Stabilizers on E-bike

Ebikepam

Region
USA
Has anyone used Stabilizers (training wheels) on an e-bike? I have a weak left leg so am fearful of falling on that side. I have a specialized e-bike. I just started looking around and found a company in the UK, Easy Pedal Bikes. They have a version called Swinging Wheels, which looks like it might work. These stabilizers can be removed easily to put the bike on a rack and they seem to give a little to make turning easier. Thank you for any info and advise.

a weak leg should not effect your balance. but really if your that worried it would be time to go for a recumbent trike. training wheels are really lousy for balance anyway kids that use them take far longer to learn to ride a bike. my granddaughter learned to ride a bike and she is not even 4.

I believe that fixed training wheels mounted on an adult bike would lead to it quickly tipping over. The only reason they work on a child's bike is because the overall height/weight of the vehicle/rider is relatively low. Watch a little tyke turn and see the rear wheel come off the pavement. Imagine that happening with a motor driving the rear wheel.

The Easy Swinging Wheels use a spring, but I wonder if that will take care of most leaning situations. I suppose it would work at near walking speeds, but I suspect it will work opposite of what we've learned to do as bike riders, and actually increase your potential for falling. I guess you have to try one out, but I also think a three or four wheel bike is better to prevent falls.

Has anyone used Stabilizers (training wheels) on an e-bike? I have a weak left leg so am fearful of falling on that side. I have a specialized e-bike. I just started looking around and found a company in the UK, Easy Pedal Bikes. They have a version called Swinging Wheels, which looks like it might work. These stabilizers can be removed easily to put the bike on a rack and they seem to give a little to make turning easier. Thank you for any info and advise.
What year and model of Specialized bike do you have? when I look at the design of the stabilizers above I can’t see why they wouldn’t work well if you ride at moderate speeds on well surfaced roads. Where I might have concerns is how they take to curbs and potholes. Other than that I think it looks like a reasonable design. Of course Specialized wouldn’t approve but they’re looking out for their indemnity more than your health.

Update: Had a closer look, it depends on the bicycle if it will mount or not, mainly because it requires a conventional axle to mount on which your Specialized may not be equipped with. Other than that it seems to be a pretty clever product- there’s a couple other brands out there too. In any case I would suggest adopting your current bike as a first try vs. something like a trike.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. I know that the best for stability would be a trike, but I have a year and a half old e-bike and a trike is difficult to transport. A recumbent bike also would not fit well on my rack with another bike. Also difficult to get up and down from. I do not really have a balance problem and have ridden bikes all my life so don't need the "training aspect". I am mainly concerned with the bike leaning to the left on turns or stopping if I can't direct it to the right side fast enough. My leg is not strong enough to support the weight of the bike to catch me or even maneuverable enough to get off the pedal. I will never be a speed rider so would always take corners slow. Wish I could find someone with experience with the swing wheels or a different stabilizer.
Thank you for the help.

Thank you for the input. I know that the best for stability would be a trike, but I have a year and a half old e-bike and a trike is difficult to transport. A recumbent bike also would not fit well on my rack with another bike. Also difficult to get up and down from. I do not really have a balance problem and have ridden bikes all my life so don't need the "training aspect". I am mainly concerned with the bike leaning to the left on turns or stopping if I can't direct it to the right side fast enough. My leg is not strong enough to support the weight of the bike to catch me or even maneuverable enough to get off the pedal. I will never be a speed rider so would always take corners slow. Wish I could find someone with experience with the swing wheels or a different stabilizer.
Thank you for the help.
Hi, I think modify your existing bike! The problem I’m looking at is you probably have a thru axle on a recent Specialized. That axle design does not have any exposed thread to mount the wheels. However, you can get a trailer axle with threads on the left side. What I would consider doing is simply fitting the left side only with the stabilization wheel. Of course it might require a bike shop to help you, you’ll have to modify the bracket of the stabilizing wheel (basically cutting off the right side). Since I don’t have the physical product this is just a guess. But I would suggest contacting the company and explaining what bike you have and see if they have any solutions. I personally think you’re on the right track.

Back