Stromer ST1 - Recup 1&2 Stopped Working

Sooke Elite

I went for a ride on my ST1 Elite today and noticed an issue with Recup modes 1 & 2.

When I switch the control unit to Recup modes 1 or 2, nothing happens: charge is not indicated on the display and I also can’t feel any change / slowing down in the bike’s momentum that i experienced before in power regeneration mode.

I noticed that if I apply the rear brake sharply at speed, the Recup 2 mode activates momentarily (or at least the display charge arrow appears briefly on the display but immediately disappears).

I did try switching the bike off and even taking out the battery, it did not help.

Has anyone had this issue? Any thoughts?

I went for a ride on my ST1 Elite today and noticed an issue with Recup modes 1 & 2.

When I switch the control unit to Recup modes 1 or 2, nothing happens: charge is not indicated on the display and I also can’t feel any change / slowing down in the bike’s momentum that i experienced before in power regeneration mode.

I noticed that if I apply the rear brake sharply at speed, the Recup 2 mode activates momentarily (or at least the display charge arrow appears briefly on the display but immediately disappears).

I did try switching the bike off and even taking out the battery, it did not help.

Has anyone had this issue? Any thoughts?

Were the batteries fully charged?
Regen won't kick in when the battery is fully charged. This is to avoid overcharging.

Were the batteries fully charged?
Regen won't kick in when the battery is fully charged. This is to avoid overcharging.
I thought about it initially, but the battery is now at 84% and it still won't work. Also I don't recall ever noticing the regen/ recup mode not working before due to charge level.

Even when I am below 70%, my brake recup engages upon depressing the rear brake handle. The 1009 code is set to "0." Is this an issue with the firmware? For the way I ride the bike it interferes with the performance and I would like to eliminate the recup on braking. Anyone have any ideas?

I wish. The problem would be explained.

When I am BELOW 70%, my recup engages upon braking regardless of code 1009 set to "0."

Even when I am below 70%, my brake recup engages upon depressing the rear brake handle. The 1009 code is set to "0." Is this an issue with the firmware? For the way I ride the bike it interferes with the performance and I would like to eliminate the recup on braking. Anyone have any ideas?
Does setting the 1009 to '0' remove the 2 recup modes from the menu? If it does, perhaps this is all that the feature is designed to do (with braking still engaging the recup 2 mode)?
Just speculating. But personally I don't know why one would want to disable the recup modes. If nothing else it helps the braking, saves the brake pads I would think.

I think I got my answer from the dealer. If you turn off the 1009 code, that will only disable the recup modes from the menu. If the battery is below 70%, the engine brake will always engage when depressing the rear brake lever.

That is, unless you detach the wire from the brake lever, which I would not recommend. :)

There are a 2 reasons why I do not want regen braking. I am in complete control with my hand when I choose to make those calipers contact the rotor.
- it makes hand signals difficult. If I'm slowing down to make a turn and I want to let the car behind me know I'm making a left there is a moment of unease as the motor brake kicks in.
- on surfaces that are not clear (snow, ice, gravel, wet wood bridge) it can cause the back wheel to stutter or briefly lock up, depending on how hard I'm braking.

Thank you for the input.

Back