Strange wheel building on NCM Moskov

P1010620.JPG

Note the grooves cut by the spokes at the far side of motor, also, all bores have become enlarged
by chattering spokes,

J.R., I beg the differ. It looks right at a glance, but inside spoke needs to be inside & not crossed to the outside.
(see above post)
I believe I'm correct.

I believe I'm correct.

Well, the guy I quoted in post #18 seems to agree with you.

I believe I'm correct.

Might be just fine on a regular bike or even someone under 150 pds, but on a 500w bike with a 200#+
rider, this is how your wheel wind up with 13g spokes ^ I think any hub bike with 500w or more
should have 12g spokes. I arrived at that conclusion with my juiced CCS. ^

Might be just fine on a regular bike or even someone under 150 pds, but on a 500w bike with a 200#+
rider, this is how your wheel wind up with 13g spokes ^ I think any hub bike with 500w or more
should have 12g spokes. I arrived at that conclusion with my juiced CCS. ^
The lacing patterns are fairly standard across bikes, MC's and cars that use spokes. That's the strength of a laced wheel. Where the differences come in are the hub and rim connections. When motorcycle thick spokes, like 12g and 13g, are used, the connection at the hub is different and the rims for heavy gauge spokes are very different than bicycle rims. The rim spoke holes are directional.

Motorcycle rim:
Screenshot_20210410-082708_Chrome.jpg

When heavy gauge spokes are used with standard bicycle rims there are added stresses at the rim because the rim holes aren't directional. The rim forces it to bend in a way it cannot.

Bicycle rim:

Screenshot_20210410-083304_Chrome.jpg

Photo from OP:

Screenshot_20210410-083609_Samsung Internet.jpg

And the connection at the hub is different on a hub drive ebike than it is on a bicycle hub. When using heavy gauge spokes they should be attached to the hub like an MC.

It's really not a problem with the lacing. The problem is mating thick spokes to a hub that's the size of an MC hub and then attaching to a bicycle rim. It adds stresses the spokes and rim are not designed to handle. The larger the hub is, the shorter the spokes are and more stresses are introduced. That's the reason some hub drive ebike rims crack at the spoke holes.

Screenshot_20210410-090208_Chrome.jpg

Broken spokes, cracked rims, elongated hub flange spoke holes, noisy spokes and creaks are common issues. It is poor choice of components and bad design/engineering that causes failures. Thicker spokes can cause more problems. The rim, length of spoke and type of hub needs to be considered when using heavy gauge spokes.

The plug & play kit wheel that replaced the motor above has 12g, never has had a problem. The bike died,
but the wheel´s still good, (asymmetric stays warped frame). My current ´cheap´ bike has 12g laced as 1st pic, has 3000mi+, no problems since getting a more appropriate tire.

Back