Step through?

I had a step-through for commuting. Easy to up and down, love it! Think I can ride it to 70 yrs old,lol.
Many of us have that 70 year old mark beat handily. I'm 71 and ride every day. Many have me beat too. Use it or loose it!

Many of us have that 70 year old mark beat handily. I'm 71 and ride every day. Many have me beat too. Use it or loose it!
I'm 84, and still riding a step thru. Wouldn't go back to a diamond frame. Because I want a foot (or two) down when I stop, I have the seat set as low as it will go. Not ideal for generating maximum leg power. My next one will have a drop post, so I can have it all.

I am pretty sure I am not the oldest rider on this forum.

I'm 84, and still riding a step thru. Wouldn't go back to a diamond frame. Because I want a foot (or two) down when I stop, I have the seat set as low as it will go. Not ideal for generating maximum leg power. My next one will have a drop post, so I can have it all.

I am pretty sure I am not the oldest rider on this forum.
At 75, I ride a step thru for the same reasons. I too would like a dropper but I use a suspension seat post. So far, I haven't found a quality suspension dropper post. PNW makes one that isn't bad but IMO, the suspension is nowhere near the comfort level of Kinekt, Redshift & Thudbuster.

I use the tilting method to mount my Trek conventional bikes. When testing e-bikes however I noticed how much heavier they are. Tilting too far can result in it getting away from you, especially on uneven ground. As a result, both my wife and I chose step thru models.

With the e-bikes, we ride further and stay out longer than we did on our old Treks. As a result, we tend to carry more gear which compounds the weight issue when tipping the bike.

I no longer do any serious single track or downhill and the decision has worked out well. I ride mostly gravel trails, some of which are pretty rough, and I haven't had any issues with the step thru frame.

It's really a personal choice however. Try riding a few and judge for yourself. Keep in mind, just because you can throw a leg over a diamond frame now (tilted or not), think about the future.

The step thru topic has been discussed at great length here in the past. Try doing a search on both "step through" and "step thru". There is a lot of useful information in these posts.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!
Sensible post ^ well said ..I got my very first E Bike which arrived other day and went for a step thru as my non ebike i used for many yrs
was not step thru and i used to tilt it to get leg over , and im not getting any younger and have had base of back issues
why i went for step thru ebike , as last year whilst tilting my non ebike towards me to get on bike after a tough ride
getting to my destination and about to come home after some hrs away , and throwing my get leg across the bar on bike
and my back almost caved in on me practically , i had to walk and then ride bike in which was tough after a long day and problems
with my back aches and actually i had this happen odd times in house doing nothing much really , base of my back would give in on me
but this got better with taking vitamin D has helped , and so still cycling odd times , but weather in Scotland and UK in general can be harsh
vast majority of months and days and Scotland is very hilly and on a non e bike tiresome and tough cycling

Once seen a guy walking way in front with his bike , i thought ill try catch him up and did do , i stopped spoke to this guy he was
from the Netherlands and his first words to me was " Its all hilly here in Scotland , i said ye and Netherlands i knew where he was from is all on the flat
as been several times and have had a non ebike which was Dutch Cruiser 3 speed Sturmey archer gears way back
Holland or Netherlands is in a way a cyclists dream especially with non ebikes .. but not as much a difference now with e bikes although not all have moneys to purchase ebikes as they arent cheap to purcahse although today are getting more so , anyhow i decided now was time for an e bike
and just went around block on it today the stepthru , and was a pleasureable ride in comparison to my heavy non ebike
ye the ebike is heavy as battery is heavy, but so much easier and smoother ride with use of power in battery to glide u along
and also does go faster the e bike fir sure .

Looking forward to tmorrow when 5 Amp adapter i sent for arrives, as is its final day of arrival tomorrow
so as i can charge the battery for its very first time to near full , so as i can go on a longer ride .

Only one thing is id like controller put into English as opposed to German for myself any help appreciated .

Last edited:
Sensible post ^ well said ..I got my very first E Bike which arrived other day and went for a step thru as my non ebike i used for many yrs
was not step thru and i used to tilt it to get leg over , and im not getting any younger and have had base of back issues
why i went for step thru ebike , as last year whilst tilting my non ebike towards me to get on bike after a tough ride
getting to my destination and about to come home after some hrs away , and throwing my get leg across the bar on bike
and my back almost caved in on me practically , i had to walk and then ride bike in which was tough after a long day and problems
with my back aches and actually i had this happen odd times in house doing nothing much really , base of my back would give in on me
but this got better with taking vitamin D has helped , and so still cycling odd times , but weather in Scotland and UK in general can be harsh
vast majority of months and days and Scotland is very hilly and on a non e bike tiresome and tough cycling

Once seen a guy walking way in front with his bike , i thought ill try catch him up and did do , i stopped spoke to this guy he was
from the Netherlands and his first words to me was " Its all hilly here in Scotland , i said ye and Netherlands i knew where he was from is all on the flat
as been several times and have had a non ebike which was Dutch Cruiser 3 speed Sturmey archer gears way back
Holland or Netherlands is in a way a cyclists dream especially with non ebikes .. but not as much a difference now with e bikes although not all have moneys to purchase ebikes as they arent cheap to purcahse although today are getting more so , anyhow i decided now was time for an e bike
and just went around block on it today the stepthru , and was a pleasureable ride in comparison to my heavy non ebike
ye the ebike is heavy as battery is heavy, but so much easier and smoother ride with use of power in battery to glide u along
and also does go faster the e bike fir sure .

Looking forward to tmorrow when 5 Amp adapter i sent for arrives, as is its final day of arrival tomorrow
so as i can charge the battery for its very first time to near full , so as i can go on a longer ride .

Only one thing is id like controller put into English as opposed to German for myself any help appreciated .
Absolutely agree with the above. Last November I went to Propel and had selected two R&Ms, one high step, one midstep. I quickly eliminated the twin battery high step; I almost ended up on the floor as I tilted the bike. I tried the mid step but wasn't completely happy. My "matchmaker" suggested I try her low step Nevo 3. Once I got over the macho "girls bike" thing (about 15 seconds into the ride) I was sure that at my age and the weight of the bike, the low step Nevo 3 was definitely for me. I have absolutely no regrets. The bike is stable and easy to mount and dismount.

I ended up with step thru as cross bar version was out of stock and months away. No regrets, I typically bring my leg through and scoot to stop and repeat to get going some times. Great when touring with load on back.

Main appeal of crossbar was more mounting points. Step thru has only one and which I can't use normally as car's bike rack clamps there.

Just wondering if you have tried this item. Do you hang the ebIke from it? Are the these types of car racks sturdy enough to handle the weight of an ebike?
Frame adaptors typical have a maximum rated weight limit of 35 pounds, so you will likely need to take off the battery even if you have a lighter electric bike. Or you could use two joined by tight bungee.
This actually happened. I guy brought me his diamond frame electric bike. He asked me to remove the top tube to make it a step through.

Just wondering if you have tried this item. Do you hang the ebIke from it? Are the these types of car racks sturdy enough to handle the weight of an ebike?
Yes, I have the product I linked. I use it to carry my 65# Pedego step thru bikes. I use bungees to ease the load on the stress points when hanging on a rack. I've had no issues so far.

Please note that all bikes are different. Some may not tolerate the load on the seat post & stem as well as others.

Yes, I have the product I linked. I use it to carry my 65# Pedego step thru bikes. I use bungees to ease the load on the stress points when hanging on a rack. I've had no issues so far.

Please note that all bikes are different. Some may not tolerate the load on the seat post & stem as well as others.
That is true. Good Point! Bungee can be wrapped around the handlebar and through the fork. Also through the saddle and around the seat stays.

This product is handy to carry step thru bikes on a rack designed for crossbar bikes:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...1r-a_nrNVZ3xNXsGVrY7XfJg7kKMahOIaAkvrEALw_wcB

Cheaper versions are available on Amazon.
I've used the cheaper Walmart sourced (don't remember the brand, maybe Bell?) frame adapters for years on my wife's bikes without any problems other than the old versions scratch the handlebar stem and seat post. I'm going to buy one of these updated versions for her bike, they look more secure. I use cam straps as additional insurance, I don't trust bungees to hold up under much stress if something fails.

edit:
this is the kind I have used
1656031513274.png

the plastic coating on the seat post hook breaks down over time and the front securing pin scratches the handlebar stem which is why I haven't used it with wife's newest bike. Hoping that the newer version is less damaging

I ordered a Yakima version which is rated at 45# per manufacturer

Correction, I cancelled the Yakima and ordered the Thule version which looks a little better and is rated at 50#

Last edited:
This product is handy to carry step thru bikes on a rack designed for crossbar bikes:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...1r-a_nrNVZ3xNXsGVrY7XfJg7kKMahOIaAkvrEALw_wcB

Cheaper versions are available on Amazon.

Thanks for feed back but I use platform rack see link. The cross bar you provided link for might work but not worth extra hassle, easier to bungie drink bottles to top of bikes rack when riding. Once you've used platform rack there is no going back to fork type rack. They are expensive but make transporting bikes a breeze.

In the Netherlands they ride bikes for transportation. It is not a toy or a sporting good. The omafiets bike is ridden in all weather and by men. This guy is probably 6' 4". The 28" wheel comes to his knee. I have an electric one of these that I am selling to a large masculine guy today. He does not want ride around to the various beer gardens in town in a car. Or to do a quick errand like to the hardware store or post office. The bike will be much better than a car. For people who carry a kid or grandchild on the back, you do not need to kick the kid swinging your leg over. You just step through.

View attachment 103158

The Gazelle is Dutch and comes in a Mid-Step version, up to 56cm. It does not look feminine. Just practical.
I used to own a Dutch cruiser bike with bar along as in male version which i now dont go for with bar along top
was handy the bar along for carrying my fishing rod , as went fishing a lot for trout in Scotland way back often cycling
in the country side and passing odd deer on the route :)

The 3 gear sturmey archer gears this was also but bike actually was a bit too big in size frame me being 5ft 9"
in height and bike was for a 6 footer really but i was fit them days and tilted bike to get on
and got many glances from passers by with a peep of their car horn as was bit them days unusual a Dutch bike in Scotland
no doubt more of them today , and i rode bike which was also heavy in weight in a hilly country
often in Scotland in the UK .

But hey i was young and fit them days more so , and some yrs after a younger guy kept at me
to sell him it , which i sold cheap to him , and got another bike which was a Raleigh Freedom 600 built in the dutch style of the breaking system
in a way although bike looked different it was similar for breaking , as although looked like a traditional British bike the gearing
was inside the hub which i preferred as not so much in maintenance i feel needed , and i had this bike for yrs now
and well looked after and still have , although i just now very recently purchased my first E Bike in which are much better
e bikes although very early days for me with ebike and time shall tell but already that one wee ride around block
tells me they are so much better and easier to ride , and much smoother running bikes .

One thing can be annoying is not on bikes but many cars , vans , buses etc when cycling and they pass the smell of petrol / gas fumes
in the face as we are swallowing all them fumes in sadly and quicker all is electric the better for all in the future for heatlth matters

oh now have i began something :)
i like best , although i only have been around block once since i got it
since ive received Eu to Uk adapter and fired battery right up at the ready for my next long ride and look forward to such soon .

3 gear sturmey archer
This one is not a step through but is in that classic European style of a Pashley. Ideal for Scotland with fenders. It is a three-speed with a coaster brake and goes 45Kph. It passes cars at a rate of 5:1 because they are stuck in traffic. Unlike Stefan's mass produced, vulgaris Chinese bike, this one is hand crafted in Europe. The sticker on @Stefan Mikes' bike says 'Made in China'. And his cuts-out at 15Mph. A dud. Confirmation from @Gionnirocket appreciated.

Attachments

• CremeUno3f.JPG
    CremeUno3f.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 135
  • CremeUno3i.JPG
    CremeUno3i.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 127
  • CremeUno3q.JPG
    CremeUno3q.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 122
  • CremeUno3k.JPG
    CremeUno3k.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 131
The Thule top bar is a big step up from the $12 Walmart Allen Sports version that I've used on my wife's bikes for years. I don't have a nearby REI but I see that it is on sale and $10 cheaper from REI than Amazon. Good purchase.
1656184916253.png

Back