Strange charging issues with ST 2

Got the bike back up and running this evening...removed battery one more time, error Drive motor showed up and a few seconds later disappeared and them normal screen with 100% battery. Took the bike for a 10km ride and all seems fine. Not so reassuring that this could happen at any time on my commute. I commute 30km each way. The last 4km of my home commute is up a fairly steep climb

Has happened to me before.
If you left the battery plugged in little too long then the SOC goes just above the 100% limit and the controller shuts off the system.
What I do, I just run the lights 5 mins and it brings the SOC back to readable limit and the bike is fine.

In short, if you leave your battery plugged in for too long, drive error pops up.

Last edited:
Thanks Ravi. That makes sense, my battery was 100% charged and when I used maximum regen it must have caused the issue. Wish I knew there was a solution before pushing the bike uphill for 30 min

Yeah, that happened to me yesterday and I didn't have the battery door key with me. It was a long commute.

Has happened to me before.
If you left the battery plugged in little too long then the SOC goes just above the 100% limit and the controller shuts off the system.
What I do, I just run the lights 5 mins and it brings the SOC back to readable limit and the bike is fine.

In short, if you leave your battery plugged in for too long, drive error pops up.
To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that a software glitch like that wouldn't be patched ASAP. What's the bike firmware upgrade process look like anyway?

Spoke to someone at Stromer USA today and confirmed they are aware of the issue with the drive error and battery error. The next firmware upgrade should hopefully take care of it. A bit surprising to be honest that such a major glitch is taking so long to fix. It should not be necessary to have a key with you at all times just to be sure you can get to the battery to reboot the software... for a 7k bike I would hope for more. Otherwise I love the bike,it is fast and really smooth to ride.

Back