ST1 never shows regenerative arrows

larkin

Hey guys, trouble shooting question.

I'm enjoying my ST1 but I'm not sure if regenerative breaking is working at all. There are three arrows that can each individually be displayed that point to the battery figure on the LCD. There's also three arrows pointing away from the battery that communicate how much power is being drawn (apparently there are three levels of power draw). The arrows point to the batter are supposed to indicate the rate of battery charging going on as a result of breaking. The problem is I have never seen any of those arrows displayed. I break, the LCD displays the change in mode to rengen 2 but never any arrows. Is this a bug?

Battery level must be below 70% and a code set in the to display in service mode to allow regen to 1 . the code is in the manual which I don't have near me currently

Mark

Thanks opimax, that's something I noticed when test riding the ST1. Pretty sophisticated design, I wonder if it actually does not regen unless below 70% in order to avoid overcharging? I've also heard that it's idea to keep Lithium batteries between 50% and 90% at all times to avoid degradation. Would love to see the manual if you can snap a pic or quote it later.

Mark, I have recuperation on in the config and my battery is at 60% and still I get no >>>[ ] arrows :-/

Court, it was on by default on my US ST1. You can check my holding the mode and right most button at the same time for 4 seconds. Then enter 1009 as the code and hold the mode button for 4 seconds. You'll see a 1 if it's on a 0 if off.

It only regens with the right (rear) brake handle, not left. Call 800 819 4262 or shop where purchased. Does it say recup and no arrows or act like the handle wasn't pulled ar all? When standing still and the lever is pulled it should say recoup but no arrows.

Mark

It says RECOUP 2, but no arrows whenever I squeeze the right break. I've tried different levels of break pressure while going down a hill and still no joy. I'll give that number a try, thanks.

Good luck larkin! If you figure it out I'd love to hear back. I'd try to help more with this but am traveling to California right now to visit Currie and check out the new Haibikes and stuff. There are a couple BH reps that stop by the forums here. One is Under Cover Brother, you could direct message him for help.

Hi Court,

Good news. I was riding around tonight and breaked and saw those fine arrows for the first time. I'm in Berkeley, CA. Enjoy your trip.

So, this time I confirmed when I returned home that my battery was at 55%. I did this by cycling through the display stats. Last time I tried to get the arrows, I just eye balled the battery figure and thought it was at 50%, but maybe the glass was fuller than I thought.

Battery level must be below 70% and a code set in the to display in service mode to allow regen to 1 . the code is in the manual which I don't have near me currently

Mark
Thanks Mark. Maybe that will work on my 2012 elite. Can't seem to have both regen and pedal assist modes engaged at the same time.

Mark you were right.. Got the SOC below 70% and the regen does work.. Didn't really notice any change in the rear disc braking effort... every little bit counts

Last edited:
As eastsidebiker noted in another thread, change ST1's code 1011 and you'll notice a big difference in RECUP braking.
I changed my RECUP strength (code 1011) from 5 to 50 and the motor slowdown in RECUP is notable now.
As a matter of fact it is a little too notable that I almost lost my balance at a left turn today, using one hand to signal traffic and one to turn and use
the brake. So adjust to your skill level and as appropriate.

from eastsidebiker:
"1011=default05 recuperation strength. Changed to 50 this really slows you down fast with the engine, pretty awesome actually."

Back