Strength of Turbo Vado 4.0 Rear Rack?

QAJAQR

My wife thinks the rack on the Specialized Tubo Vado 4.0 looks too flimsy to support the 44 lbs it's rated for. Anybody with experience here? Thanks.

I filled a large racktime basket with groceries: probably 25lbs. Panniers with laptop and several books; also in that 25-30lbs range. No issue at all. Trying to think of what on earth I want to carry on a bike to test 40lbs+

Thanks, RTeremi, for your response -- which answers my question. The prospective load on our prospective bike is a 26-27 lb dog. So I am reasured.

The rack itself is rated by Racktime at 44lbs. This is of course subject to how it is supported on and mounted to the bIke. In the case of the Vado, Specialized published cargo load figures for earlier year models that limited the rear rack, as mounted, to a 30lb cargo. I'm not aware of any changes to the rack mounting or support so I've personally assumed that the 30lb limit still applies. Still a fair amount of load, but less than the LBS quoted.

You can find the Vado weight limits by searching for "Specialized 2018 Vado 4". Go to the pull down "Manual Downloads" menu under "Technical Specs" and select "2018 Rider/Bike Weight Limits and Terrain Conditions". I have uploaded this spec to a different thread.

Back