Start speed

Jtindle3

I just teceived my new Pace 500 and love it. I to have a problem with having to.peddle the bike from stop before the assest or throttle kicks in and when it does it is too fast. This should be quick factory fix. This is also a safety issue . Love the bike

Hi Jtindle3, I’m in my second year with the Pace 500 and when you get used to the bike, you will love it. When you turn the power on, it defaults to PAS1 and when you start to pedal, it gets up to 12mph very fast. This could be a problem if people or other bikes are close. I overcome this by going down to PAS 0 On start up and start to pedal first. It will be difficult to get going if you are on a high speed. To overcome this, before you come to a stop, while pedaling, bring the lever down to 1, 2 or three. The throttle is not on command, so you just have to pedal about a quarter revolution before it kicks in. Develop these habits and it won’t be a problem. Good luck

Hi Jtindle3, I’m in my second year with the Pace 500 and when you get used to the bike, you will love it. When you turn the power on, it defaults to PAS1 and when you start to pedal, it gets up to 12mph very fast. This could be a problem if people or other bikes are close. I overcome this by going down to PAS 0 On start up and start to pedal first. It will be difficult to get going if you are on a high speed. To overcome this, before you come to a stop, while pedaling, bring the lever down to 1, 2 or three. The throttle is not on command, so you just have to pedal about a quarter revolution before it kicks in. Develop these habits and it won’t be a problem. Good luck
Thanks for advice. It is preyty hard to do that with a stop on a hill with traffic. A TODsystem would be easier. My wife could never do that. She is 78 and i am 83

You are absolutely correct and I didn’t mean to minimize what you saying, because I’m approaching 75 and in decent shape but on a hill, it’s nearly impossible to get started even in the in #1 position. if that’s going to be a big problem, then go with a bike with throttle on command. Good luck in your search.

This is not a quick factory fix. Controller needs to be re-programmed to allow instant throttle and PAS. Not everybody would want an instant throttle or PAS. Basically, you would need a different controller, very likely with its own compatible display.

Bolton Bikes sell such a programmable controller with display to install on RAD bikes but I haven't heard of anybody installing it on Aventon - technically should be possible. It allows to set throttle and PAS to either instant or with a delay, if my memory doesn't fail me. RAD users would know.

Hi Alex, please keep us informed about that. I have the Aventon and have gotten used to the delay, but would probably be interested if it’s not too costly.

Hi, Bolton kit costs $220: RAD upgrade kit.
It can be used with varying motors but attaching the controller box on Aventon Pace will be challenging. Controller-battery connector will likely need to be replaced. This is some work.

Video instruction is at the bottom right. Disregard 2 displays in the video, - I think they now supply only color display.
Settings that are missing on most bikes and can be added with this kit, begin at time stamp 4.35:

C4 - set throttle to instant or after you moved the pedals.
P7 - set cruise control on throttle (you only set it there, no need to open P7 screen later to start or stop cruise control).
C14 - increase or reduce PAS power - this will probably affect max speed as well. Aventon already has this feature only differently - you change max speed and speed/power of each PAS level changes too. If you only want to limit max speed on this kit without limiting PAS1 through 5, this can be done on another screen, not with C parameter.

Last edited:
Back