Still going

BTfl

Between my rad mini step through, and rover, over 2000 miles and no problems, just the usual adjusting brakes etc. Just wanting to post this because people say they never hear about the good only the problems people have with their bikes. Chime in if you have had no problems. Thanks

2300 miles on a 2019 radrover. One new tire, one new set of brake pads. I do tighten spokes and clean and lube the chain from time to time.

I have +7400 miles on my two 2016 Radrovers and 2018 Radcity Step-thru. Just the usually routine maintenance and wear/tear stuff like tires, brakes, and tubes for the last few years for the Radrovers. Most other issues were covered by the 1 year warranty period (zero issues or warranty claims with the Radcity).

No trouble here either, but my poor '17 Rad City has very little in the way of moving or electronic parts installed by RAD on it any more, so it's not a bike that I would hold up as a great example of an OEM RAD bike....

Will very likely be purchasing 2 new Rovers this fall - if they ever come back into stock. One (the wife's bike), will be left stock, other than a set of street tires. The second will get those street tires, then be headed down a road similar to the one the 'City went down - only further I think.

I wonder what it the translation of bike miles to regular car miles? Kinda like 1 person year is equal to 7 dog years type of thing? I figured 1000 bike miles is equal to 10,000 car miles for comparison. I can see most current ebikes going 7,000-10,000 miles with routine maintenance with a few ebike electronic issues along the way before major issues hit (or just age out).

I wonder what it the translation of bike miles to regular car miles?

Given that the battery represents a little over a 3rd of the price of the bike $550 out of $1500, I kind of see the battery replacement as a limiter. By the time the battery wears out the bike's performance may be obsolete. Radpower claims 800 charge cycles; I charge about every 30 miles, so I'm expecting to get 24,000 miles out of this bike, which will take me at least 8 years. Dunno what the life expectancy of a geared hub motor is.

Given that the battery represents a little over a 3rd of the price of the bike $550 out of $1500, I kind of see the battery replacement as a limiter. By the time the battery wears out the bike's performance may be obsolete. Radpower claims 800 charge cycles; I charge about every 30 miles, so I'm expecting to get 24,000 miles out of this bike, which will take me at least 8 years. Dunno what the life expectancy of a geared hub motor is.

I'm pretty sure others will argue the point, but that logic is exactly why I have very little interest in more expensive bikes. I can throw a Rad away and buy a new one 3 times, (maybe 4?) getting a battery and technology update/refresh each time, for what some people are willing to pay for 1 bike.

I'm pretty sure others will argue the point, but that logic is exactly why I have very little interest in more expensive bikes. I can throw a Rad away and buy a new one 3 times, (maybe 4?) getting a battery and technology update/refresh each time, for what some people are willing to pay for 1 bike.

That was my original plan with my 16 Radrover to get 2-3 years max and move on to a more expensive ebike. I figured the Radrover would be my break-in ebike into the ebike world to figure out what I wanted/needed for the next one. The Radrover ended up being the 99% solution to my riding type and I haven't had a need to upgrade to a more expensive ebike. I'm probably going to keep riding the rover for another +4 years as long as replacement ebike components are affordable when the rad stuff fails.

Yup. Ride it until something major fails. At this point (about 4 years into it) you are riding a free bike when looking at a big picture that includes much more expensive bikes (that won't/can't do anything the bike you have can't do).

At that point it's generally worth something on the used market when sold for parts. Sell it for whatever you can get for it and go get another one!

My '17 City, like the homebuilts before it, has taught me a ton!

Back