ST2 Commuter

Anthony

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum as a member but have found it very useful in learning about ebikes. I though I would help and share some of my experiences with my ST2.

• I've tested the Specialized Turbo, ST1 & own the ST2
  • I use the ST2 most of the time to commute to work about 7 miles each way
  • By car 20-40 minutes, normal bike ave 20-30 ave about 25 min, ST2 15-20 ave is 16 min
I will post more later about more details that you don't read about in most of the reviews.

Best,
Anthony

Sounds like you are blowing past a lot of traffic! Will be interesting when long distance stats start to come in. I'll probably demo an ST2 (local shop just got a few), but I'm quite happy with my full suspension Haibike so I'll have to bring cookies and beer in compensation. -S

Here is some real world things I wanted to share. Most of the videos just don't go into stuff I cared about. I wanted to know about comfort, style, speed, effort and a few other personal things you could only get by riding it daily. Here are a few thoughts that I think someone might fine helpful.

This is from about 4 hours on the bike 90 miles ridden.
  • Very solid bike without being to ridged. So much more comfortable than my road bike. I love the tires, much better than slicks. Very solid contact with the road and these Big Bens don't track in groves and make cracks, uneven pavement seem like non factors during my ride. This makes my ride so much more fun . On my road bike I was alway looking for road hazards.
  • I work in a good sized office and word go around about my bike and people thought I was a bit nuts on spending that kind of money on a bike but when I showed up with it everyone that has seen it has been blown away on how good it looks. The Black St2 does not show well in pics but in person it looks all business. Comments like "bat mans bike" "tank" "special forces" and "bad ass". I have a 69 Camaro and this bike gets that kind of reaction. Since I ride with jeans, boots, or converse and CHOME jackets you can have a masculine look riding this bike. Other ebike scream DORK this was considered and style is important to me.
  • I'm in good shape and on my 8 mile ride I can have this bike pegged most the time doing 26-28 mph my whole ride. In the past wind, hills, cars, stop signs all were a pain. Well wind & hills are not an issue anymore, zero issue! I can out run most cars from a stop so eating exhaust gas is mostly avoided. Cars for the most part in a 25mph zone are having to stay back and don't have much opportunity to pass the bike is that quick. So far no road rag from drivers so just be respectful and I think all will be good. Most of my time I just use the 3 tallest gears and the shifting is money on the downshifts and upshifts with no clunks, rattles etc. Kinda like my motorcyle in many ways.
  • I was wondering about the weight as this think is close to 60 lbs. But other than moving it around which is not bad (happy I don't have stairs) it has not been and issue and only make this bike ride better than my other bikes. Because this bike is solid and has some weight it rides really nice. Kinda like a "touring "car with just enough of a sport feel with out having to get beat up. This bike is really easy on my joints & muscles. I'm a real active guy so I'm either surfing, softball or at the gym and I didn't want my bike to drain me. Now I can ride to work and hit the gym at lunch even on "leg" day. Most the time I can have this bike maxed and my heart rate is maybe at 100 beats per minute. I show up to work in a jacket not sweating much. I can still can wear a dress shirt not needing to change after my ride. In the past I didn't wear as nice as clothes, wore clip in shoes and needed to change my shirt so this is a major improvement in my day to day work/ride lifesyle.
  • Riding at night is killer with the lights, I feel way safer than with my road bike as I know this bike eats up shitty roads. Most of the time I can use the whole lane day or night which makes a huge difference in the quality (road surface) of my ride and I feel much safer as cars can see me better as I'm not as likely to blend with parked cars.

Here is some real world things I wanted to share. Most of the videos just don't go into stuff I cared about. I wanted to know about comfort, style, speed, effort and a few other personal things you could only get by riding it daily. Here are a few thoughts that I think someone might fine helpful.

This is from about 4 hours on the bike 90 miles ridden.
  • Very solid bike without being to ridged. So much more comfortable than my road bike. I love the tires, much better than slicks. Very solid contact with the road and these Big Bens don't track in groves and make cracks, uneven pavement seem like non factors during my ride. This makes my ride so much more fun . On my road bike I was alway looking for road hazards.
  • I work in a good sized office and word go around about my bike and people thought I was a bit nuts on spending that kind of money on a bike but when I showed up with it everyone that has seen it has been blown away on how good it looks. The Black St2 does not show well in pics but in person it looks all business. Comments like "bat mans bike" "tank" "special forces" and "bad ass". I have a 69 Camaro and this bike gets that kind of reaction. Since I ride with jeans, boots, or converse and CHOME jackets you can have a masculine look riding this bike. Other ebike scream DORK this was considered and style is important to me.
  • I'm in good shape and on my 8 mile ride I can have this bike pegged most the time doing 26-28 mph my whole ride. In the past wind, hills, cars, stop signs all were a pain. Well wind & hills are not an issue anymore, zero issue! I can out run most cars from a stop so eating exhaust gas is mostly avoided. Cars for the most part in a 25mph zone are having to stay back and don't have much opportunity to pass the bike is that quick. So far no road rag from drivers so just be respectful and I think all will be good. Most of my time I just use the 3 tallest gears and the shifting is money on the downshifts and upshifts with no clunks, rattles etc. Kinda like my motorcyle in many ways.
  • I was wondering about the weight as this think is close to 60 lbs. But other than moving it around which is not bad (happy I don't have stairs) it has not been and issue and only make this bike ride better than my other bikes. Because this bike is solid and has some weight it rides really nice. Kinda like a "touring "car with just enough of a sport feel with out having to get beat up. This bike is really easy on my joints & muscles. I'm a real active guy so I'm either surfing, softball or at the gym and I didn't want my bike to drain me. Now I can ride to work and hit the gym at lunch even on "leg" day. Most the time I can have this bike maxed and my heart rate is maybe at 100 beats per minute. I show up to work in a jacket not sweating much. I can still can wear a dress shirt not needing to change after my ride. In the past I didn't wear as nice as clothes, wore clip in shoes and needed to change my shirt so this is a major improvement in my day to day work/ride lifesyle.
  • Riding at night is killer with the lights, I feel way safer than with my road bike as I know this bike eats up shitty roads. Most of the time I can use the whole lane day or night which makes a huge difference in the quality (road surface) of my ride and I feel much safer as cars can see me better as I'm not as likely to blend with parked cars.

Good observations. The first thing I did was remove the city kit as I think it makes the bike look so much better (more raw and edgy). Besides here in southern Cali there is literally no need for them.
I feel like there is so much more power potential in these motors/ batteries, that we can't utilize.

The fog gets thick up in Nor Cal and it is almost rain like so I'm just going to roll with it like this for now. Normally I don't like the look of racks but sometimes my bag is full and I might need to bring a 6 pack or ice to friends house this summer. This is a new option and since it came on the bike I will test it out. What did you do with the electrical since you removed the rack that holds the light? Show me a pick of your bike without the fenders!

OK Ill snap one after work today. Without the city kit I still keep the bar mounted headlight but the rear is gone since it mounts to the fender.

Nice! thanks. It was still wet today on my ride, I was thinking how much of a roster tail I would throw at 28mph after our chat yesterday.

Nice! thanks. It was still wet today on my ride, I was thinking how much of a roster tail I would throw at 28mph after our chat yesterday.

Here it is
IMG_7179.JPG

Here is the ST1 Platinum I rode for about 6 days, every bit as capable a bike.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Tire Pressure up date.

Ok well after running super high PSI 48 for a week, I thought I would drop it down to 40f -35 rear and play with it. It was so much better in many ways. Traction, ride, and handling all were improved. I did some research and I found that 2 bar or 30PSI is the recommended PSI from Stromer for the ST2- I dropped it down and went on my 10 mile ride this am and I like it even more so now I'm at 30 f & r. I'm only 150 lbs so other riders might want to try + or -.

Does anyone have any feed back from their experience?

I think life was testing me this week.
I had 2 flats and all were due to tire liners pinching the tube. Both were slow leaks so I could ride to the destination and change the tubes.
415 miles and going strong.

I had 2 flats and all were due to tire liners pinching the tube. Both were slow leaks so I could ride to the destination and change the tubes.
Oh yes the caveat of low tire pressure. BTW - I've had two slow leaks in 3 thousand miles with liners. Both were composed of a thin wire that penetrated the liner, I'm guessing it is from a wire brush on some kind of rig used to sweep the trail. -S

Is changing the tires as difficult as the ST1 (as a few owners have mentioned)?

Back