as normal.
The setting you are showing are likely what most of us natuarlly try first. And no pulsing for me.
Stromer and their dealers consider it obscure- because it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was defiantly a problem with YOUR st2.
If problem is not happening on my bike, it is not a problem.
Stromer considers when assist cuts off(when you coast or hit limiter), you will experience a negative pulse - not pulsing you are describing as normal.
The setting you are showing are likely what most of us natuarlly try first. And no pulsing for me.
Stromer and their dealers consider it obscure- because it is.

Your wrong and very narrow minded.
Read the comments in this thread; many people have had the same issue.
Look at the poll; 40% of the respondents have this issue.
"If its not happening on my bike, its not a problem." Really? Man that is the silliest thing I have heard in a long time.

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence."
Robert Frost

Last edited by a moderator:
I have test-driven the ST2 and the ST1. Both bikes showed the same "problem". At slow speed in mode 1 2 or 3, when you don't pedal hard enough (to little force) you feel the motor engaging and disengaging in a very anoying way. The only solution I found was to switch gears so that you have to put more force on the pedals. I also have driven the mid-engined M1 Spitzing. This bike is even stronger than the ST2. The Spitzing doesn't have the pulsing-problem and in my opinion drives better than the ST2. 2 problems with this (carbon) bike: the motor makes more noise than the ST2 and you have to use the gears when you want to make a fast start wich is not the case with the ST2.

I have test-driven the ST2 and the ST1. Both bikes showed the same "problem". At slow speed in mode 1 2 or 3, when you don't pedal hard enough (to little force) you feel the motor engaging and disengaging in a very anoying way. The only solution I found was to switch gears so that you have to put more force on the pedals. I also have driven the mid-engined M1 Spitzing. This bike is even stronger than the ST2. The Spitzing doesn't have the pulsing-problem and in my opinion drives better than the ST2. 2 problems with this (carbon) bike: the motor makes more noise than the ST2 and you have to use the gears when you want to make a fast start wich is not the case with the ST2.

For the 2015 version, the noise is reduced significantly. The 2014 pre-production models of M1 Spitzing had noisier engines.
The newer version should be quieter and smoother. Did you test ride them at Ebike store in Munich or Mainz?

I've testdriven the Spitzing (R-version) in Belgium for 2 weeks.
The pulsing was not the only problem on the ST2 testbike.
The battery-door didn't close because the lock was broken. Door was held close with tie-raps. The brakenoise was a disaster. The bluetooth connection couldn't be tested. Adjusting the clock wasn't possible. Average speed on the display wasn't correct...
Despite all these problems it's a nice bike to ride. The range is one of the best I know. Last year I rode the Grace MX. It's a Bosch 28mph-system. I tested the different modes. Not pushing the bike to it's limits. After 26km the display showed 6km left before the battery was empty. So a Bosch system is not an option for me.
I still haven't bought an E-bike.
Choices: Stromer ST2 or M1 Spitzing.

St2 was my 1st E-bike . I am so glad I went all the way on my 1st purchase. Thanks for your demo results. We have the same e-bike leanings. Check out the new one that's a company that Grace just launched . Excuse my spelling Heidelberg sp. You are right the mileage I get from my Stromer is fantastic. Still in the learning process about this bike. It does have some little problems, but makes up with the sheer performance and genius engineering. Thanks again , and any of those you mentioned would be great I'm sure.

The battery-door didn't close because the lock was broken. Door was held close with tie-raps. The brakenoise was a disaster. The bluetooth connection couldn't be tested. Adjusting the clock wasn't possible. Average speed on the display wasn't correct...
Despite all these problems it's a nice bike to ride. The range is one of the best I know. Last year I rode the Grace MX. It's a Bosch 28mph-system. I tested the different modes. Not pushing the bike to it's limits. After 26km the display showed 6km left before the battery was empty. So a Bosch system is not an option for me.

I believe you're making assumptions based on the floor model you saw. Actually, I agree with you on the brake issue. I have conveyed this to Stromer team. They could use a better model.
Battery door was a problem for 2014 versions only. Bluetooth has been disabled with the latest update and the new update should bring back the bluetooth connectivity with lot more options. I have tested this bike to its limits and there are only few things I want to change i.e., cassette, brakes and chain ring.

I believe you're making assumptions based on the floor model you saw. Actually, I agree with you on the brake issue. I have conveyed this to Stromer team. They could use a better model.
Battery door was a problem for 2014 versions only. Bluetooth has been disabled with the latest update and the new update should bring back the bluetooth connectivity with lot more options. I have tested this bike to its limits and there are only few things I want to change i.e., cassette, brakes and chain ring.
Even with service and adjustment, do the brakes still squeal? What chainring would you move to?

And is there a specific brake upgrade you would do?

It does come with a 52T I think , what is the difference?

Btw, I had to get a ride home from my party, rear brake gone, front barely, bag broke and rubbed on wheel, and low battery on phone so no gps at 10pm and didn't know how to get home...chase vehicle to the rescue, glad we didn't switch but was a very kind offer!

It does come with a 52T I think , what is the difference?

Btw, I had to get a ride home from my party, rear brake gone, front barely, bag broke and rubbed on wheel, and low battery on phone so no gps at 10pm and didn't know how to get home...chase vehicle to the rescue, glad we didn't switch but was a very kind offer!

Thank god. You were not stuck on a GAP trail again!
Last week's ride has taken its toll on the chain ring and cassette. I see a lot of wear on them. The gear ratios are not ideal for climbing and I'm going to reduce from 11-34 to 11-28 for better gear ratio and climbing. Also, Race Face keeps the chain wear to minimum. It does come with 52 T but not narrow-wide.

Last edited:
to keep on topic , I did not notice the pulsating , actual thought it was slightly less than than my ST1. On both bike is it hard to keep a steady slow pace.. My rides do not use this slower pace . I keep lowering power and gearing to get to pace when I am pedaling against the motor as though slightly uphill resistance, not sure if this reads right to others. Also if I used clips and sat properly I would jerk less in power application on the pedal.

For the users that feel this issue, I would seek out a few others st2 to ride and verify it is the same on all bikes.

I thought more teeth would have more torque? I am not familiar w race face I will look it up

to keep on topic , I did not notice the pulsating , actual thought it was slightly less than than my ST1. On both bike is it hard to keep a steady slow pace.. My rides do not use this slower pace . I keep lowering power and gearing to get to pace when I am pedaling against the motor as though slightly uphill resistance, not sure if this reads right to others. Also if I used clips and sat properly I would jerk less in power application on the pedal.

For the users that feel this issue, I would seek out a few others st2 to ride and verify it is the same on all bikes.

I thought more teeth would have more torque? I am not familiar w race face I will look it up
Did you see my post that turning up the Agility setting using the iPhone app mostly eliminated the pulsing?

I did not adjust anything, I was riding Ravi's bike as a test ride . I did not ride as much as I need to yet. We stopped before I went up any hills .

To me there are basically 2 thoughts, some bikes show this symptom , some do not and possibly various amounts of it and/or someone just don't feel it, whether it be their riding style or they just don't notice it. If they don't notice it for whatever reason they will never know what you are feeling. If I owned the bike and did not notice it I would not want to.

In a car I find myself much more sensitive to out of balance tires than most people, either they don't care, think it is normal or just don't feel it. Friends say I am crazy and a PIA bit I can feel it !

I tried to get the pulsing and have none. The motor simply kicks in and out and on mine it does this smoothly. Look, we tested some cheap Asian imports last year and returned them. Talk about pulsing, they jerked like a bucking bronco.
You need to see the bad to appreciate the good. The ST2 is the king in my opinion. Not perfect, but nothing is.

I tried to get the pulsing and have none. The motor simply kicks in and out and on mine it does this smoothly. Look, we tested some cheap Asian imports last year and returned them. Talk about pulsing, they jerked like a bucking bronco.
You need to see the bad to appreciate the good. The ST2 is the king in my opinion. Not perfect, but nothing is.
The pulsing seems to be affected by individual bikes as much as the riders perceptions. As you can see in the poll about 40% feel it and 60% don't. Those values could change as more people vote.

I did not adjust anything, I was riding Ravi's bike as a test ride . I did not ride as much as I need to yet. We stopped before I went up any hills .

To me there are basically 2 thoughts, some bikes show this symptom , some do not and possibly various amounts of it and/or someone just don't feel it, whether it be their riding style or they just don't notice it. If they don't notice it for whatever reason they will never know what you are feeling. If I owned the bike and did not notice it I would not want to.

In a car I find myself much more sensitive to out of balance tires than most people, either they don't care, think it is normal or just don't feel it. Friends say I am crazy and a PIA bit I can feel it !
Your correct that the pulsing problem is a combination of perception and a symptom of individual bikes. However Stromer explains that its a normal feature of there design and that it can be minimized by adjusting Agility with the iPhone app. So if you do experience it, you are not imagining anything.

Back