Stromer ST1 battery compartment door

I continue to be one of Stromers biggest cheerleaders. But will likely never understand why they don't get on things like this asap- get it fixed without all these posts and out of state dealers(altruistic in nature) spending a minute of their time to call rep, etc. to facilitate a fix from Stromer- that should have been done before customer resorted to asking forum for help.
Remember the "pulsing" issue? I don't think Stromer ever chimed in on the forum, and likely lost sales and left a question of doubt to their willingness or concern over their brand and future. A good dealer is a good dealer- but ultimately Stromer is responsible. They are the exclusive USA master dealer and with such a great product- are really only lacking overt concern of owners happiness. As ebikes popularity increases- they were/are poised to be a big deal-
But their are a lot of competers that can hop-scotch them just by doing the right thing. Pleasing their customers.
So much opportunity awaits a good company with a good product- it's awesome.

one - 1.jpg
two - 1.jpg
Had the stuck door over the winter. Got instructions from Scooteretti who provided a great response re removing screw at bottom bracket for the doors hinge. I didn't try that this spring however. Elected to try a dinner knife (carefully slid under the plastic trim ) to pry the door open. (make sure its UNLOCKED). Pushing the button was doing nothing. The prying tactic was successful, and I didn't have to use any pressure at all. Closed door and retried - still stuck. Examined the latch system. Everything was free. Hmmmm Decided to use a bit of general purpose grease on the latch and the detent in the top of the battery door, plus the lock arm. Voila. Door opens and closes like it was new. For those who don't have the problem yet - a bit of preventive maintenance might save you a problem later. Seems to be very little resistance difference between the button working to push out the door and being stuck.

Last edited:
You wrote in some e-bike support forum, that you have some pictures of how to fix the Stromer St1x/2 battery door compartment lock.

My brand new St1x's round key is stuck in the lock after I tried to lock the empty compartment.

Now it can't be moved in any direction and can't be locked with or without the battery in the compartment.

HELP! I need to go to work.

Sten,

Just send us over an email at [email protected] and our team will make sure to get our internal tech doc out to you. Sorry for the delay in responding. Just our season is in full swing.

take care,

Will

Why in the ebike world is a fairly common fail a guarded secret requiring emailing or calling to have the fix revealed? If the answer were posted as a pdf or other online doc Google could fimd it. Instead a buyer goes back over two year and reads your posts requiring emailing you or Lennie, or another dealer for the secret answer. Talk about lousy support...

I'm with you, Thomas. My key broke off inside my ST1 today. Now, I think I need to go to a lock smith to remove the broken key. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

They key and lock has been a problem since day one. The story behind this is that I had the Stomer on the back of my Suburu at the Suby dealer because I was dropping off the car for recalled airbag. I removed the battery during transport. When I placed the battery back in and turned the key at the Suby dealer, it got stuck. I tried everything to free it, but it was not movable. Then I felt the metal give and the key broke. The irony is that while I was at the Subaru dealer to fix a recalled and defective item, Stromer has a defective part which isn't recalled and I don't have a shop to help me with fixing it. I think many shops only want to sell the bikes. :-( I've had other problems that I've dealt with and nobody to support it. Not good at all... I still like the bike, but without support, I'll never purchase another one.

Attachments

• stromer key.jpg
    stromer key.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,966
A sticky battery door on the ST1's can be fixed pretty quickly and easily. The issue is when you lock (rotate) the cylinder a pin (metal bracket) swings out and locks the door and battery firmly into place. If this pin (bracket) is bent slightly it can cause the door to not open. Do not force the key or it will break and that is not good. The mechanism should be fairly smooth to open.

If anyone needs pics on how to correct this, simply email me at [email protected] and I can send you some instructions on how to fix this fairly easily.

ride safe,

Will
WOW - I wrote to Scooteretti to get a copy of their procedure for fixing the lock on my ST1 battery door, and they were back to me within 1/2 hr with detailed photo instructions. And 15 min after that problem solved. Amazingly quick and helpful response. Thank you Scooteretti!!!!!

Back