ST1 X Review

nwroller

I thought I would give my ST1x review as it has been around a month and 200 miles since I received it in the mail. Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone will find all the information useful.

ORDER:
I decided to place an order with an E-bike shop instead of buying from my local shop because of the massive savings I received. I ordered the Sport (high bar) in 22" and charcoal. The shop upgraded me to the ST2 battery (814wh) and provided a body float seat post for a small charge. I got an email from Stromer the day after I placed the order to setup my account/app as the shop tied my bike to my phone number before it was shipped. It took about 12 days in total to get the bike, but there was a holiday weekend that increased that time. 7-10 days is probably reasonable expectation. Saving the 10% Seattle sales tax was also a contributing factor as they included shipping for free. All said and done very happy with the price and the shop I ordered from and would not have done it different.

RECEIVING:
The bike is in a large box that weights over 60 lbs. Because of this there was a local delivery company that did the final transit. Due to this it took an extra weekend to get to me because I had to schedule the delivery. They showed up in a 18-wheeler which caused the driver to have some issues blocking traffic on a busy road to hand truck the bike to my door. But all arrived safely and he wheeled it into my garage.

The bike came nearly fully assembled. I needed to straighten the handle bars (mm allen wrench) which was pretty easy (they are shipped at 90 degrees so the box is flatter). The peddles also needed to be screwed on - the right side goes on traditionally, the left is reverse threaded. I swapped out the seat post (cannot remember if the seat was on the bike or not when shipped), and I was all ready to go. Wheel reflectors, the charger were also in the box with manuals. The first charge took about 2-3 hours to be fully charged.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
So much fun. I had tried out electric bikes before, but this was my first Speed Pedelec and really glad I went that direction, it is addicting. Some people say you work just as hard on an e-bike, but it is hard to explain why. I don't burn as many calories, but your muscles are still sore. You want to work hard just to maintain the speed and always feel the boost. So you work as hard, but over a shorter period of time because you are going so much faster.

The ST1x has a boost/throttle - kind of. If you hold the [+] button it will move you without peddling. But I have yet to have a situation where I could not peddle faster than the boost. On a flat it will get you to about 10-12 mph, on a decent hill you are lucky to get half that. In all cases I can get the bike to go at least 20%-100% faster by peddling at a moderate rate. The brakes squeak a bit (see the EBR videos, sounds the exact same) but they are solid. I am 6'3" 220lbs. The frame size is pretty good for me, but if you are 6'5" I think you might find it a bit too small - and they don't make it any bigger.

I have had several friends take it for a spin, they're all in love with it.

200 MILE REVIEW:
I have had a few issues so lets get those out of the way. About 20 miles in the right peddle was wobbling considerably. I took the peddle off and the aluminum threads were stripped. I put the peddle on so it is possible it was something I did, but I am pretty good with tools and am pretty sure it was a factory defect. I called the bike shop I ordered from and they shipped an entirely new bottom bracket and crankset. It took around 7 days to get that and another 2-3 for a bike shop to do the work (I did not have the right tools). It is working perfectly now. It was all done under warranty through the bike shop I purchased from - I d not call Stromer. All I had to do was send in photos and provide a write up. I think this was more to make sure they sent the right part than not trusting me.

At 100 miles I got a rear flat. Of course I didn't have a spare, pump or tools with me (Murphy!) so my wife picked me up and I swapped the tube with the same kind that came with the bike. I now have a trunk bag with a spare tube, tools and a pump. All of which I had, just not with me at the time.

I have a few complaints as well. The bike creeks a lot. Not sure what exactly is making the sound, but it sounds like tapping on a carbon frame (there is no Carbon), and it bothers me, but does not seem to an issue. Could be that I am too fat. The drivetrain is a little bit clunky. It does not shift as crisp as I would hope. Again, not an issue, but it bothers me. I have learned that if I am not in the right gear it will either not shift right away or will shift really hard. So as I come to a stop I move up a few sprockets to a larger one, and then gradually down shift as I pick up speed. I rarely ever use the largest cogs as with the motor it is rarely needed (even in 10-12% grade)

Absolutely love riding this bike. I rarely take it out of assist level 3 just because it is so much fun. I ride about 14 miles round trip to work and it takes me about 20-25 minutes each way - my commute is across a valley so steep hills going each way with some flat in the middle and a hand full of signals that have a long rotation. I average about 16-20mph. During peak traffic I can easily make the trip quicker than I could in a car. If I took it really easy I could probably get away without showering at work, but the way I ride I always sweat a bit. I charge it every other day and usually have about 50% battery left after the 28 miles. I have not rode it outside of commuting yet, so I have yet to test the range.

OMNI is alright. Signal strength is terrible and does not work from my house. I have a secure bike cage at work so I have only used the electric lock once. I don't really like the screens they have to choose from. I find myself switching between them on a regular basis. I think they could improve this quite a bit - perhaps ill get an update. Stromer - If you are reading this, reach out to me and I'll provide a bunch of feedback.

I added a mirror and upgraded the handle grips.

SUMMARY:
I would buy it again in a heartbeat. 28mph is a must - glad I got that 35 mph would be even better. Get a body float - my bumpy broken asphalt paths would have killed me without it.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has them - I probably could have written twice as much. I plan to do some videos as there is not a lot of info on the ST1x and I can walk through some of the above in more detail.

Hey nwroller, you need to take your bike to a dealer ASAP to have the creaking checked out. Have a look at my thread... it turned out to be the motor wasn't seated and the creaking was the motor scraping against the frame.

Do yourself a favor and go to a reputable bike shop for a checkup. We build a lot of new bikes and most come assembled except for the handlebars and front wheel. Our master mechanics spend about 90-120 minutes to build a bike. We find that wheels aren't true, spoke tension is off, derailleurs need adjusting or alignment, and we haven't seen disk brakes that are properly adjusted and don't rub out of the box. Then you need to make sure that your crank is greased and torqued properly (usually loose), and that your stem is property adjusted (usually too tight). We then go through and torque/tighten every bolt we can find. We make sure that lubrication and grease are properly dispensed so that the bike is quiet and does not rattle or creak. Lastly, we grease the seatpost, and adjust brake/shift levers/grips for optimum position. Most of this stuff is simply not done by the average consumer as they do not have the tools or knowledge. I guarantee that price you pay for a checkup will be worth it. Stromer's come with a self diagnostic and we always ran a test prior to delivering to the customer.

The sound is coming from the front fork. But I'll have it checked out. Thanks!!
Yes exactly mine was the same, sounds like it is in the front. Originally I thought it was something loose with the fork. Wish 86 and still kicking was rear by, I think there were lots of minor adjustments needed but I don't know much about bikes.

I thought I would give my ST1x review as it has been around a month and 200 miles since I received it in the mail. Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone will find all the information useful.

ORDER:
I decided to place an order with an E-bike shop instead of buying from my local shop because of the massive savings I received. I ordered the Sport (high bar) in 22" and charcoal. The shop upgraded me to the ST2 battery (814wh) and provided a body float seat post for a small charge. I got an email from Stromer the day after I placed the order to setup my account/app as the shop tied my bike to my phone number before it was shipped. It took about 12 days in total to get the bike, but there was a holiday weekend that increased that time. 7-10 days is probably reasonable expectation. Saving the 10% Seattle sales tax was also a contributing factor as they included shipping for free. All said and done very happy with the price and the shop I ordered from and would not have done it different.

RECEIVING:
The bike is in a large box that weights over 60 lbs. Because of this there was a local delivery company that did the final transit. Due to this it took an extra weekend to get to me because I had to schedule the delivery. They showed up in a 18-wheeler which caused the driver to have some issues blocking traffic on a busy road to hand truck the bike to my door. But all arrived safely and he wheeled it into my garage.

The bike came nearly fully assembled. I needed to straighten the handle bars (mm allen wrench) which was pretty easy (they are shipped at 90 degrees so the box is flatter). The peddles also needed to be screwed on - the right side goes on traditionally, the left is reverse threaded. I swapped out the seat post (cannot remember if the seat was on the bike or not when shipped), and I was all ready to go. Wheel reflectors, the charger were also in the box with manuals. The first charge took about 2-3 hours to be fully charged.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
So much fun. I had tried out electric bikes before, but this was my first Speed Pedelec and really glad I went that direction, it is addicting. Some people say you work just as hard on an e-bike, but it is hard to explain why. I don't burn as many calories, but your muscles are still sore. You want to work hard just to maintain the speed and always feel the boost. So you work as hard, but over a shorter period of time because you are going so much faster.

The ST1x has a boost/throttle - kind of. If you hold the [+] button it will move you without peddling. But I have yet to have a situation where I could not peddle faster than the boost. On a flat it will get you to about 10-12 mph, on a decent hill you are lucky to get half that. In all cases I can get the bike to go at least 20%-100% faster by peddling at a moderate rate. The brakes squeak a bit (see the EBR videos, sounds the exact same) but they are solid. I am 6'3" 220lbs. The frame size is pretty good for me, but if you are 6'5" I think you might find it a bit too small - and they don't make it any bigger.

200 MILE REVIEW:
I have had a few issues so lets get those out of the way. About 20 miles in the right peddle was wobbling considerably. I took the peddle off and the aluminum threads were stripped. I put the peddle on so it is possible it was something I did, but I am pretty good with tools and am pretty sure it was a factory defect. I called the bike shop I ordered from and they shipped an entirely new bottom bracket and crankset. It took around 7 days to get that and another 2-3 for a bike shop to do the work (I did not have the right tools). It is working perfectly now. It was all done under warranty through the bike shop I purchased from - I d not call Stromer. All I had to do was send in photos and provide a write up. I think this was more to make sure they sent the right part than not trusting me.

At 100 miles I got a rear flat. Of course I didn't have a spare, pump or tools with me (Murphy!) so my wife picked me up and I swapped the tube with the same kind that came with the bike. I now have a trunk bag with a spare tube, tools and a pump. All of which I had, just not with me at the time.

I have a few complaints as well. The bike creeks a lot. Not sure what exactly is making the sound, but it sounds like tapping on a carbon frame (there is no Carbon), and it bothers me, but does not seem to an issue. Could be that I am too fat. The drivetrain is a little bit clunky. It does not shift as crisp as I would hope. Again, not an issue, but it bothers me. I have learned that if I am not in the right gear it will either not shift right away or will shift really hard. So as I come to a stop I move up a few sprockets to a larger one, and then gradually down shift as I pick up speed. I rarely ever use the largest cogs as with the motor it is rarely needed (even in 10-12% grade)

Absolutely love riding this bike. I rarely take it out of assist level 3 just because it is so much fun. I ride about 14 miles round trip to work and it takes me about 20-25 minutes each way - my commute is across a valley so steep hills going each way with some flat in the middle and a hand full of signals that have a long rotation. I average about 16-20mph. During peak traffic I can easily make the trip quicker than I could in a car. If I took it really easy I could probably get away without showering at work, but the way I ride I always sweat a bit. I charge it every other day and usually have about 50% battery left after the 28 miles. I have not rode it outside of commuting yet, so I have yet to test the range.

OMNI is alright. Signal strength is terrible and does not work from my house. I have a secure bike cage at work so I have only used the electric lock once. I don't really like the screens they have to choose from. I find myself switching between them on a regular basis. I think they could improve this quite a bit - perhaps ill get an update. Stromer - If you are reading this, reach out to me and I'll provide a bunch of feedback.

SUMMARY:
I would buy it again in a heartbeat. 28mph is a must - glad I got that 35 mph would be even better. Get a body float - my bumpy broken asphalt paths would have killed me without it.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has them - I probably could have written twice as much. I plan to do some videos as there is not a lot of info on the ST1x and I can walk through some of the above in more detail.

"86 and still kicking has got it right"...good advice and well worth the money. I made arrangements with our local bike dealer to service the mechanicals on the bike before purchasing (ST-2), as I too bought on the internet because of my distance from anyone selling the Stromer bikes. One has way too much money invested in the machine to not have it serviced as needed. Stromer has been great with any of the problems I have run into (as in replacing my OMNI unit). They sent a new unit along with instructions on how to install it correctly. I communicate with them whenever I fell the need and their service is way above par in my experience.
In regard to shifting, I had to reteach myself to let up on the pedaling pressure before making gear changes, finding that I was exerting more pressure because of the electric assist on keeping a steady cadence. I still miss a decent shift once in awhile, but it is much improved. I have carbon fork on my bike but am looking into a handlebar stem that has elastomer properties similar to the BodyFloat which I have installed on my seat post at (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) suspension-stem. Check it out, especially so if you have some rough riding patches on your commute. Best of luck with your new purchase and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have mine...it is a great bike! I enjoyed your post...

ORDER:

RECEIVING:

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

200 MILE REVIEW:

SUMMARY:

What kind of impact do you have from the front fork? I see one person mentioned the Redshift Shockstop to lessen feedback from the road. I think I'll add that to my Trek XM700+.

What kind of impact do you have from the front fork? I see one person mentioned the Redshift Shockstop to lessen feedback from the road. I think I'll add that to my Trek XM700+.
It is not that enjoyable.... One of the bike paths I take has a lot of tree root bumps in the asphalt, and I can feel it. Even with the body float I feel the need to get out of the saddle. I have looked into adding something, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

With that said, it is a lot better than I thought it would be. I figured it would be worse, but in reality my carbon road bike (28mm tires) feels just as bad on the hands. I think the 2" wheels are taking a lot of the punishment.

I do agree with others that the carbon fork is not a big enough difference to justify the cost. I believe you can fit the front suspension fork from Stromer on it. The cost would be more than a shockstop or similar, but another route I may consider in a year.

Front suspension on all my Stromers, at least 5 , currently have an st2 and 1, rode the 1 more often then the 2 till I got my front suspension, agree Carbon fork not much help or if it is much more was needed

I keep my PSI around 50 (tire says 35-55). I choose the higher end due to me being a bigger guy (6'3" 220lbs) and figured more PSI would be better - like when I carry weight in my truck. Perhaps I should consider reducing and doing a comparison.

I keep my PSI around 50 (tire says 35-55). I choose the higher end due to me being a bigger guy (6'3" 220lbs) and figured more PSI would be better - like when I carry weight in my truck. Perhaps I should consider reducing and doing a comparison.

I agree with Ravi completely. I have always used max air pressure on my bikes, thinking that it decreases rolling resistance from the tires. I found out thru experimentation that 30-32 psi up front made riding the Stromer a lot more fun. Letting those Big Ben's absorb some of the shock is definitely the way to go. I'm riding a 22" ST-2 at 6'1' and 215 lbs. I tend to run the back tire at 36-37 psi. Good shift patterns and the motor make up of whatever I may have lost in terms of rolling resistance, from this vantage point, and the additional comfort on the bike is well worth it.

The sound is coming from the front fork. But I'll have it checked out. Thanks!!
I had the same problem. My LBS just replaced it for me, no charge. They said it wasn't an issue that I should worry that it'll cause my fork to break, but that the annoyance is enough to replace the fork.

Hi,

I am very interested in this discussion, I am living in Belgium (Europe) and did just test ride a ST1X and a ST2 yesterday to compare.

I could feel the extra torque and power of the ST2 but what surprised me the most are the differences in comfort,…

I tested the two bikes on the exactly same road and speed, the ST2 was way more comfortable, filtering off the small bumps of the road.

So I thought about the carbon fork, is this the explanation of such a big difference?

Or are the differences between the carbon fork VS the aluminium fork normally barely noticeable?

Sadly, I didn’t feel the tire pressure of both bikes so that could be the explanation too.

If anyone could comment about this I really would appreciate, I am ready to buy the ST1X but the ST2 was just so smoother that I am strongly hesitating between those two,… but still think the ST1X price is just on the sweet spot for me.

Also, if you don’t know, the 2018 ST1X will be pretty much different, the price is a little higher, two new colors but also, a new color display, an electric horn and rear light that lights up when pulling the brakes.

On the down side, the shifting and gear will be one step under those of the 2017 model, same thing for the brakes.

Oh yeah and the front light is also different.

From this perspective, the 2017 model is technically better equipped for the price, just to let you know.

Thanks for your reply.
No I did not check the tire pressure.

But now that I am thinking about it, I tested the ST1 and the ST1X last week and the ST1X felt more rigid, solid and confortable compared to the ST1, which has a carbon fork, so I guess it must have to do with the tire pressure.
Do you guys agree that the tire pressure on those bike is more important for the confort than having a carbon or aluminium fork?

Thanks for your reply.
No I did not check the tire pressure.

But now that I am thinking about it, I tested the ST1 and the ST1X last week and the ST1X felt more rigid, solid and confortable compared to the ST1, which has a carbon fork, so I guess it must have to do with the tire pressure.
Do you guys agree that the tire pressure on those bike is more important for the confort than having a carbon or aluminium fork?

Carbon fork does make a difference.
The motor on the ST2 has little more power, and of course the battery is bigger.
How these two bikes were setup also counts. Whichever bike you pick, it'll be good to go with the 814whr battery.

Hi, thanks for your comment.
In fact I did directly upgrade the ST1X with the 814 battery.

But I am still hesitating with the ST2, the extra power is nice of course but I don't really need it, I found the ST1X power very nice.
There Magura brakes on the ST2 are nice but I did not really feel a difference with the Dektro.

There is just this carbon fork thing VS the aluminium on the ST1X.

You say it makes a difference but how can I quantify that?
Is it really a must have?
What's the benefits of the carbon fork?

We I test ride the bikes, ST1, ST1X and ST2, I still have the feeling that the tire pressure is more important for a good comfort.

Back