Strava - RideGPS - other apps?

For anyone following this thread and needs clarification on what level of "paid" subscription (Basic or Premium) for Ride with GPS will give you access to the POI marking ability, here is the text from RWGPS on that question. (Since the cost difference between these plans is minimal, I'll go with the premium.)

Best wishes to all who helped me sort through all of this. Great group.
---------------------------------

Thank you for asking!

With a Basic subscription, you will have access to all the upgraded features in our mobile app. With a Basic subscription, you will be able to drop POI on a recorded activity while recording, and you'll also be able to add and edit POI in your planned Routes on the mobile app only.

A Premium subscription will unlock all the upgraded features in our mobile app as well as all the upgraded features on our website. Being able to add and edit POI to Routes on our website is considered an "Advanced Route Editing Tool," so if you also wanted to drop or edit your POI on our website in addition to being able to do so on our mobile app, you would need a Premium subscription.

I see how this can be confusing, though, so I'll send a note along to our website team to see if we can update the information on this chart to make it more clear! Do let me know if you have any more questions about this.
All the best,
Cynthia
http://support.ridewithgps.com

Peter, since your post I have been studying OSMAnd. It is incredible. I was close to getting my head wrapped around it when Ride with GPS answered my "feature request" email - stating that the app already has that option. After all these years of using the free version of R-GPS I think it's time to look at an upgrade... a debt I'm glad to pay. Thanks for pointing me to OSMAnd.
You're welcome. Good luck with your project.

I‘m pretty cheap, I don’t think I’ve ever paid for an app. I use Strava but mostly just to keep track of how far, how fast and how much elevation gain I’ve had.

I just use my Garmin 60csx GPS, (does 99% of things that most of the apps do,
and a whole lot more) which marks the spot I choose with Lon/Lat, and I can add a brief note for the mark, then add the info on my base map.
I also have the external antenna, which really helps in the tall timber where I hunt in Idaho, and I can now use it on my Wart Hog bike, thru the main battery's.
This GPS also has Hunt/Fish calendar for the best times, which work very well.

This model has been discontinued, but there is a newer out, never used or seen it yet.

This is the newer model, check the spec's..........
HTH,s

Last edited:
I am also an "odd man out" in that I don't use a traditional bicycle GPS will riding my e-bike. A couple of years ago I bought a Garmin Zumo XT, which is a motorcycle GPS, for my Can-Am ATV. When I bought my Gazelle e-bike last year I decided to get a mount for it, too. One of the challenges has been finding maps to add that show bike trails. I have found some and most of them are based on OpenStreetMaps.

Back