storing my electric bike at the beach

texas dave

We are moving to our home at the beach and our bikes will be stored in our storage unit on the ground floor of our condo. High salt humidity is the norm, even inside. What can I do to keep my bike from decaying in these conditions.

Dave

I'd spray down all moving parts and unpainted metal with LPS3, a brand of spray grease available at grainger & mcmaster. An illinois tool works products.
I saw a couple of bikes badly rusted in my high school buddy's storage unit on the shore at hickock TX.

Last edited:
If your storage unit is enclosed then you might try putting some containers of Damp Rid in there to draw moisture as well.

I've not seen it, but a good friend of mine spends a month in Florida in the winter. He says a 3 year old bike can look like it's 15 years old with all the rust. I'd suggest you change out all the fasteners with stainless steel first. KMC makes a rust buster chain. Touch up any nicks if you have any painted steel parts. Even some aluminum parts will corrode. There are some references to using a silicon spray on Google searches for beach living with a bicycle.

Put covers on the bikes. That's what I do at our place on the Inner Banks in NC . They're stored outside under a deck awning. and the covers eliminated the salt air corrosion. The bikes sit about 100 yds. from the ocean.

Put covers on the bikes. That's what I do at our place on the Inner Banks in NC . They're stored outside under a deck awning. and the covers eliminated the salt air corrosion. The bikes sit about 100 yds. from the ocean.
When's the clambake?

We're about 10 miles from Florida's West coast. We have an attached garage with a door that's closed every evening and opened most days (my "shop" is in here), and a "carport" which has 3 walls and a roof to keep "stuff" out of the sun and rain. From a corrosion standpoint, I've found the "stuff" kept in the garage stays in MUCH better shape than the "stuff" kept in the carport. A dramatic difference! FWIW

I used to store one of my MTB's at my dad's shore house. It wasn't an e-bike though. The biggest problem I had was the disc brake rotors. A film of rust would form almost overnight. I'm not aware of any product that could be used as a coating without affecting the brake action. A guy at the LBS said to just ride the bike once a week or so and let the brake pads clean off the rust.

What about some very large vacuum storage bags, perhaps you could source some big enough to get one wheel and frame in with the handle bars turned and the other wheel loose?

Back